Windows 10: Waking pc from sleep with the mouse

Discus and support Waking pc from sleep with the mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Up until yesterday, if my pc was in sleep mode and I wanted to use it, I simply had to click the mouse and it would kick into life. That doesn't happen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bluenose1940, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Waking pc from sleep with the mouse

Up until yesterday, if my pc was in sleep mode and I wanted to use it, I simply had to click the mouse and it would kick into life. That doesn't happen anymore and I can't seem to get the answer.

I thought about doing a system restore but I discovered this morning that the option is disabled by default and that you have to activate it manually. I have done this now but of course, it is of little use with this problem.

I have been on to the Microsoft Community and asked the question but as of this moment it hasn't been cracked.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you

:)

Bluenose1940, Jul 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 updates shut down pc, not restart.

Every time W10 updates (you know, at 4am), it shuts down my pc entirely, and doesn't return it to the mode I left it in.

Hibernate is off / set to never, so the PC should enter hybrid sleep. I don't have a password set for waking from hybrid sleep, and neither my mouse nor keyboard work to wake up the PC, I have to full on power button, and enter my password, so I know it's
    going to full shut down and not hybrid sleep.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Also, my mouse won't wake up my pc from hybrid sleep, only keyboard, and I can't find a setting to change it either in the mouse settings or windows settings (it's USB like the keyboard, so should wake on USB, but doesn't).

Help please? !! Waking pc from sleep with the mouse :)

BreeDulmage, Jul 6, 2016
  3. RADZ71 Win User
    windows 10 sleep mode

I also have the same issue here are my observations. When trying to wake the PC from sleep mode: There is a
    very brief hard drive response, the hard drive stops, with a message "entering sleep mode", No additional inputs from the "ESC" key or mouse have any effect in waking the system, the PC goes back to sleep mode.
    At this point a "hard shutdown" is required to get the PC operational.

RADZ71, Jul 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Waking pc from sleep with the mouse

Make sure the mouse driver is set to wake up the device from sleep.

Waking pc from sleep with the mouse [​IMG]

philc43, Jul 6, 2016
  5. Hi philc43, yes I've done that and other things as well, without any joy I'm afraid.

Bluenose1940, Jul 6, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Have a look at Reliability history and see if you can work out what happened yesterday (any new driver installs or software updates) that might have triggered this problem. If you do not know how to find Reliability History just type reliability into the search box.

philc43, Jul 6, 2016
  7. Hi philc43, that's an interesting pointer you have provided. I have had a look at it but I don't really understand what I am looking at though. On 27/06/2016 I have a red cross and an exclamation mark against this date, there is also four other dates that are showing a red cross. One of the errors is saying that Port Changer.exe stopped working.
    Anyway, all that aside, I came to my pc this morning after being away from it for about 14 hours and, without thinking, I automatically clicked the mouse and would you believe it, it kicked into life. I immediately put the thing back to sleep and tried it again and yes, it is all working perfectly again. How can that be?
    Thanks for the pointer to the Reliability History. In the odd spare moments I get. I will study it and get a better understanding of things.

Bluenose1940, Jul 7, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

I am posting a screenshot of my Reliability History, the informational events are what tell you which drivers and apps have been updated. As you can see I had a printer driver installed yesterday and some Windows updates. It is often these updates that can cause things to change and I always believe you should apply a restart to your system after any significant update to make sure all the system files are properly updated and working. If you have done a recent restart that could be the explanation for why your mouse is now working again.

philc43, Jul 7, 2016
  9. Hi again philc43, thanks again for that, very useful info.

I notice in your ID at the side of your posts that you show the Windows build number. is there a way that I can tell what mine is and if it is the latest?

Bluenose1940, Jul 8, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    Yes, there are a number of ways to do this. In the Settings -> System page on the About screen you will find the OS Build number.

You can also type winver in the search box and select the run Winver command which will display a box with the information.

philc43, Jul 8, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    You may have a program that turns one of your USB Ports into a Charging Port for a Phone , they have been around for years but tend to be unreliable ,so I usually uninstall as I don't charge from Computer anyway.

Kbird, Jul 8, 2016
  12. Hello folks, I thought that I would revive this thread in case what I have found today will be of some help to others. It follows on from what Kbird said at #9 above.

For the past couple of days I encountered the 'wake pc with mouse' problem again and, I noticed that I had left a couple of USB leads plugged in, they are used for FitBits and phone charging. Even though only the leads were plugged in, i.e. with no device on the other end, the 'wake-up' problem persisted. Just now I found that by removing these leads, the problem disappeared. I tried the 'wake-up' procedure numerous times and it is all working perfectly.
    The answer then seems to be 'Don't leave unused USB leads plugged in'.

Bluenose1940, Jul 20, 2017
  13. Kbird Win User

Thanks Bluenose ...an interesting followup , is either cable "more than" just a cable ? like a dock for the Fitbit etc? it maybe that it needs better Drivers if so ....

on a side note : this computer was just updated to 1703 this week and I find the best way now to find the Reliability Monitor now is to type

perfmon /rel
    into the Run box after right clicking the start icon.

OR

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Waking pc from sleep with the mouse - Similar Threads - Waking sleep mouse

2. Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep: Hi, I am using a Logitech M720 mouse and MX keys keyboard, when PC goes to sleep, these will not wake it up from sleep. They will wake up my work laptop. I need to wake my home PC up using a second M310 logitech mouse. Once woken, the keyboard and mouse are useable. Running...
  3. Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep: Hi, I am using a Logitech M720 mouse and MX keys keyboard, when PC goes to sleep, these will not wake it up from sleep. They will wake up my work laptop. I need to wake my home PC up using a second M310 logitech mouse. Once woken, the keyboard and mouse are useable. Running...
  4. Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc waking from sleep: So, I have this problem where my pc immediately wakes itself up from sleep. I have done everything like powercfg, power management to disable wake up but nothing works. Powercfg lastwake shows type: fixed feature and source: power button. But, I'm sure it's not happening...
  6. Cannot wake PC from sleep with keyboard/mouse

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot wake PC from sleep with keyboard/mouse: OS: Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) I am unable to wake the PC from sleep with the keyboard or mouse. I took several steps and spoke at length with a microsoft tech who could not solve the problem. Here is the changes I made: -Under device manager i made sure...
  7. Strange USB mouse behavior - wake PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB mouse behavior - wake PC from sleep: I Have a USB mouse plugged into a USB 2 port on my PC's back panel. For years I've I've awakened the PC from sleep using a mouse click. Several days ago I replaced a USB 2 hub (plugged into another USB 2 port on the back panel) with a USB 3 hub plugged into a USB 3 port on...
  8. Suddenly keyboard & mouse no longer wake PC from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly keyboard & mouse no longer wake PC from sleep.: For at least a couple years sleep and wake (from kybd or mouse) worked every time. Then about a week ago it quit waking from either. Power settings are correct, as they have been for years. I ran the power troubleshooter and all that did was schedule my SSD hard disk to...
  9. Mouse keeps waking up PC from sleep

Mouse keeps waking up PC from sleep: Hi, I am trying to prevent my mouse from waking up my PC and currently haven't found a solution. Things tried: Wake up feature from the mouse is currently unticked. In the keyboard section there are two HID keyboards. The second one is the mouse, since when I unticked...
  10. Keyboard & Mouse won't wake PC from sleep

Keyboard & Mouse won't wake PC from sleep: Up until recently, I have either put my laptop to sleep or let it go to sleep at the end of the day. The next morning I would hit either the mouse or keyboard (probably mostly the esc key just because it's sort of prominent at the corner). Some time recently, I haven't been...