Windows 10: Waking up laptop through USB mouse/keyboard?

Discus and support Waking up laptop through USB mouse/keyboard? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, that's a problem I actually had since Windows 8: Whenever my laptop goes to sleep, the only way to wake it up is through the laptop's keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mibaup Win User

Waking up laptop through USB mouse/keyboard?

Hello, that's a problem I actually had since Windows 8:
    Whenever my laptop goes to sleep, the only way to wake it up is through the laptop's keyboard (pressing any key on the keyboard). But when I press the USB keyboard or the USB mouse, it doesn't wake up.
    I use my laptop mostly as a "desktop": I connect it through an HDMI cable to a larger 24" monitor, and the laptop is lying closed in the corner. It is just annoying to open the laptop and press the keyboard.. not a big deal, but if it's possible to change that it will be good *Smile!
    Thanks!

:)

mibaup, Aug 27, 2015
  2. Itracm Win User

Windows 10 restarts upon closing the laptop lid

I stopped looking for a problem once solved, which it seems to be.

However, the 'waking up' (I'm guessing) was caused by a peripheral device communicating with the laptop. In my case, a usb wireless mouse.

I suggest looking at anything that may be communicating with your computer and waking it up. e.g. hard-wired ethernet, USB, Infra-Red, bluetooth, WIFI, and microphone. This list is not exhaustive.

Good luck.

Itracm, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Computer wake-up

I am using my computer attached to a dock which has a connected monitor. My computer is set to stay on when the lid is closed. My keyboard is connected with a USB through the dock. My mouse is Bluetooth. When I sleep/hibernate the computer, I cannot wake
    up the machine using the keyboard or the mouse. I need to open the lid and hit the spacebar or the power button. Is there a setting that would allow the mouse or the keyboard to wake up the computer while the lid is closed?

Robert Sugar, Aug 27, 2015
  4. PJLLB Win User

In your power settings do you have the mouse enabled as a wakeup device?

PJLLB, Aug 27, 2015
  5. mibaup Win User
    Thanks! How do I reach these settings?

mibaup, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Right click on your task bar window and you should see power options it will be in there

hTconeM9user, Aug 27, 2015
  7. mibaup Win User
    I looked in the Power Options but I can't find where it is. so I went through Device Manager, and under the Power Managment tab of the Mouse (and the usb keyborad as well) the "Allow this device to wake up the computer" already have "V" near them.
    What is it? Now that I recall, I also tried that on my Windows 8 machine (I think I might even find my post from Windows 8 Forums). So that didn't work either

mibaup, Aug 27, 2015
  8. mibaup Win User

Anyone knows if there's a way to still make it work?

mibaup, Sep 2, 2015
  9. gsoClarke Win User
    I'm giving this a go. The idea is that the computer is turning off power to the USB root hub when it sleeps, to save power, thus preventing a USB keyboard/mouse from communicating with the system, e.g., waking it up. Won't know until tomorrow if it works.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-t...ff-usb-device/

Next day follow up: No, this did not work. The usb keyboard/mouse would not wake up the laptop this morning. Any ideas out there?

gsoClarke, Jan 2, 2016
  10. winwhat Win User
    I have fixed my win10 laptop to wakeup using keyboard and mouse by doing the following. Navigate to the old window 7 control panel screen. In control panel/ hardware and sound/ power options/ edit plan settings/, Select change advance settings. In pop up window under SLEEP/ Allow sleep timers/ On battery and Plugged In should both be ENABLED.

winwhat, Apr 21, 2016
  11. Mibaup, this might not be it, but I have the same problem on one of my ;laptops. It has successfully gone from 8 to 8.1 to 10 and still has the problem. The solution?

The hardware does not support waking it up from the keyboard or mouse, even though the options are there in Windows. I have to press the Power button and it wakes up quickly.

Vince Massi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Waking up laptop through USB mouse/keyboard? - Similar Threads - Waking laptop through

2. External keyboard and mouse are waking up the Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse are waking up the Laptop: Hello,I have a problem regarding sleep state on my laptop. I am using laptop in docking setup and have external mouse and keyboard. I want to put laptop to sleep state when I am now working. I disabled keyboard and mouse to be able to wake it up. To be exact I do not have any...
  3. External keyboard and mouse are waking up the Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External keyboard and mouse are waking up the Laptop: Hello,I have a problem regarding sleep state on my laptop. I am using laptop in docking setup and have external mouse and keyboard. I want to put laptop to sleep state when I am now working. I disabled keyboard and mouse to be able to wake it up. To be exact I do not have any...
  4. Laptop won't wake up with external mouse/keyboard

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't wake up with external mouse/keyboard: Hi all,Just started using my Acer Aspire R5-471T-52EE Ultrabook as a desktop and it works flawlessly otherwise, but when I use it as a desktop, it refuses to be awoken with the external mouse and keyboard both USB. I've changed every possible setting in Power settings to make...
  5. Laptop won't wake up with external mouse/keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't wake up with external mouse/keyboard: Hi all,Just started using my Acer Aspire R5-471T-52EE Ultrabook as a desktop and it works flawlessly otherwise, but when I use it as a desktop, it refuses to be awoken with the external mouse and keyboard both USB. I've changed every possible setting in Power settings to make...
  6. Laptop won't wake up with external mouse/keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Wake up laptop with mouse

Wake up laptop with mouse: Im using a HP Zbook laptop and a logitech MX master 3 mouse, I cannot get the mouse to waken the laptop, anyone offer any help please? 183555
  8. Wake from USB keyboard/mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake from USB keyboard/mouse: Hello, I am trying to make it so my windows 10 laptop will wake via my USB connected keyboard/mouse. From everything I read the main routes are to either go to device manager and right clicked on Keyboard, then properties, and then the power management tab, but none of my...
  9. USB keyboard and mouse very slow to wake up

USB keyboard and mouse very slow to wake up: When I wake my PC up from sleep with a press of the keyboard or wiggle of the mouse, the PC shows the login screen instantly but the mouse and keyboard don't respond to inputs for ages and I sit there waiting until I can log in. The keyboard is wired, the mouse is a Logitech...
  10. Mouse and Keyboard not working after laptop wake-up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse and Keyboard not working after laptop wake-up.: I am using a dell E5430 and I never had any issue like this up to now. Every time I put my laptop on sleep and then wake up, my mouse and keyboard stop working so I need to make an Hard-restart with the help of the power button as it became 100% unresponsive. I have...