Windows 10: Want to know whether or not to use the Generic Product Key

Discus and support Want to know whether or not to use the Generic Product Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded 2 computers with Win 7 Pro to win 10 pro using the "Update this computer" option on the media creator. It was after the launch, so I got the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by troillus, Aug 7, 2015.

1. troillus Win User

Want to know whether or not to use the Generic Product Key

I upgraded 2 computers with Win 7 Pro to win 10 pro using the "Update this computer" option on the media creator. It was after the launch, so I got the "final" build (xx240). They installed and activated perfectly. I then used the media creator to make Installation DVD's. That went well also. Then, on each machine I used the "produkey" software to discover the product key of each installation...they both had the same product key. I did a little research and discovered this is a generic product key.

My question is: If I need to reinstall or repair my Windows 10, can I could I, should I use the generic Product key to install, or should I take the "skip" option (if available). Some people have said that if I do a reinstall on the same machine, the use of a product key is not required.

TW

:)

troillus, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Jajal Win User

Want to know whether I have OEM version or Retail version

When I received the Laptop, Windows 7 was installed in it. But here, in general, when someone buys a windows version, vendor installs it before handing over it to the customer.

It would be really nice, if you can provide me some method to find out product key of my Windows pro.

Or I can provide Product ID of Windows 10, You should be able to find Product ID of Windows 7 from it. There must be some linkage between them. Please verify my Windows version based on that.

Jajal, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Jajal Win User
    Want to know whether I have OEM version or Retail version

I was using Windows 7 Pro in my laptop for some years. Then I upgraded it to Windows 10 pro last year.

I do not know whether the Win7 pro version was OEM or Retail. I want to know the same. I do not have any product key with me. I have product ID shown in my laptop right now.

I contacted customer care multiple times. Only reply I got: They need Product ID of Windows 7 version or Product Key. I do not have both right now!

I tried to retrieve Product Key by running a random software I found online. The Customer care representative said, it is not valid.

The original problem is, my laptop hardware is not working fine and I want to change it. But I want to transfer my Licence for Windows Pro to new one.

Please provide me solution. I do not want to spend again for the Windows Pro licence which I already have.

Please help!!

Jajal, Aug 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Skip the product key. My clean install from a DVD after an upgrade from Windows 7 asked me for the product key three times. Skipped it each time. The clean install is permanently activated according to slmgr /xpr.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  5. LittleJay Win User
    I also skipped entering any product key during a clean install and W10 activated right away.

LittleJay, Aug 7, 2015
  6. hawkman Win User
    You will need to use the code on the sticker on the bottom of your lappy,
    >>>> IF <<<< you have a problem with activation.

Thats the unique one....

Roy

hawkman, Aug 7, 2015
  7. tamo Win User
    No product keys are needed for windows 10 . once you update an activated windows 7,8,8.1 a hardware hash is generated on Microsoft servers for that machine then you can go ahead and clean install win 10 on that machine skipping all prompts for a key . search this forum and you will find plenty information on this .

What will happen with a retail copy I don't know but for the free upgrade please ensure you install it on an activated machine and ensure you match the windows version ( home /pro ) as above .

tamo, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

NO. The generic key is useless. It can't be used for anything, forget it even exists. This is why Microsoft does not give you a key, because there is no point.

Mystere, Aug 7, 2015
  9. tamo Win User
    your incorrect hawkman , I thought the same but was also wrong *Wink

tamo, Aug 7, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Only if you are installing the original OS the sticker was meant for. It won't work to install (or upgrade) Windows 10 with.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  11. tamo Win User
    There a so many people being caught out with this activation issue . Even when I called MS for the 3rd time they were not sure how to do it until it was escalated to more senior technicians .

12. hawkman Win User
    Thats why i said IF
    I know W10 doesnt have a unique identifier code, They(MS) issue an internal MS code on ITS server to identify YOUR computer and its hardware, hence the EULA terms valid for the life of the product.
    Your original W7 key will be for the short term problems as this can be validated by thier helpdesks.
    Roy

hawkman, Aug 7, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Not for Windows 10 it won't. Or at least Microsoft has told people they won't. Microsoft has told people to re-install the previous OS and upgrade again.

But, if that is what people want to keep trying, all they are going to lose is time and gain frustration.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to know whether or not to use the Generic Product Key - Similar Threads - whether Generic Product

2. want to know Windows 10 product key and license key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    want to know Windows 10 product key and license key: I took my PC from a local retailer, and he installed a windows 10 version in it. But as it was not genuine so I took a license from Microsoft using remote support. I paid INR 10000 for that. Now I want to know my License key and product key. how do I get that? How do I...
  3. I want to know my product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to know my product key: I want to know my product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-know-my-product-key/3b8bf252-981f-4ffd-8168-ec93af3fcc93
  4. I want to know my product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to know my product key: I want to know my product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-know-my-product-key/3b8bf252-981f-4ffd-8168-ec93af3fcc93
  5. Generic product key?

Generic product key?: I am installing an SSD for a friend on a working PC with an old patter drive that is super slow. I used a product key finder and got VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM- 9MPGT-3V66T product key finder says this is OEM and I need a digital license for activation. This PC is licensed already....
  6. generic product key

generic product key: anyone have generic product key for windows 10 home single language version 2004? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-product-key/43a2179d-fa3b-4314-b60c-34057fefb104
  7. How to know whether my windows product key is used by other PCs or not?

How to know whether my windows product key is used by other PCs or not?: I had saved my product key in a text file and uploaded in my google drivefor backup. And also I have gave permission to my friend to download certain stuffs from my google drive. Now I am having a fear that he is using my product key. So how to check whether or not my friend...
  8. I wanted to know whether my product key is genuine or not?

I wanted to know whether my product key is genuine or not?: This is the screenshot:[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-wanted-to-know-whether-my-product-key-is-genuine/5ef81c7a-005b-4401-9e44-4da50c8f14e8"
  9. i want to know my product key

i want to know my product key: i have recently installed ms offic2 2007 where it is asking me for product key,i jus wanted to know my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-know-my-product-key/02127498-446e-44c6-a0cd-ae7a819df647"
  10. Check Whether The Product Key Is Original Or Not.

Check Whether The Product Key Is Original Or Not.: [ATTACH]kindly tell me if my license is original or not. * Moved from Community Participation Center ***Changed Original Title From: product key***...