Windows 10: Want good old mspaint.exe and calc.exe from Windows XP back on WIndows

Discus and support Want good old mspaint.exe and calc.exe from Windows XP back on WIndows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings, everyone. As the title reads, I want Windows XP's mspaint.exe and calc.exe for using them on my Windows 10 but the results I'm getting by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MetalTxus, Oct 22, 2016.

1. MetalTxus Win User

Want good old mspaint.exe and calc.exe from Windows XP back on WIndows

Greetings, everyone.

As the title reads, I want Windows XP's mspaint.exe and calc.exe for using them on my Windows 10 but the results I'm getting by searching the net don't seem quite reliable. Is there any still up download link for these? If not, could anybody who lives on a cave and still uses WXP send them to me?

Regards,

:)

MetalTxus, Oct 22, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Where will I find Calculator in Windows 10 and how do I get it to my desktop

If you particularly want to have a shortcut on your Desktop then right-click in an empty area of it, select
    New, Shortcut then enter this in the path

C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe

then click on Next

and enter whatever you want [Calc / Calculator / any old rubbish] for its name.

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Calculator

Hi,

What happens when you type and run "calc.exe" from Run dialog? Last time I checked the Windows Calculator package reinstalled itself automatically when running calc.exe.

Or, open Windows Store, search for Windows Calculator and install from there.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 22, 2016
  4. MetalTxus Win User

That's trouble I'd obviously like to avoid if possible.

MetalTxus, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    You can find re-written versions of both at (winaero) Downloads /software
    (excuse my theme, the windows won't look like that!)

Want good old mspaint.exe and calc.exe from Windows XP back on WIndows [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 22, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Being curious I went to winaero.com and found the calculator but haven't yet found mspaint.

Berton, Oct 22, 2016
  7. You can get one called paint from the store also fresh paint they both work with windows 10 also do a search for paint net which also is kept up to date and works with 10 as I use all 3

hTconeM9user, Oct 22, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Oct 22, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    There's also a link to 'Simple Classic WordPad' in the previous post link.

Edwin, Oct 22, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    If you have an XP install disk you can extract them from that. Their .exe and .chm files are all in the I386 folder in compressed form:
    MSPAINT.EX_ MSPAINT.CH_ CALC.EX_ CALC.CH_
    These can be expanded from a command prompt, for example:
    expand -r mspaint.ex_
    No install required, just put them in a folder and run them from there. Pin to Start for easy access.

Wanting Calc I can understand, it's not a Modern Windows App like its Windows 10 counterpart, but why Paint? Apart from the ribbon interface there seems very little difference between the XP and W10 versions.

11. Berton Win User
    I have the disc but I also still have a usable WinXP computer, and Vista and Win98 and Win98SE and Win3.1/MS-DOS 5. I wasn't thinking ahead and put a nice WinME in Recycle. Win2000 was good but I upgraded that one to WinXP Pro.

Berton, Oct 22, 2016
  12. MetalTxus Win User
    Thanks. Exactly what I needed. I can cross paint out of my list.

The calculator available there has the same issue I want to avoid. It discards decimals for operations with the scientifica calculator and I need to use it for hex to dec and viceversa conversion so it's annoying needing to change all the time between scientific and standard.

Sadly I have none.

With paint I miss the capability to paste an image and make transparent on it the currently selected secondary color:

It was really useful as a workaround for running color replacements. The version provided by Edwin has that and more though so I already have what I needed from it.

MetalTxus, Oct 22, 2016
  13. Berton Win User

If you are comfortable with decompressing files decompress the ones in this .zip file into a Folder. The files themselves are already decompressed.

Berton, Oct 22, 2016
  14. MetalTxus Win User
    Exactly what I needed. Thanks *Smile

MetalTxus, Oct 22, 2016
  15. Neemobeer Win User
    Neemobeer, Oct 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Want good old mspaint.exe and calc.exe from Windows XP back on WIndows - Similar Threads - old mspaint exe

2. Windows 10 Old Photo Viewer .EXE location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Old Photo Viewer .EXE location: Ive installed the old photo viewer from Win7 and it works fine but I got files I cant select it as "open with" even tho I know they can be opened with it. So I need to find the .exe file to select it from the menu but I dont really remember where it got installed or how to...
  3. Windows 10 Old Photo Viewer .EXE location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Old Photo Viewer .EXE location: Ive installed the old photo viewer from Win7 and it works fine but I got files I cant select it as "open with" even tho I know they can be opened with it. So I need to find the .exe file to select it from the menu but I dont really remember where it got installed or how to...
  4. Windows 10 Old Photo Viewer .EXE location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. XP .exe applications not loading on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    XP .exe applications not loading on Windows 10: I had to run HP Recovery on my PC. Before I ran Recovery, I had some important executable applications that ran just fine on Windows 10. Now I am trying to re-load those programs on my device. Nothing happens when I try to run the .exe. I ran the Windows troubleshooter...
  6. .exe

.exe: So i was not able to run Amd.exe . To do so i went to regedit and under Hkey class root .exe i changed the value .exe to “%1” %* but the mistake i made was i did not gave a space after “%1”. So after i restarted my pc i am anot able to open any .exe files i tried...
  7. CMD32.exe window

CMD32.exe window: A CMD32.exe window appears from time to time with the following: FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\acer\updater2\updater2.xml The system cannot find the path specified. Cannot access file C:\Program Files\DriverSetupUtility\FUB\+ FINDSTR: Cannot open...
  8. Rundll32.exe Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Rundll32.exe Problem: Hi Everybody as the title shows i want to completely block Windows Host Processes (Rundll32.exe) from being executed and i am very consistent to do so *sarc because its swallowing my cpu all the time *Mad and im sure that its not a virus it just a droll and useless windows...
  9. Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?: Hi, could someone just post here the checksum from WinHlp32.exe of Windows XP x64? Just want to make sure it's OK. I recently tweaked my Win 10 system to allow me to use outdated help files. This involved downloading said file from an untrusted source. Just wanna be safe. 42597
  10. Media Creation Tool exe (wanted)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool exe (wanted): I am looking for the actual MediaCreationTool.exe for version 10240 I do not want the link to the media creation tool as the link downloads version 10586 I need the older exe file version 10240 Thank You 30008