Windows 10: want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of 10?

Discus and support want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of win 10? 30712 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by twojo6, Nov 19, 2015.

1. twojo6 Win User

want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of 10?

want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of win 10?

:)

twojo6, Nov 19, 2015

2. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Nov 19, 2015
  3. How to Completely Uninstall Windows 10 Home 64 Bit?

I currently just installed a clean Windows 10 Home 64 Bit in another partition (this means that I have Windows 7 in one partition and Windows 10 in another partition and starts up the computer in dual boot). Now I want to uninstall Windows 10 but don't
    know how to do it. Keep in mind that this is a clean install of windows 10 this means that I did not upgraded windows 7/8/8.1 to windows 10 but installed it using the flash drive in an empty partition.

KhizirFarrukh, Nov 19, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

boot from the windows 10 setup media
    when you get to the partitions screen
    delete every partition
    allow windows 10 to install to the unallocated disk space

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    One additional step - after you boot from the Windows 10 setup media and click on Install Now, the next option you want is for Custom Install. Then you will get the list of disk/partitions and delete all the partitions on the first hard drive (if you have more than one).

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2015
  6. twojo6 Win User
    thanks for the road map, but am locked outta the car.
    I can't get it to boot from the usb!
    any ideas, and tia

twojo6, Nov 20, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2015
  8. twojo6 Win User

none of those 6 options worked for my machine.
    I need this done asap and it's a shame that when I call MS win 10 support they want $100 to fix my "free" upgrade.
    totally frustrated...

twojo6, Nov 20, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's not Microsoft's fault that you can't get your computer to boot from USB. That's a function of bios. The only thing Microsoft did to interfere with that was using fast startup. Turning off fast startup in Windows 10 removes that interference.

When the first computer manufacturer logo appears when you turn the computer on - or you start to see the posting info if there is no logo - there is usually that you will press, hold down, or repeatedly press that will get you either into bios setup or a boot device selection menu. It is usually ESC, INS, DEL, or one of the function keys.

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2015
  10. twojo6 Win User
    thinking of reformatting my drive with win 10 on it, then in win 7 upgrade to win 10, then do a clean install of win 10.
    will this work?

twojo6, Nov 20, 2015
  11. CmmTch Win User
    Go to this link Legacy Product Support call them and ask which key to press to get to a selective boot screen. You could try pressing F12 during boot, you need to try a couple more things unless you want to format, reinstall, then upgrade to 10. If you'd rather do that then go ahead, but you've been given directions on how to boot from USB and then how to do what your want to do.

Brink tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

CmmTch, Nov 21, 2015
  12. davidhk Win User
    twojo6,
    I am not saying I have the best way to do what you are asking.
    I am just sharing what I did with you.................

I had a similar situation. I had Win 8.1 Pro dual booting with Win 10 Insider Preview.
    I decided to just run the Insider Preview, without Win 8.1
    So, I logged on to my Win 8.1 > went to diskmgmt.msc > "remove" Insider Preview volume > "extend" the unallocated volume back to Win 8.1 partition.
    Then I set my boot order ( F12 in my laptop) to CD/DVD > inserted my Preview bootable DVD which I had created earlier > Reboot > did a Clean Install.

davidhk, Nov 21, 2015
  13. twojo6 Win User

Did what I said and the win 10 upgrade worked, only issue is the sound does not work.
    Went back to ZT Systems support and they said they do not support upgrades and to contact the motherboard mfgr.
    On MSI site for H55m-E55(MS-7636) motherboard, which showed driver only up to win 7.
    Am I at a dead end for upgrading to win 10?
    and do I need to revert back to win 7, and forget about win 10?

twojo6, Nov 22, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just install the driver for Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  15. twojo6 Win User
    went back to MSI and they said to "Windows 10 isn't officially supported on this board. Your best bet is to try a driver straight from Realtek."
    So then went to Realtek and downloaded and installed their win 10 driver, and it worked.
    shouldn't it be simpler than this?

twojo6, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of 10? - Similar Threads - dual boot partition

2. dual boot one broken but only one partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot one broken but only one partition: 2015 i bought a laptop with win8 on it. when it was time, i updated to winX. Now at startup, i get to choose dual boot. i never gave it much thought tbo. then my harddrive died 2020 and i gave it to a shop to fix it useless idiot, i had to get the filehistory/image back on...
  3. dual boot one broken but only one partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot one broken but only one partition: 2015 i bought a laptop with win8 on it. when it was time, i updated to winX. Now at startup, i get to choose dual boot. i never gave it much thought tbo. then my harddrive died 2020 and i gave it to a shop to fix it useless idiot, i had to get the filehistory/image back on...
  4. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  5. Install dual-boot 10 over 7

Install dual-boot 10 over 7: I created a separate partition, wanting to install a clean, dual-bootable Windows 10 on it, keeping the existing version of Windows 7. However, the installer went ahead and replaced Windows 7, and since there were some problems with sound in 10, I decided to revert back to 7,...
  6. Running Win10 want to install 7 on seperate partition for Dual boot

Running Win10 want to install 7 on seperate partition for Dual boot: Bought a new computer with windows 10 installed, but my work from home job requires windows 7. I don't want to get rid of windows 10, as I will need it for other things, so I'm trying to install windows 7 onto a separate partition so that I can dual boot between the two. I...
  7. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot: OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I... Clean install Windows 7 (with Original 7 key) and clean install Windows 10 (should automatically activate) to have a dual boot? Or is Microsoft...
  8. Dual Boot win7/10 questions...with clean install

Dual Boot win7/10 questions...with clean install: Hello, I recently upgraded my one laptop to windows 10 and thought I was doing a clean install but did not and wound up doing a restore that deleted everything. I downloaded windows 10 via the media creation tool in hopes of doing a clean install to my other laptop. I have...
  9. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.: Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key... 1. Created a 200GB partition for 10. 2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version). 3. Installed 10 into said 200GB...
  10. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10: Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad I...