Windows 10: Want to password and encrypt contents in folder - can that be done?

Discus and support Want to password and encrypt contents in folder - can that be done? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have about 600-900 photos, 60 documents and other business records. I've used PGP in the past though that seems like a lot of trouble for so many... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tonys317, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Tonys317 Win User

Want to password and encrypt contents in folder - can that be done?

I have about 600-900 photos, 60 documents and other business records. I've used PGP in the past though that seems like a lot of trouble for so many documents. I remember hearing about total encryption for the hard drive - some 3rd party programs and others. Is that what bitlocker is?

I do not mind encrypting the entire hard drive (it is a 2tb and is 3 days old, I just bought it). Right now I just use a passcode to log in. Essentially I just want to secure specific documents. I am "average tech savvy". So, I am not looking to over complicate this. While it is nothing over the top some of the information is customer geographic data, securing that is more important to me than my own.

Any suggestions which posts to read? Can I just get a program or app? Thank you! Want to password and encrypt contents in folder - can that be done? :)

:)

Tonys317, Aug 4, 2018

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Aug 4, 2018
  3. Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Aug 4, 2018
  4. twilyth Win User

Private folders encrypted and password protected folders

How good is the encryption?

I use the encrypted file approach and mount it to a drive letter. I like having all those files in the same place and I can copy it to any other computer or backup it up to ftp, server or whatever. All I need is to have a copy of TC installed at the new location. I'm guessing the priv folders feature is like NTFS file security except, would you be able to take ownership on the new machine?

IDK.

If you need solid and/or multi-layer encryption, you have to at least look at TC.

twilyth, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to password and encrypt contents in folder - can that be done? - Similar Threads - password encrypt contents

2. Password protect a folder and the contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password protect a folder and the contents: I want to define a password for a folder and the files it contains. The files contain sensitive data. I want the files to be inaccessible without knowing the password. Thanks for your help.SweetTasha...
  3. Password protect a folder and the contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password protect a folder and the contents: I want to define a password for a folder and the files it contains. The files contain sensitive data. I want the files to be inaccessible without knowing the password. Thanks for your help.SweetTasha...
  4. Password protect a folder and the contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  6. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  7. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Encrypt Contents Disabled

Encrypt Contents Disabled: Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎04-‎2021 OS build 19043.1083 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Hi,I'm using above mentioned windows but the Encrypt Contents Option is "GREYED OUT"...
  9. how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?

how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?: i want to encrypt/ password protect a folder, but when i try to turn on encryption for the folder the area is greyed out, i downloaded winrar and 7zip but when i try to password protect or encrypt the folder it says folder not found, i edited the registry, i used encryption0...
  10. CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER: I AM BUYING A HP LAPTOP WITH WINDOW 10 BUT I CAN'T ON/OPEN ENCRYPTION BUTTON FOR ANY FOLDER. I THINK ,I DON'T HAVE BITLOCKER INSTALLED. ABOUT SYSTEM: EDITION : WINDOW 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE. VERSION : 1903 RAM : 4 GB 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. NEED HELP...…. ....