Windows 10: Wandering desktop icons

Discus and support Wandering desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know this has been brought up before but I don't remember seeing a satisfactory fix. This is absolutely my biggest problem with Windows 10. I guess... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldspook, Feb 11, 2016.

1. oldspook Win User

Wandering desktop icons

I know this has been brought up before but I don't remember seeing a satisfactory fix. This is absolutely my biggest problem with Windows 10. I guess I'm just a neat freak that likes a place for everything and everything in its place.

Can this be fixed? if OR what is the best work around?

:)

oldspook, Feb 11, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

A continuing problem is desktop icons don't stay where I put them on my Windows 10 computer

The Windows desktop was not designed to permanently maintain the position of icons. Not in 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc. You'll need third-party software to do that. Here's one well-known program:

Fences
    , by Stardock.

Cue the icons:

They call me the wanderer

Yeah, the wanderer

I roam around, around, around

BulldogXX, Feb 11, 2016
  3. Wandering mouse

Hi,

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to adjust the mouse speed and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• Type mouse on the search bar and select Mouse and touchpad settings.
    • Select Additional Mouse Settings.
    • Select Pointer Options and adjust the mouse speed under Motion.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 11, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Wandering desktop icons

5. sn00ker Win User
    I use a tiny little program call Desktop Restore ( Midiox ) , works great on windows 10 32 or 64 bits, just choice the correct bit version. How to use it right click on the Desktop, click save. If you need to restore, same thing right click on the desktop, select restore, if you like just click link below

MIDIOX

sn00ker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Wandering desktop icons

1. Wandering desktop icons - Similar Threads - Wandering desktop icons

2. Missing/Wandering SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing/Wandering SSD: I have an odd issue. One of my SSD dives disappears seemingly randomly, even if i'm running a program off of it. program will freeze, shut down, and produce an error #134 If i restart it might be there but maybe not. When it comes back it has all of the files, so its not...
  3. desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icon: how do I get the edge desktop icon onto the desk top. drag and drop do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon/c319dfe3-84c8-4e70-a042-79c898cc3037
  4. Desktop Icon

Desktop Icon: Out of nowhere new icon appeared on my desktop “removable storage devices” and there is no option to remove it. Pls. help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon/1cc0c65f-aab6-4397-a335-48b79d5a0bc5
  5. Icon to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon to desktop: I would like to put some Application icon on my desktop. Here is what I see when I right click on an application icon: [img] I was looking for the option copy the icon but it is NOT there. How can I get the icon to my desktop? 135272
  6. Print screen and wandering cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Print screen and wandering cursor: I have Windows 10 on my Surface. Suddenly "Prtsc" button stopped working. At the same time the cursor started dancing all over the place once I touch the touch pad. These two started happening since the automatic update (I think). Any body experienced the same? Any solution....
  7. Desktop Icons

Desktop Icons: Hello all Have a new Levano idea pad and have been attempting to post icons on my desktop without any success Any help out there Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/desktop-icons/2a4707b9-e4aa-4a44-9f49-e571bd87b156
  8. Desktop with icons

Desktop with icons: I have lost the page that opens at start up that is my desktop with icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/desktop-with-icons/0200c1b4-6f87-4a32-93bf-04603658ed1d
  9. Desktop icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icon on desktop: Hi, A desktop icon suddenly appeared on my desktop.. If I delete it, the whole desktop is also deleted... The desktop folder on the drive, does not contain that icon. Does anyone has any experience with this scenario? *Smile 5511
  10. Icons wandering

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons wandering: I have installed a program called " Icon Restore" and need this since build 6xxx I have over 30 icons spread accross 2 x 23 inch screens each icon in placed in an area of the screen my question is why do I need to keep using this - no big deal but it should'nt be necessary...