Windows 10: Want to Upgrade a Pentium D 920 (Presler) to a Core Duo 2 Quad ?

Discus and support Want to Upgrade a Pentium D 920 (Presler) to a Core Duo 2 Quad ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; You can see the specs under my avatar, but I have been checking around on websites and find confusing info. Some say yes, you can upgrade, others say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaxxxx, Jul 9, 2016.

1. jaxxxx Win User

Want to Upgrade a Pentium D 920 (Presler) to a Core Duo 2 Quad ?

You can see the specs under my avatar, but I have been checking around on websites and find confusing info. Some say yes, you can upgrade, others say the BIOS will not support it. I am using Windows 10 Forum because I have (Obviously) updated this PC from a Windows XP Pro Machine on a Pentium D 920, to a Windows 7, then to a dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows 10 Pro. It runs rather well, hard to believe but the newer GPU I installed has helped with the display, videos, and graphic rendering overall.

I have upgraded 3 times, the GPU, and current have a cheaper priced very good fit for this PC, an MSI made Geforce 730 GT with GDDR5 (Works like a charm for $20 USD). I originally had a GT 9400 which was okay, but gave me a lot of problems when I finally was able to do the second major update to Windows 10 Pro, the 1511 version, build 10586.420. The first and original video card when I purchased this back in 2006, was an nForce 500 series. Wow, talk about old times! However, doing the recent graphics upgrades, I am amazed at the speed for web browsing, videos, and photo editing. I use this PC mainly for ESRI's ArcMap 10.3, which is a resource hog. When I put the newer GPU in, I noticed quite a better overall performance - on the graphics side, but of course that doesn't affect the CPU. I can get away with what I have, it really isn't bad at all, but if I could speed up opening programs, multitasking better, and overall performance not just in graphics, I would be willing to take the chance.

Believe it or not, the Core Duo 2 Quad, that as a brand new processor is a HOT item, being a lot of DELL OptiPlex 750s (which are a lot of them out there throughout the world) have the ability to upgrade from a D to a Core Duo 2 quad. Having said that, I have seen brand new in box selling at over 1,000 USD. Most are going for near or at $400 USD. You can buy a used one on eBay, take a chance, and get one for $60-80 USD

Okay, with that out of the way, can anyone guide me to a better source which will let me know if this Mobo can hold from a Pentium D 920 on Socket 775 LGA Motherboard, Intel - D975WT2G1, chipset i975x, core voltage at 1.29 65 nm, Instructions MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 EM64T VT-x, FSB @ 800 MHz, PCI Express x 16 (One), 3 other PCI slots. I can give you the CPU-Z screen shots if that is better...

Want to Upgrade a Pentium D 920 (Presler) to a Core Duo 2 Quad ? [​IMG]

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. As far as I could see as a definite, I can upgrade to a higher Pentium D, or the Pentium Extreme Edition, just before they released the Core Duo. However, I have seen others who did the upgrade from a Pentium D to a Core Dou 2 Quad, Especially this one, which is VERY HIGH Priced New:
    Intel® Core2 Quad Processor Q9450

:)

jaxxxx, Jul 9, 2016

2. Would upgrading my processor and ram void my windows 10 activation from the free upgrade offer?

I'm wanting to upgrade my ram from 4 GB to 8 GB and my processor from a core 2 duo to a core 2 quad. I have Windows 10 because I used the free upgrade offer but I was told if I make significant hardware changes that I won't be activated anymore and I'll
    have to call Microsoft to reactivate it but I don't know if upgrading the processor and the ram counts as significant hardware changes. Does it?

closingeclipse, Jul 9, 2016
  3. DanielF96 Win User
    Windows 10 and Intel Pentium 4 550 @ 3.40 GHz?

the restriction was also in windows 8. if it is a 775 board then you could possibly put in a core 2 duo/quad(very cheap these days), they all support PAE, NX and SSE2, however your motherboard would also need to support it. Im using a Core 2 quad Q6600
    and it runs great!

DanielF96, Jul 9, 2016
  4. jaxxxx Win User

By the way, if yu ever get to look at the "Reviews" for this Intel Based CPU, you will be amazed at the almost 100% fantastic reviews, ones from who had them originally from a PC like mine bought a year or so afterwards, say 2008, and still running after 3-4 GPU updates, RAM and other small priced updates, where they still can use this CPU on the mobo it was slotted in since 2007-2008... Amazing, never have I seen such overall reviews so positive, some go as far to say they do not build CPUs anymore like these to last as this one. I am also correcting my Title, the CPU should be called the Core 2 Quad.

