Windows 10: want to access router but not internet

Discus and support want to access router but not internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I dual boot win 10 and linux. Is there a way with Win 10 I can disable the internet but still acess my router? Thanks. 74526 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bubblegum tate, Jan 10, 2017.

1. want to access router but not internet

Hi, I dual boot win 10 and linux. Is there a way with Win 10 I can disable the internet but still acess my router?

Thanks.

:)

bubblegum tate, Jan 10, 2017

2. Connected to router, but no internet access

Internet has always worked fine until I opened the computer this morning and it had clearly restarted to automatically update over night. The update was a minor Adobe flash player security update so there is no rollback option (update KB4074595). Ethernet
    doesn't work either, all other computers and phones connect to the internet fine.

I have tried:

Using the troubleshooter (gives "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP address" or sometimes "default gateway not available," depending on what I last did to try to fix it)

Turning off anti virus

Restarting the router

Switching to another available adapter (only one adapter is available)

Resetting TCP/IP (with command prompt netsh int commands)

Disabling and re-enabling the WiFi adapter in the adapter settings

Resetting the network

Manually entering IP/gateway (for IPv4)

Using command prompt to release and renew the IP (ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew in command prompt)

Uninstalling the adapter driver and restarting the computer so it reinstalls

The auto obtaining IP setting makes it so command prompt gives an error and says no IP is assigned. Ipconfig/release doesn't list a gateway address, it's blank. The WiFi is not manually turned off, I checked. Once I manually assigned the IP/submask/gateway
    the error changes to 'default gateway is not available' even though that gateway works for the other computers, and none of the recommended fixes work to fix this error either. Because the internet also won't work with an Ethernet cable I don't think it's
    the adapter for the WiFi. I'm on an administrator account and only use command prompt with "run as administrator."

I'm not sure how such a minor update could have affected the internet like this, but I didn't do anything else that could gave caused this (the only thing I've done on this computer for days is watch videos on YouTube). Are there any suggestions I haven't listed
    here that may fix this issue?

turntechGodhead, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Connected to router, but no internet access

These methods also did not work. I decided to completely reinstall windows, and the computer will still not connect to the internet. The only thing this sounds like to me is a hardware problem if this is the case, but I'm not sure how a hardware problem
    could have occurred when the computer was not touched in between the internet working and when it stopped working.

turntechGodhead, Jan 10, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

want to access router but not internet

Your router should be able to turn Internet access on and off. Check the manual for your router and see what you can figure out on your own. If you still need help, post the make and model of your router. For example, I have an Arris DOCSIS 3.0/PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Residential Gateway router which in turn has a Client IPv4 filters page. It can be set up to temporarily block all clients' access to the Internet, after which you will still be able to access the router, but nobody (including you) will be able to access the Internet.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 10, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I doubt if you'd want to block Internet access for all clients at the router - rather inconvenient - plus the fact Windows needs to be connected for many routine functions like updates!

You could let your router block the MAC address of your network/WiFi adapter on the PC. This depends on your router for specific instructions to accomplish this.

You could set your local IP address to static, instead of dynamic using DCHP, and omit the internet gateway address and DNS server address. How to Disable Internet connection without disabling the LAN network - YouTube

You could set up a fake proxy server.

You might want to only block certain users or programs for access:

You could block internet access to the installed browsers with the Windows firewall.

Use an app: Toggle the internet on and off from the system tray, with InternetOff - freewaregenius.com or any "net nanny" family protection program to prevent internet access for particular users.

Fafhrd, Jan 10, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Set a fixed IP but no gateway

Samuria, Jan 10, 2017
  7. Thanks for the replies.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U router. I want my win 10 to be a "closed system": no internet access. I boot the same machine with Linux which I want to have internet access. This is my problem, I can't figure out how to give access to one but not the other.

bubblegum tate, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Fixed IP will work for ten with no gateway Linux get IP via DHCP as normal

Samuria, Jan 10, 2017
  9. I agree with Samuria. The only way I can see this working is to statically assign an IP address not associated with the router to the NIC in Windows and allow DHCP to handle the LInux. Unless you want use an adapter (ethernet or WIFI) on Linux side and block the mac address for the installed NIC.

