Windows 10: Wanting a second home network

Discus and support Wanting a second home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I am pretty new to networking yet extremely motivated in learning all I can (which isn't much so far....lol). I live in a large home that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ebmm, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ebmm Win User

Wanting a second home network

Hello all,
    I am pretty new to networking yet extremely motivated in learning all I can (which isn't much so far....lol). I live in a large home that's divided into separate living spaces, meaning a shared house. There is a router/WAP that we all share in the home. I, however, want my own network to support my 4 devices. I have access/permission to configure the house router (Belkin AC1750) any way I view fit. I presently use a CAT5e that runs into my living space (as well as the sharedwlan).

What I have in addition is a unmanaged switch w/ a uplink port, a hub w/ a uplink port (that I'm sure I won't need), and my own WAP. What I am unsure of are a few different concerns:

1) From the shared router, do I continue using the existing line and put my switch in after the router (in my space) or switch between modem and router which would require another switch in my living space.
    2) The shared router has a default IP of of 192.168.2.1 and a sub of 255.255.255.0. I am able to change only the first and third Octets of the IP. Am I to understand that the sub configured that way only allows for one network and if so do I need to change it and if so, to what? 255.255.0.0?
    3) How do I ensure that my network will be a totally separate entity? Do I need another machine as a server to accomplish that security?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thx in advance!!

:)

Ebmm, Dec 1, 2015
  2. brad_965 Win User

Create second home group on same network

I share a network with several others in the same building. I am unrelated to them, however, our internet is shared. I want to set up a homegroup in order to share files between my labtop and desktop, however, someone else has already set up a homegroup.
    Is there any way of setting up two homegroups on same network?

Thanks for the help. I have windows 10.

brad_965, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Create second home group on same network

Hi Brad,

To know if it's possible to set up two HomeGroups on the same network in Windows 10, we suggest that you post your concern here:
    TechNet forums.
    TechNet
    forums
    is a community that is mainly composed of IT Professionals who can cater to the complexity of your concern.

Regards.

Joshua Her1, Dec 1, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Just get a router that allows for VLAN's, Access Points like the Engenius ECB350 that allow for VLAN's and a Smart Switch. The A/P's allow you to use POE Injectors. Sometimes you can find a deal where Engenius is offering the POE Injector with the A/P.

bro67, Dec 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Wanting a second home network - Similar Threads - Wanting second home

2. Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home Network: I've set up six pcs in my home and set up for file sharing on each of them, two are Windows 8.1 and four are windows 10. I have done this many times and not had an issue however there seems to be an issue using Ethernet rather than Wi-FiOn file explorer menu to the left at...
  3. I want to setup a home network wired

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to setup a home network wired: I want to setup a home network wired with 2 windows 10 series 2019 . can you help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-setup-a-home-network-wired/f35f150c-c090-47de-a852-0a5cc6b3415f
  4. Home network

Home network: How do you set up a home network in the latest version of windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-network/3aafe857-37f8-425e-9c86-56e9b407416b
  5. Can't see second computer on my home network.

Can't see second computer on my home network.: When I try accessing my second computer on my network I get the error message "Windows cannot access \\second PC" You do not have permission etc. I can see my first computer from my second computer. Both are using Windows 10 ver 1803. The first computer accesses the network...
  6. home network

home network: How do I connect an additional computer to my existing home network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-network/434937af-b954-4b33-bfbb-4942ecceaec1
  7. Home network

Home network: Can any one tell me why I can no longer connect to my home network from my laptop as I did before ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-network/2148f51b-6f44-4ffd-9945-7546bbfcfa0c
  8. Home Network

Home Network: Hi, I know Windows have discontinued "Homegroup", but nothing I do seems to allow one folder be shared on one PC with another PC. Both PCs are connected to the router via ethernet cable. I have temp shutdown firewall, I have tried share with everyone giving read write...
  9. Home Networking

Home Networking: I have an older desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro. It is connected to the internet via DSL modem/router. This PC is ethernet wired RJ45 connected to the modem/router. I also have a wireless laptop running Windows XP. It uses a wireless connection to the same DSL...
  10. network home

network home: ok i have many devices hook in to my router from wifi to wire. im looking to make it run faster and better. i have tp-link ac2600 router. looking to do what is best for it. right now i have default setting but would like to get feed back on what to set it up as. from static...