This is just a sample of an overall mirror to about 99.99% reviews regarding the Core 2 Quad:

This review is from: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield Quad-Core 2.4 GHz LGA 775 BX80562Q6600 Processor
    Pros: Having purchased this processor for a custom build in 2007, I am still amazed at what it can handle in 2014. If you're trying to build a PC on a budget and can get your hands on one of these it will be well worth the money.
    Cons: Motherboards which support this chip-set are becoming scarce and expensive

jaxxxx, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    you would need to know what bios version you are on (boot screen) and exactly what motherboard as Google cant find anything on the D975WT2G1 model no# you posted above , you'll need to did deeper , or see if you made a typo

Kbird, Jul 9, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Jul 9, 2016
  7. jaxxxx Win User
    Yes, you are correct, I did miss a number, the eBay URL is exactly what I have:

Gateway FX Desktop Motherboard FX510X LGA775 D975XWT2G1 (This number doesn't appear anywhere in the BIOS) >4006120R

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gateway-FX-De...-/280412341336

Going into BIOS:

Gateway
    Intel Corporation
    Version: 54.100001.131
    S/N 0036516566

Desktop Board Info:
    OEMD975XWT2G1
    Version: AAD3346-106
    S/N: BQW260600175

Chassis: Gateway
    Version: WTN01A01
    S/N 0036516566
    XT and VT Enabled

That is all I can find in the BIOS.

jaxxxx, Jul 9, 2016
  8. jaxxxx Win User

Going on the Gateway URL, the one that is pasted in the Forum you gave just takes me to the main website. I searched by serial number, nothing. I searched by Product number, and was able to see a list of downloads, the drop down list was either Vista 32 / 64, or XP 32 / 64

I would choose from Windows XP being that was on here originally, correct?
    There is a chipset update dated back in 2010, when this machine was built in 2006, so I am assuming, that is the latest chipset to download. I just don't want to mess with the BIOS Update though, I have heard of nightmares doing this when it wasn't needed.
    Any thoughts?

jaxxxx, Jul 9, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    No , the only thing that may help is a bios/firmware update , there is one newer than I see in CPUz pic above but the information in the Firmware package for your FX510 series MB ,no#

4006120R - Intel (Watsonville 2) 975X Motherboard

does not confirm C2D chip compatibility , it says it was to fix a S3 Resume issue but who knows if the CPU microcode was updated too?

the bios is here , you can download it , unzip it, and read the txt files with it , then decide if you want to flash or not ....

Updated: I guess they don't allow direct links? so............

http://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/cont...vers-downloads

Product List>Desktop>500 Series>510> Bios and Firmware Tab

corrected

Product List>Desktop>FX Series>FX510s> Bios and Firmware Tab

looks like your MB has Raid too , which may help with speed a bit in Raid 0 with two identical drives.

Kbird, Jul 9, 2016
  10. bobkn Win User
    Here's a CPU support list for an Asus 975X board:

P5W | Motherboards | ASUS Global

At a guess, the board you have should support the same ones, but you may need a BIOS update.

The link in post 7 goes 404.

bobkn, Jul 10, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    Thanks Bob , updated above , strange cos it worked yesterday when I tested it.

Kbird, Jul 10, 2016
  12. bobkn Win User
    I think that the correct system is an FX510 (not a 500 series 510) with a "Watsonville" motherboard. There's BIOS update for it, but no mention of what CPUs it supports. Here's a direct link:

http://global-download.gateway.com/G...TEWAY&SC=PA_6G

It's dated 29 July, 2010.

bobkn, Jul 11, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

You are right that's the link I had yesterday to the Watsonville

Kbird, Jul 11, 2016
  14. jaxxxx Win User
    Thanks to you both for the help. I'm a bit confused whether or not to download and do a BIOS Update or flash the Bios.
    Another obstacle I just thought about, gateway back then had a patent technology called BTX, where they enclose part of the tower inside, and create this wind tunnel effect, being the Pentium D's ran so hot. It works apparently, because the Processor is still in good working condition. But I'll have to undo all of that and that may be a difficult task, more than I am thinking.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the Gateway update page that is most recent updates, there is nothing beyond 2010.

I really wanted to get a refurbished CD2 Quad, they are such HOT items now, some can out perform an i3 or i5 given certain conditions. They last forever, and are probably Intel's best made and performing processors they made or will ever make, given that time period.

