Windows 10: Want to Give Laptop to Daughter

Discus and support Want to Give Laptop to Daughter in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a laptop that I want to give to my daughter. I figure the process should be easy enough. BUT: I don't want my account on the computer any... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ThomF, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ThomF Win User

Want to Give Laptop to Daughter

I have a laptop that I want to give to my daughter. I figure the process should be easy enough. BUT:

• I don't want my account on the computer any more, and
    • I'd like to make sure that she can use the copy of Microsoft Office installed on the PC.

Is this possible? I have added her Microsoft account to the laptop and established her as an administrator, but the MS Office programs don't show up when she is logged in.

Is there some way that I can grant her access to the Office program on the PC, and then delete my account from the PC?

I purchased an Office license for 3 computers, of which this is one of them. I'm afraid that if I de-install the program under my account, I won't be able to reinstall it under her account.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

ThomF, Mar 6, 2016

2. I want to give my fairly new laptop to my daughter for Christmas.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to create a new local account for your daughter if she don’t have an account yet. Then give the administrator privileges to the account.

Once you logged in with the daughter’s account, you can remove the older admin account (Yours) and use the new one as admin account.

Go through the below steps to create a new local account.

Method 1: Create a Local Account

Create a local account and try log in to your system.

Check if it allows you to log in.

If you are able to log in. I suggest you to make it as MS Account and see if the issue persists or not.

Refer the below article created by Andre Da Costa to know
    How to: create a Local Account in Windows 10.

Click on,
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-local-account-in-windows-10/95097c32-40c4-48c0-8f3b-3bcb67afaf7c

To remove Microsoft user account follow the steps below:

NOTE: It is always recommended you keep a backup of all your data and the go ahead with the process.

• Type User Accounts in the search bar and click Enter.

• Click on Manage another account.

• Click on the User account you wish to delete.

• Click on the Delete the account.

• In the prompt you can either click on keep files (which will keep a backup of all your files) or delete files (which will delete all the files associated with this account).

• Click on Delete Account.

• Close Control Panel.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 6, 2016
  3. I want to give my fairly new laptop to my daughter for Christmas.

How do I make her the administrator and remove myself?

TomRobertson2051L, Mar 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

RE : MS Office.

You will be ok. The moment you uninstall one of the 3 licenses, you gain back 1 free license which will be available for install.

I have a MS Office Home & Student 2007 with 3 licenses and there were many times ( at least 5 times ) I had to do a clean install of Windows. So, I would uninstall MS Office, did a clean install of Windows > reinstall MS Office. There never was a problem.

Logon to your account > uninstall MS Office.
    Logon to her account > install MS Office.

davidhk, Mar 6, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would also reinstall the OS. Then she is not being bothered by all that legacy stuff.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just go to the program files location for the office programs (while logged in to her account) and send shortcuts to the desktop for them. On the desktop you can rename them, then pin those to Start. Whole lot easier then re-installing what is already there.

Also, have you looked all the way down in the All Apps list under Microsoft for them?

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  7. ThomF Win User

ThomF, Mar 6, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

If you reinstall OS, you will need to reinstall MS Office.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Correct. Clean install wipes everything off that was previously there.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
  10. ThomF Win User
    OK - thanks all for advice. I did a clean install and was able to load MS Office 10 using my product ID codes. Worked out well, although much more complicated than when I last gifted her an old laptop. Life was easier back then. I just needed to get my files off of it, get her ID on it, and pass it along...

ThomF, Mar 7, 2016
  11. My 2 cents: I recommend that instead of allowing her administrator privileges, you just add her as normal account. She will be less able to "press the wrong button" and make any OS repairs easier for you (you seem to be the likely sys admin). Also, have you ever thought of using the cloud for your files? A good way to always have them at hand and avoid any catastrophes.

Mayagrafix, Mar 7, 2016
  12. ThomF Win User
    re: Administrative Privileges: I'm gifting my daughter my old laptop and, frankly, don't want to have to bother with it in the future. She is an adult, married with kids (who will likely screw it up over time). I want her to be responsible for it and only respond to any periodic crisis. But, hopefully she and my son-in-law can handle things from here.

re: Cloud Storage: I back up my desktop weekly to an independent hard drive, and maintain very little data on my travel laptop. I've been reluctant to use the cloud for anything other than my business activities - I'm frankly not confident that personal and financial data would be fully secure. And, I don't perceive the need to access my personal files when I'm traveling - nor the necessity to sync to the cloud every time I turn it on. I may rethink this over time - perhaps I'm just 'old school.'

ThomF, Mar 7, 2016
  13. Want to Give Laptop to Daughter

It's SOP to grant users standard privileges (even if they are the only user account) to minimize any accidents. You yourself Madam, should be operating under a plain User Account without admin privileges for the same reason. That's how the big boys do it.

As for storing files on the cloud, regardless of your good backup habits, just think: eliminate the need for a travel laptop by using the guest PC at your hotel or replacing it with a tablet.

Mayagrafix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to Give Laptop to Daughter - Similar Threads - Laptop Daughter

2. My daughter's profile has been accidentally removed from her Lenovo laptop Windows 10 with...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My daughter's profile has been accidentally removed from her Lenovo laptop Windows 10 with...: Although her microsoft account is still being recognised we cannot any longer have a separate profile on the laptop there used to be mine and her's child. We have tried removing and adding with no luck. It says her account is pending.Anyone have any ideas?...
  3. My daughter's profile has been accidentally removed from her Lenovo laptop Windows 10 with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My daughter's profile has been accidentally removed from her Lenovo laptop Windows 10 with...: Although her microsoft account is still being recognised we cannot any longer have a separate profile on the laptop there used to be mine and her's child. We have tried removing and adding with no luck. It says her account is pending.Anyone have any ideas?...
  4. My daughter's profile has been accidentally removed from her Lenovo laptop Windows 10 with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked...: How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked herself out. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-my-laptop-i-purchased-a-new-laptop/ceec1e58-1529-4de9-8d1c-69473bfa04f2
  6. How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked...

How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked...: How to unlock my laptop. I purchased a new laptop for my daughter and she has locked herself out. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-my-laptop-i-purchased-a-new-laptop/ceec1e58-1529-4de9-8d1c-69473bfa04f2
  7. My daughter laptop mouse isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My daughter laptop mouse isn't working: My daughter laptop mouse isn't working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-daughter-laptop-mouse-isnt-working/242b16c0-9161-4475-8ccb-1a75621e6cea
  8. My daughter laptop mouse isn't working

My daughter laptop mouse isn't working: My daughter laptop mouse isn't working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-daughter-laptop-mouse-isnt-working/242b16c0-9161-4475-8ccb-1a75621e6cea
  9. My daughter's laptop has stopped recognising her PIN.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My daughter's laptop has stopped recognising her PIN.: My daughter's laptop stopped recognising her PIN. She used her laptop in one lesson, closed the laptop and went to lunch. When she tried to use her pin for the next lesson it said "this sign-in option is disabled because of failed sign-in attempts or repeated shutdowns. Use a...
  10. My daughter's laptop has stopped recognising her PIN.

My daughter's laptop has stopped recognising her PIN.: My daughter's laptop stopped recognising her PIN. She used her laptop in one lesson, closed the laptop and went to lunch. When she tried to use her pin for the next lesson it said "this sign-in option is disabled because of failed sign-in attempts or repeated shutdowns. Use a...