Windows 10: W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ?

Discus and support W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there With Adobe Photoshop and Office already going subscription will W9 be a subscription / Cloud based service or not. I really don't like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Mar 23, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ?

Hi there
    With Adobe Photoshop and Office already going subscription will W9 be a subscription / Cloud based service or not. I really don't like the idea of subscription based models but it seems that the market is moving inevitably towards that type of business model.

Android seems to survive very well as a Cloud based OS without people having to install it on their phones / tablets - but then depending on your supplier you are highly dependant on their bloat / ad / trial / crap ware so I'm not in favour of OS'es you can't locally install either - local installs mean you can remove all the rubbish and get your system running how you want it to.

Get your Old Windows OS'es ready for running under VM software and get your Linux handbooks out again.

The "Whisper" feature at Redmond says there's a lot of discussion over the next model - hopefully the non subscription faction will win out.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 23, 2014

2. Photos App on Windows 10

I tried in the shell, and I get an error message that is about a paragraph of script

I am over it. I do not like the app based platform, and the apparent shift to subscription based programs and cloud storage. With all the computer hacks, why in the world would I want my personal documents stored on a cloud, not to mention the people that
    lost their docs entirely when windows did an upgrade to cloud.

Taking the computer back and getting one that has an os that is not windows 10. Too many app programs that do not have delete capabilities like xbox, seriously, I am over 50 years old and have no use for xbox taking up storage on my computer. I should
    not have to go to powershell to delete something, when the previous uninstall feature worked just fine.

Hopefully microsoft will rethink this whole app, cloud and subscription push. The subscriptions alone can add up to more money than they are worth if you only use them occasionally

Scrappy1937, Mar 23, 2014
  3. GlenMuse Win User
    When will 64-bit Office Outlook 2010 sync with Windows Mobile devices? Is a beta WMDC available?

By cloud with no USB based option? Won't that mean some sort of additional subscription? So, if this is the sync solution - how do I do this with my WM phone? Since syncing stopped working my phone has become pretty worhless to me.

GlenMuse, Mar 23, 2014
  4. LittleJay Win User

That is exactly what I will do. A cloud based OS is a not going happen in my case. *Sad

LittleJay, Mar 24, 2014
  5. Rickkins Win User
    Same here. No way no how.

Rickkins, Mar 24, 2014
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    This is the first time hearing of this, and after thinking about it just don't see it happening. Not sure why some people (very minute amount) are saying Chrome is doing good (haven't found put any one I know who have bought a chrome book that likes them. In fact they are wishing they hadn't because they cannot put XP or Win 7 on them, albeit as we all know it takes all kinds. . .:arghh:
    BTW Jimbo thinks for the . . .*Roflmao2*Thumbs

7. That's not something I'd buy into.

alphanumeric, Mar 26, 2014
  8. Britton30 Win User

MS may well do this, since they seem to be on self destruct sequence with their heads fully inserted.

Britton30, Mar 29, 2014
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Please this MS and self destruct is getting old. There is nothing showing this as happening, nor the possibility of this happening in the near or far future.

10. Tony K Win User
    Don't ever see MS creating a cloud OS. They will continue to be native. However, we can expect to see more of service applications in their upcoming releases. Not to worry, though, for one will be able to use a local account never to see the light of those services if that's what one chooses.

A majority of MS profit isn't from advertising as the likes of Google. Don't see MS as being a "pushy" corp like Google, nor do I see Apple as such either. However, there is a lot of profit in advertising, related data collection, and sales services.

If ever the day comes where I don't have a choice is the day I look elsewhere.

Tony K, Mar 29, 2014
  11. Britton30 Win User
    I fully agree and I hope they will find a good path for users. Win ME, 2000, Vista, Win 8.......even the first iteration of the beloved XP was full of faults. There is no way to tell the future, but history is a good teacher, Beta Max, 8-track, Edsel, et.al. weren't listening to real people, just engineers and designers.

