Windows 10: Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd

Discus and support Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 PC acting as a media server. I want it to sleep unless needed. To make the use easy, especially for my wife, I want to have a WOL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 56Kruiser, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd

I have a Win 10 PC acting as a media server. I want it to sleep unless needed.

To make the use easy, especially for my wife, I want to have a WOL packet sent to it when I boot or login to another PC. I can accomplish the remote wake with Wolcmd.

I have written a batch file that I can run from a CMD prompt which wakes the computer fine.

But, when I run that bat file via the Task scheduler, it does not wake the PC. I have turned on History Logging and see that it is running. Really don't need that, as I see it open a CMD window and run.

I can't imagine why it won't work from the Task Scheduler.

Any ideas?

:)

56Kruiser, Jan 17, 2016

2. Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10

Okay guys I solved it.

I did 2 things simultaneously so not exactly sure which worked, just do both:

1. Enable Event Log service

Go to control panel >> Administrative tools

or

Start button and type: Administrative tools

Click on Services

Find Windows Event Log, if it's not running right click it and Start it

if Start is not an option

Right click it >> Properties >> Change startup type form Disabled to Manual or Automatic.

>>Apply >>OK >>right click it again and Start. It should say Running...

2. Run the System File Checker scan

Open windows commander (win+R, type cmd)

In commander type "sfc /scannow"

System will start scan. On my machine it found some errors and repaired them.

After it's finished, restart your PC

and voila! - everything works

AndrejCholodov, Jan 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 PC wakes spontaneuously shortly after going into sleep state--behavior started after the November 2015 update

Your comment about the magic packet induced me to do something I should have known to do from the outset: check the wake-up settings of the network adapter. I actually do want to be able to wake up the PC remotely using an app that send a magic
    packet. However, I don't want any packet to wake the PC--just a magic packet.

When I went to look at the adapter properties I saw that "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox was checked (as I expect/want) but the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" sub-checkbox was cleared (which is not what I want).
    I'm pretty sure I went through these settings months back when I got the whole sleep/remote-wake thing working in the first place. I'm tempted to believe that the upgrade cleared the "Only allow a magic packet ..." checkbox. (After all, the upgrade changed
    my default browser setting back to Edge when it had been Chrome.)

Anyway, I set that second checkbox and hopefully things will behave better now.

Thanks for your help.

Nathaniel Mishkin, Jan 17, 2016
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

NVM...I figured it out.

Even though the bat file and the wolcmd.exe were in the same directory, I needed to specify the path to wolcmd.exe within the batch file.

The batch file,when run from the Task Scheduler, does not look in it's own directory. So, with no path variable set up for that directory, it was failing.

56Kruiser, Jan 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Wake remote Win 10 PC-> Wolcmd command-> Works manual, not in cmd - Similar Threads - Wake remote Wolcmd

2. CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell: I'm trying to call 'cmd' inside Windows PowerShell console in order to get to work immediately with Command Prompt mode, but I got this message instead:I know I can use Command Prompt outside of PowerShell, but this is a special case.Any suggestions about how can I revert...
  3. CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell

in Windows 10 Customization
    CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell: I'm trying to call 'cmd' inside Windows PowerShell console in order to get to work immediately with Command Prompt mode, but I got this message instead:I know I can use Command Prompt outside of PowerShell, but this is a special case.Any suggestions about how can I revert...
  4. command shutdown dont work in cmd

in Windows 10 Customization
    command shutdown dont work in cmd: When enter comand "shutdown -s " in CMD get message " shutdown' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" . What must do to solve this problem?...
  5. All CMD Commands No longer Work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All CMD Commands No longer Work: Hi all, When I restarted my pc this morning I noticed a tool that requires a CMD command to run properly wasnt working and was giving the error: 'cls' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I thought that it was just a program...
  6. Cipher command on cmd not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cipher command on cmd not working: [ATTACH] When I try to use the cipher command on cmd, this happens. Can anyone help? I am using windows 10 home edition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cipher-command-on-cmd-not-working/284fa5fd-7158-4303-a9e0-394f7a00fed8
  7. Command not working in Windows terminal but working in cmd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Command not working in Windows terminal but working in cmd: Hello, I am trying to use windows terminal, however I can't use any command see picture. I've tried to reinstall it and run as administrator but doesn't change anything Do you have an idea of what I can do? Kind regards [ATTACH]...
  8. Wake up A PC remotely

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake up A PC remotely: hi i am asking is there is build in feature in windows no third party software to start a computer if its shut down remotely either from same network or from home. regards...
  9. Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 updates - manually install on remote PC: I have a Win 10 desktop at a remote location running several security cameras. The Internet connection there is via an LTE modem on a data plan. I wish to download Win 10 updates at home where I have wide-band Internet service then bring the updates to the remote PC e.g.,...
  10. CMD CD command not working. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD CD command not working. Why?: I typed cd e: at command prompt and am still stuck at C:\Windows\system32>. Why?! Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>cd e: E:\ C:\Windows\system32> 71420

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wolcmd directory

2. wolcmd wont work cmd