Windows 10: Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed...

Discus and support Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'll be taking my roommate's current Windows 10 laptop on Thursday. She set my account up on her current system today. If I delete her account on... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by thecpchick, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed...

I'll be taking my roommate's current Windows 10 laptop on Thursday. She set my account up on her current system today. If I delete her account on Thursday, when I take over the system, will all her programs uninstall as well?
    (She has Chrome, CCleaner and Origin I'd like to keep installed for my use)

When she set my account up, she DID set me as administrator (which is good) and all the programs I want to keep WERE available, we just had to pin them to my taskbar.

I had to download the APPS I wanted (Twitter and FB), but all the programs she manually installed were available for me to use.

Is it possible to delete her user account, yet keep all the downloaded/installed programs on the system?

If so, do I have to do anything special besides just deleting her account?

(Please ignore the Chrome OS... This is what I am using to post this. *Wink)

:)

thecpchick, Jun 7, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 7, 2016
  3. itst0ny Win User
    I want to keep Steam installed on my PC but want to hide it from the All Apps.

*Original Title: Hiding Apps

I want to keep Steam installed on my PC but want to hide it from the All Apps. Is there anyway I can do this?

itst0ny, Jun 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed...

As long as the account you have been given is an Admin account then you can safely delete her old account. It sounds as if you have already checked that you have access to all the programs you need so you will be OK.

If you need to check on how to delete her account use the following tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

BTW: Welcome to the TenForums *Smile

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    To : thecpchick,

This is an off-topic reply but I just want to share with you.
    I use an external media ( USB or hard drive ) to copy the exe files of all the 3rd party programs I have installed.
    In the event of a Clean Install or a new computer, I can plug in the external media, right click at the exe file and start installing.
    I don't have to google for the programs, then download, then install.
    When one has to install/reinstall a dozen or more programs, my method saves a lot of time.

davidhk, Jun 7, 2016
  6. Hi, @thecpchick:

At the risk of coming across as the skunk at the garden party or a member of the tinfoil-hat brigade, I'll offer this advice:

If you are "inheriting" a used computer, no matter how well you know the donor, the safest, "best practices" thing to do would be to wipe the drive, reinstall Windoze and start fresh.
    There's no way for you to know what lurks on this system (malware and other privacy vulnerabilities, corruption, software conflicts, etc.)

There are many fine tutorials and many fine expert forum members to assist you with that.
    IMHO it would be worth the extra time "up front" for peace of mind and down the road for security/stability.

Just my two cents and worth less,

MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 7, 2016
  7. The problem with that is our Internet connection is only DSL, and the Version 1511 update took 5+ hours alone! I DON'T want to go through that again, if I really don't have to.

If we move within the next 3-6 months and get a faster connection, I will take your advice quickly, but right now, it's just NOT doable. :-/

thecpchick, Jun 8, 2016
  8. Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed...

Hi:

It sounds as if the laptop was a Win10 upgrade, I guess. Well, I'm sure there's a way to get the Win10 ISO and to perform the clean reinstall without 5 hours of downloading (such as downloading the Win10 installer on another, faster network).
    But, if you're comfortable with things as they are, then that's fine with me.*Smile

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  9. Nope, Bought new with Windows 10 Home from Amazon, but it was manufactured before Version 1511 was released.

thecpchick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed...

1. Want to delete Admin account, but keep programs installed... - Similar Threads - delete Admin account

2. I want to delete an user account but keep the data in it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to delete an user account but keep the data in it.: I have 2 user accounts and for some reason I want to delete it but keep the data inside of it. I have not maintained the data, so I don't even know which file belongs to which user account. I don't even know how to back up those files so if you don't have any suggestions then...
  3. I want to delete an user account but keep the data in it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to delete an user account but keep the data in it.: I have 2 user accounts and for some reason I want to delete it but keep the data inside of it. I have not maintained the data, so I don't even know which file belongs to which user account. I don't even know how to back up those files so if you don't have any suggestions then...
  4. I want to delete an user account but keep the data in it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot delete admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete admin account: out of no where there is a secondary administrator account in my laptop i’m running windows 10 and it won’t show up to let me delete it from my main account that I have always used that is also an admin account. This new admin account doesn’t allow me to set a pin for it and...
  6. Deleted Admin account. Want to recover it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted Admin account. Want to recover it.: My first admin account after building my computer was a school account that was not a microsoft account or a local account. I used a PIN to unlock the computer. I decided to change the PC from using a school account to a local account. I then created a new local account and...
  7. I downloaded a program and it is the admin account and I want to move it to user account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I downloaded a program and it is the admin account and I want to move it to user account.: help please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-a-program-and-it-is-the-admin-account/e17d0a2f-bf90-44a2-b49a-170fba3aca28
  8. Deleting An Admin Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting An Admin Account: My 15 y/o son has somehow become the administrator account on my laptop. I already created a new account for me and set it to administrator. I am unable to delete his account as it is set to my login on the laptop. Help!...
  9. deleted my admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    deleted my admin account: I deleted my admin account trying to follow directions using the netplwiz command to eliminate the need to log in with a password. When I restarted my computer it now refuses my password though it still identifies the old profile with my full name. I am definitely typing my...
  10. I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account: I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this possible? the program is up and running now but runs in both accounts. I use my admin account to do banking only and the user...