Windows 10: Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10

Discus and support Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hate to come here and ask this. Purpose of this thread is not to trash W10. I'd like to format and install another OS on my desktop's HDD. What is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 10userNYC, May 6, 2016.

1. 10userNYC Win User

Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10

Hate to come here and ask this. Purpose of this thread is not to trash W10.

I'd like to format and install another OS on my desktop's HDD. What is the best way to keep my activated 8.1x64 Pro COA with free 10 upgrade?

Can I shrink my partition way down and just do a dd copy to another drive? W10 is on a pretty nice 480gb ssd right now so I don't really want to just put that on the shelf and let it collect dust. Is there a way to maintain the keys so I can just do a fresh install and reactivate?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have a fully validated "Retail" 8.1 Pro x64 upgraded to 10.

I moved a similar OS (also full activated Retail 8.1 x64 Pro upgraded to 10) between two identical machines (both were Dell T7500 workstations) and it tripped the activation thing and now even when I put the HDD back in the old machine it still needs activation. I want out of MSFT & W10 right now but I don't want to burn the licenses...

:)

10userNYC, May 6, 2016

2. Transfer an upgraded retail copy of Windows 7 to a new PC Build?

If you format and leave that PC that you did all that on (the motherboard) with NO Windows OS at all and transfer the Windows 7 license to the new computer and then upgrade directly to Windows 10 (if that is your end-desire) - you will have a new license
    for Windows 10 tied to that RETAIL license of Windows 7 based off the hardware in that new machine (and that Windows 10 license cannot move if it is the FREE upgrade.)

This does not FREE up the Windows 7 license. As long as Windows 10 (free upgrade) is running on that machine that you upgraded (even eventually) from that Windows 7 retail license - that Windows 7 retail license is tied up. If you build another machine
    before July 29, 2016 and want to do it again - you'd remove the Windows OS from the current machine and install it on the new one and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free there and you'd have another license specific to that hardware.

However, the free Windows 10 license tied to the HARDWARE and the original FULL license you had. (The Windows 8/8.1 license is tied to the Windows 7 license alone. You could move it in a similar fashion (with the Windows 7 license),
    and it is not 'tied' to the hardware much like the Windows 7 retail license is not.)

So - you would really be transferring the Windows 7 license and getting the free upgrade to Windows 10 - leaving the original system with NO Windows OS at all. You can easily skip the Windows 8/8.1 path to get to Windows 10. You WILL have to perform the
    UPGRADE installation however, to make it work.

Shenan Stanley, May 6, 2016
  3. I cannot move my windows license to another PC?

I read something quite disturbing.

" However, that free Windows 10 license you get as part of the upgrade process is tied to an individual PC. Even if you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you won’t be given a retail copy of Windows 10. You just can’t move
    that free Windows 10 license to another PC. After the first year is up and the free Windows 10 upgrade offer is over, you’ll have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 if you want to move it to an entirely different PC."

I hope this is not true, because I asked about the license state after an upgrade, prior to upgrading. This was the deciding factor, because I bought a retail key of Windows 7 so I can use it if I buy a new PC. And I was told by someone from Microsoft(I
    can check the thread which one exactly), that after upgrading my windows will retain its retail status.

It will be nice if someone sheds some light on the matter.

Georgi_Balev, May 6, 2016
  4. Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10

Once you do the upgrade and activate, a digital entitlement to Windows 10, for that PC is stored on the Microsoft activation server. You can completely wipe the hard drive and it will not be lost. You can clean install that same version of Windows 10 on that same hardware, and just click skip when asked for a key. It will activate with the digital entitlement.

alphanumeric, May 6, 2016
  5. 10userNYC Win User
    Wow that's cool (and a bit scary)... So I can nuke the HDD and I don't even need to make a backup copy? It'll just auto re-authenticate and be good to go? Thanks!

10userNYC, May 6, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Alpha is correct. Once installed and activated on a system, W10 can be clean installed as many times as you need/want.

With regards your Dell T7500s: When moving a retail key, it's best to unregister it first, and then register with the new system.
    At an Administrative Command Prompt:
    Code: slmgr /upk[/quote] To register, type
    Code: slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx[/quote] That could be your problem, if it is indeed a retail key.

simrick, May 6, 2016
  7. 10userNYC Win User
    Thank you! Tried it. It works... Next reply will be from a Linux OS... :-/

10userNYC, May 6, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

That's great! But, which system are you referring to? *Confused

simrick, May 6, 2016
  9. 10userNYC Win User
    Sorry, Have not tried it with the T7500 machine. I have ESXi running on the first one right now so I can't take it offline and swap the HDD's back to see if it'll register/unregister properly. I have another two 7500's an a couple R710's on their way to me now so when they get here and I get everything up and running I'll let you know.

I was talking about formatting W10 from my desktop's HDD and installing Linux --and then going back to W10 and it worked fine (registered/activated fine). Thanks.

10userNYC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10 - Similar Threads - move another retain

2. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  3. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  4. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.: I bought a new Zephyrus Duo 16. The Windows installed is Windows 11 Home. I also have Zephyrus Duo 15SE had been upgraded to Windows 11 Home and finally Windows 11 Pro. I purchase upgrading license by using my Microsoft account. Now, I am going to restore my Zephyrus 15SE to...
  6. Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.: I bought a new Zephyrus Duo 16. The Windows installed is Windows 11 Home. I also have Zephyrus Duo 15SE had been upgraded to Windows 11 Home and finally Windows 11 Pro. I purchase upgrading license by using my Microsoft account. Now, I am going to restore my Zephyrus 15SE to...
  7. Is it legal to move this license to another computer?

Is it legal to move this license to another computer?: I bought a laptop a few years ago, it had windows 8 or 8.1 in it and it was licensed, I upgraded to version 10 for free. When I run the slmgr -dli command, it says it's a retail version. Is it legal to move this license to another computer?...
  8. Moving Digital License to Another Device

Moving Digital License to Another Device: so currently i'm in the process of trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro on my new PC. I have an activated Windows 10 on my laptop and I want to move it to my PC windows is retail, obtained from my uni, but when I input the product key from laptop into PC, it gave error...
  9. Moving Windows 10 free upgrade

Moving Windows 10 free upgrade: I have a an original windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 Pro with MS free program. I want to migrate to a new build and install. How do I find my license key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-windows-10-free-upgrade/1533b79f-e701-4ff4-9281-c4d26310ab3f
  10. W 10 free up grade during 2016 free upgrade

W 10 free up grade during 2016 free upgrade: i had upgraded my Lenovo U310 idea pad to W 10 during 2016 free upgrade, being slow I had switched back to W7, I intend to install SSD on my lappy can I switch back to W 10 and how...