I could basically fry an egg under the current Pentium D 920.... But for 10 years, it is still performing! Okay, I got excited when I updated to the recent MSI made GeForce GT730 with GDDR5 in it, which really blew the graphics on that machine into today's level. So now that I am teased with that, if I can speed up with a better processor, wow, I'd be really happy for the next 2-3 years, if not more. Can you imagine getting 15 years out of a Gateway Desktop?

Another option, buy a cheap refurbished Dell Optiplex for under $100, and believe me, there are tons of them online off Bestbuy and eBay. And just stick that graphics card in the Otiplex. I don't think though any of the Dell's Otiplex Machines had as many expansion slots as I have on the old Gateway, and maybe not even a PCIex16

The link that was given was to a mobo upgrade, on the screen shot I have, I don't see that link?

I only see the chipset upgrade, not the WT975.... Where did you get that link?
    You posted it as a direct link to the download.

jaxxxx, Jul 11, 2016
  15. jaxxxx Win User
    Ah, I am so sorry!!!! I see where you got it! I'm working overnights plus a regular day job, a bit tired, I'm so sorry! I see it!

jaxxxx, Jul 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Want to Upgrade a Pentium D 920 (Presler) to a Core Duo 2 Quad ? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Pentium 920

2. Most Apps on Win 10 22H2 & Win 11 23H2 running CORE 2 Duos & Quads and earlier I Series...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most Apps on Win 10 22H2 & Win 11 23H2 running CORE 2 Duos & Quads and earlier I Series...: I could have posted this on DISSCUSSIONS alas at the moment everyone is reading & posting on ASK A QUESTION which is running rampant on this App Issues so there is more chance that it is read here.After 36 hours of fault finding and diagnosis on why the Windows 10 22H2 & 23H2...
  3. Most Apps on Win 10 22H2 & Win 11 23H2 running CORE 2 Duos & Quads and earlier I Series...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most Apps on Win 10 22H2 & Win 11 23H2 running CORE 2 Duos & Quads and earlier I Series...: I could have posted this on DISSCUSSIONS alas at the moment everyone is reading & posting on ASK A QUESTION which is running rampant on this App Issues so there is more chance that it is read here.After 36 hours of fault finding and diagnosis on why the Windows 10 22H2 & 23H2...
  4. Вапрос до intel core duo 2 e8400 - Question to intel core duo 2 e8400

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Вапрос до intel core duo 2 e8400 - Question to intel core duo 2 e8400: У мене в пк стоить E8400 смогу я установить Виндоус 10 64бит?- - - - Google translation Title: Question to intel core duo 2 e8400 Message: I have an E8400 in my PC, can I install Windows 10 64bit?* Moved from Windows Live Mail...
  5. Duel core celeron vs quad core pentium?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel core celeron vs quad core pentium?: So, after i fixed my moms pc, she said i might be able to have it, this pc has a pentium quadcore from 2015 or so, my current laptop has a intel celeron 1017u, i am wondering, though i think they have the same basic speed and ram, would the pentium perform better than celeron...
  6. Will my DG31PR motherboard and Core 2 Duo Processor be overworked with Win 10 upgrade?

Will my DG31PR motherboard and Core 2 Duo Processor be overworked with Win 10 upgrade?: I have a DG31PR with an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHz processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 710 2GB GPU and 4 GB RAM. My motherboard is not listed under Windows 10 compatible motherboards, but the compatibility checker says that it is compatible for an upgrade. My question is, if...
  7. GTX 960 and Intel Core 2 duo E8500

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GTX 960 and Intel Core 2 duo E8500: I was wondering if a Nvidia GTX 960, Intel core 2 duo E8500 and a 8gb ram will run games such as gta v?
  8. Quad Core Host -- should I assign 2 cores to a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Quad Core Host -- should I assign 2 cores to a VM: Hi there I can't quite work out whether I should assign 2 cores out of a 4 core processor (AMD OPTERON X3421 APU} to a VM running a fairly intensive DB system (MiniSAP or SAP ABAP 7.50 minisap) which has to run on a Linux machine - so I've got it on a Centos VM. This...
  9. Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T6670

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T6670: I am trying to Upgrade my Protege M750 with Intel® C™2 Duo processor T6670. The Upgrade starts but after while I got message Processor not supported. Any explanention why it is happened as even older processors are supported 45368
  10. ERROR: CompareExchange128, with core 2 duo e8600

ERROR: CompareExchange128, with core 2 duo e8600: My pc meets all the requirements needed to install win10 but i still get the compareexchange128 error, it has sse1-4.1, NX and XD, but still gives me the error. I have NX enabled in bios. I have searched many forums trying to find help but still no luck. I have tried to...