Britton30, Mar 30, 2014
  12. Gotta agree with you about the chromebooks. I only know one "owner" and he hates it and its sitting on a shelf gathering dust. "A waste of money". I was kicked off a site permanently and my account deleted for saying this very thing.

indianacarnie, Mar 31, 2014
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    It's quite funny really about XP -- I remember when it started it was called Windows expensive (XP in expensive !!) and the activation system was really complained about.

Now just about every man and his dog is posting about how to keep XP running and using VM's etc. People have got used to it and in spite of serious flaws about security etc it was on the whole really user friendly. and probably will remain as the most popular user OS of all time.

I'm just updating my last copy -- Office 2010 and the last 174 updates !!! finally before Ms shuts down the update service. I'm running it very happily as a VM on Linux mate (same with 8.1 and W7). Haven't updated XP for nearly a year now but I'm giving it one final go before the service is shut down --I have some expensive hardware for cutting Vinyl discs that only runs on XP - even in a VM - new hardware is out of the question - if I could even FIND IT. !!

If W9 is anything even as half as popular as XP Ms will be on to a winner. W8.1 is passable if you switch to desktop and don't bother with a lot of the cruddy apps in "the Store".

Ms is a corporation that actually does want to make money so they will change the OS eventually to suit its users - but I do hope the subscription model isn't going to be too widely used (aka Office 365).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 31, 2014
  14. LittleJay Win User
    Everybody is critical of Microsoft for failing to serve it's individual consumers, but from what I've read it doesn't need them to be profitable. There are two divisions serving enterprise customers, Microsoft Business Division and Server & Tools. Microsoft Business Division makes the Microsoft Office productivity suite, which includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Server & Tools makes the software used to run large computer networks for big companies. Together, these two businesses account for almost 58% of fiscal 2013 sales and 73% of operating income.

LittleJay, Mar 31, 2014
  15. Britton30 Win User
    They are making a lot of potential users for Linux or <gasp> iStuff. I don't think they can afford to throw away 42% of "useless" sales, or 27% of operating income.
    @Jimbo, I initially resisted XP, even having 98SE installed on a new XP machine I bought. After SP2 and SP3 it came into maturity.

Britton30, Apr 1, 2014
Thema:

1. W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ? - Similar Threads - Cloud Based Subscription

2. Cloud based face categorizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloud based face categorizing: Hi, I'm trying to activate the categorization for faces in windows photo app.Sadly it always just finds a few images ~200 out of around 5000 and a lot of faces are not rekognized.Is this because the photos have to be stored in OneDrive for the app to scan them correctly?If...
  3. Cloud based face categorizing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloud based face categorizing: Hi, I'm trying to activate the categorization for faces in windows photo app.Sadly it always just finds a few images ~200 out of around 5000 and a lot of faces are not rekognized.Is this because the photos have to be stored in OneDrive for the app to scan them correctly?If...
  4. W9

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W9: I need a copy of a signed W9 for 2021 to process an order. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w9/f8d5ab1f-a6c3-4131-912e-f0bafca82acc
  5. W9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W9: I need a copy of a signed W9 for 2021 to process an order. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w9/f8d5ab1f-a6c3-4131-912e-f0bafca82acc
  6. W9

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft W9

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft W9: Hello. I am in need of Microsoft's W9 in order to add them to our AP system. I see many other people asking for the same but I have been unable to find the W9. Can you please provide it?...
  8. cloud-based windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cloud-based windows 10: Is there a cloud-based virtual Windows 10 machine that will run an app I usually run on my pc? Can I upload the app to that machine? Several people need to be able to run the app. It is a single-user app on a stand alone pc....
  9. Subscription Basis Only?

in Windows 10 Support
    Subscription Basis Only?: I just read that Win 10 is to be available on a subscription (online downloadable) basis only. If that is true, how does a computer homebuilder (who normally buys a builder's OS DVD to insert upon first boot from the BIOS) install Win 10 since the homebuilt computer will not...
  10. W9 For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    W9 For Free: ZDnet wrote a article about W9 and said it could very well be free since W8 failed to attract business people and many are looking at Apple applications. 1438