Windows 10: Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles

Discus and support Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a bunch of browser shortcuts pinned to my Start menu. The shortcuts are in Windows>Start Menu and all have custom icons, selected via Properties... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sidecar Bob, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles

I have a bunch of browser shortcuts pinned to my Start menu. The shortcuts are in Windows>Start Menu and all have custom icons, selected via Properties but the icons appear on the tiles smaller than I'd like.
    I also have a few folders on my network drive pinned to my Start menu and I figured out how to give them custom icons and they are the same size as the ones for the shortcuts.

I would like to make the icons appear larger on the tiles. I wouldn't mind being able to custom color the tiles too.

I have used Tileiconifier to massage the appearance of a few app tiles but it doesn't find the shortcuts so it can't change them.

Any suggestions?

:)

Sidecar Bob, Mar 6, 2018

2. Update changed my desktop

After the recent automatic update my desk top Icons disappeared and now the larger app tiles are shown...

Also some of the windows, such as Firefox browsers are changed. i.e. Can not close any more via tool bar or no button to minimize

How do I go back to the way things were ?

I am not a computer literate.. I only want to use the computer with out the hassle

thanks

Bardovon Korff, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Bert22306 Win User
    Multiple tiles for same shortcut in Win 10 Start menu

I created a shortcut for an app I installed in Windows 10 Pro (version 1703). I pinned that app to the start menu. The icon for the app never wanted to appear in the start menu tile. It was instead some default icon, always. Even though the proper icon did
    appear on the shortcut when on the desktop or if I pinned it to the task bar.

So I right-clicked my shortcut's tile in the start menu, and clicked "open file location." Aha. It took me deep in the app data folder, under my name, windows\start menu\programs, and there was the shortcut and default icon showing up in the list. So I deleted
    that shortcut's entry from the start menu list of programs, thinking that now, if I again pin the shortcut to the start menu, the proper icon will show up.

It did! But at the same time, it created two tiles, not just one. Oh drat, repeat the process. Now it created three tiles. If you "unpin" any one of those, they all disappear. If you again pin the shortcut to the start menu, all of those tiles reappear.

Does anyone know how to end this ridiculous behavior? Is there a way to purge these other copies of the same tile? Many thanks.

Bert22306, Mar 6, 2018
  4. Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles

Nothing? There must be a way to do this....

Sidecar Bob, Mar 17, 2018
  5. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Mar 17, 2018
  6. OK. But to do that I would have to replace the icons with whole tile images, wouldn't I? I just want the icons I am already using to show up 30-50% bigger.

BTW: That demonstration only shows an app tile. Tileiconifier can do all that for app tiles and tiles for folders with a lot less effort but it can't find the browser shortcut tiles

Sidecar Bob, Mar 17, 2018
  7. mart44 Win User
    mart44, Mar 18, 2018
  8. Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles

As I mentioned in post #1, I have used Tileiconifier and it works well on tiles for apps and for folders that but it doesn't find the custom Start menu shortcuts I created. If I could figure out how to make it find those items it would be perfect.

Sidecar Bob, Mar 18, 2018
  9. mart44 Win User
    Sorry Sidecar Bob - I should have better glasses. *Smile

mart44, Mar 18, 2018
  10. That's OK, I've done the same thing. I was hoping you might know how to make Tileiconifier find the other items or know how I can contact Jonno12345 to ask him. I joined Stackexchange where he is active but I can't see any way to contact another member there.

Sidecar Bob, Mar 18, 2018
  11. mart44 Win User
    I find Tileiconifier won't work with Microsoft's own programs but will work with any extra program installed. For instance, Microsoft Office icons can't be made to fill tiles. I did try to find a way but not at length. I'll persist a bit and see what happens.

mart44, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles

1. Want larger icons in browser shortcut tiles - Similar Threads - larger icons browser

2. Replace browser icon on shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replace browser icon on shortcut: How do I copy an image of a website's logo and paste it on the shortcut I created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replace-browser-icon-on-shortcut/cb10aa22-094f-4520-9a09-ac023590e6a9
  3. Replace browser icon on shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace browser icon on shortcut: How do I copy an image of a website's logo and paste it on the shortcut I created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replace-browser-icon-on-shortcut/cb10aa22-094f-4520-9a09-ac023590e6a9
  4. Replace browser icon on shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Tiles and Icons

Tiles and Icons: Why won't my Alienware laptop running an Intel I7-6500U CPU @ 2.50 Ghz, 8 GB ram, 500 GB Hard drive, 64 bit with touch screen. Windows 10 version 1903, with OS build 18362.836. Why won't it save to tiles anymore after last update? Either need ability to have desktop icons or...
  6. Office icons and tiles

Office icons and tiles: I just installed Windows 10. In the start menu, by default, there are live tiles for office apps like Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and some more. When you click some of these, they open up the online Office in a tab in Edge, because clearly, they aren't installed. The thing is,...
  7. Lost Icon Tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Icon Tiles: I have a New laptop but I have lost the App Tiles immediately above the Start....anyone help recover them . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-icon-tiles/646838ac-77a4-495f-80d0-05fe39c05a98
  8. No icon on tile

No icon on tile: When I pin the Crome exe to start menu all is well, but if I change the size to small it will lose the icon and tile is faded? Anyone have a fix for this? 32331
  9. Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon: A couple weeks ago my Windows 10 had a big update. When the computer restarted, my START menu icons (maybe they are called tiles) reverted to to the browser icon. This happened to most tiles in my START menu, which opened a website. See the screen shot below. All of these...
  10. Icons and Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons and Tiles: I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size? Programs have become apps. I know tablets changed our reference words but when an app has more code than some programs isn't it really a program? I...