Nightspear, Jan 11, 2017
  10. Thanks for the continued input.

I think I know how to statically assign an IP address but what do you mean "not associated with the router" to the NIC?

bubblegum tate, Jan 11, 2017
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    In Windows, do not supply an address for the internet gateway - to not associate the router - see the youtube tutorial in post #3 if unsure.

Fafhrd, Jan 11, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    This is extremely easy and fast to do without going to router settings. Simply press WIN + R to open Run dialog, type control inetcpl.cpl and click OK to open Internet Properties. Select Connections tab, click LAN settings:

want to access router but not internet [​IMG]

Select Use a proxy server for your LAN, set it to local host IP 127.0.0.1, click OK to save proxy settings:

want to access router but not internet [​IMG]

Now the Internet is totally blocked but local network connections will work as usual. Takes less than 10 seconds to do. To enable Internet again, just reverse the process unchecking proxy.

13. EdTittel Win User

Great solution, Kari. Wish I'd thought of it. Brilliant!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 11, 2017
  14. Thanks Kari, I'll give it a try!

bubblegum tate, Jan 11, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    Thanks *Smile

You are welcome. That really is the simplest solution taking care of that exact thing, blocking all Internet yet keeping network connections alive.

Thema:

1. want to access router but not internet - Similar Threads - access router internet

2. Router remote access settings?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router remote access settings?: Dear all I was looking through my Router settings, and this one confused me: Screenshot by Lightshot 1. Does it mean remote acccess to my network, or only remote access to the router? 2. The setting below, does it mean, that now everyone can get access to my network or...
  3. 2 routers - access to outside router devices

2 routers - access to outside router devices: I have an ASUS router rt-ac66u behind an HH3000 routerSagecomm 5566. When directly connected to the HH3000 by WiFi, I can see It's USB storage using \\mynetwork in documentation per the ISPs instruction. When only connected to the ASUS i did setup a route and, I can ping...
  4. How to access router

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to access router: I cannot access my router. I keep getting an error that I am blocked by windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-router/6df174be-f781-4ca0-8ba3-bcfd7d040571
  5. Access USB Plugged into Router

Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  6. Router TP LINK - no internet access for few seconds. Question.

Router TP LINK - no internet access for few seconds. Question.: Hello. My router TP LINK. Have an question. Connected to wall. Laptop wifi. Yesterday get No internet access for only 5-6 seconds and then internet back and no issues. Is this something with router , or ignore this? I ask because 2 weeks ago i had power out due to washing...
  7. Can't access router.

Can't access router.: MY configuration: I an trying to adjust to a recent change in my home network. I have Comcast phone, TV and Internet. The Comcast modem/router/Tele connection is in the basement. To have strong wireless upstairs, on the 2nd floor -- at the other end of the cable -- is another...
  8. Router Internet exremly SLOW!!!

Router Internet exremly SLOW!!!: I posted this in the Network forum - but did not receive a good response. Hope it's OK to post it here for a better response. I use COX Cable and pay for 100Gbps. That speed arrives at the modem (the router is separate as of now). When my computer is only three feet from the...
  9. Router Internet VERY SLOW!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Router Internet VERY SLOW!!!: I posted this in the Network forum - but did not receive a good response. Hope it's OK to post it here for a better response. I use COX Cable and pay for 100Gbps. That speed arrives at the modem (the router is separate as of now). When my computer is only three feet from the...
  10. Can't get Internet access on my router

Can't get Internet access on my router: I have a desktop connected by wire to my Bell modem. I also have a laptop connected via wifi. I had a problem with updates not installing on the laptop so I did a restore to a previous save (about two weeks ago. When it completed, I can recognize my modem (Bell500) but when I...