Windows 10: Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Discus and support Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; NavyLCDR, No, I always select that option in explorer when that drive or any drive is attached so the fact that it did not show them when it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tzxlyd, Feb 27, 2016.

1. tzxlyd Win User

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

NavyLCDR,
    No, I always select that option in explorer when that drive or any drive is attached so the fact that it did not show them when it was attached never happened before now. In fact I just connected the Seagate drive to run the diskcheck and this time it showed the files so there is a problem somewhere as it did not do that on the previous 2 times I attached it to run the screen shots for the disk management.

It sounds from your previous response that if the folder does not show in the check disk that the information is lost -- is that correct? I do not understand how that can be correct because the Seagate drive is still saying I am using the missing 100GB of data that I was moving. If the drive is still allocating that storage space for that folder the folder must still be there although it is not showing up in the file explorer -- until that space is freed up the data must still be there. Even when an item is deleted the data in that storage address is still there until something else is stored in that address. The fact that space is still allocated as being in use indicates to me that the data is still there and I cannot overwrite it because the system is not providing access to that space.

That folder was still showing up in the folder history until the updates for windows were done so the Acer Laptop was still pointing to that folder until those updates were applied (it was saying it could not access the Seagate drive that it was saying was in location F although it is now saying it is location E). I wonder if a restore point was created or if an earlier restore will show that folder -- at a minimum there has to be software that allows recovery of folders especially if the space is still unavailable for other data to replace those 100GB. You may be correct but the drive itself has not allocated that space to be overwritten because that space is not available. I have not added or deleted anything to that Seagate drive since this problem. I think I remember this type of thing happening to other external drives where folders will disappear for a period of time and then reappear -- I am pretty certain I have seen that so I am not ready to throw in the towel.

I remember there were more than 300GB available the night before this problem occurred when I moved a few files from the WD Elements to the Seagate. I had already moved some additional files before this happened and now the Seagate is saying there are only about 198GB available -- so while I understand what you are saying there is no way the drive could be missing that much storage and the folder not be there. Like I said the night before I was moving the files with a Sony Laptop but when the problem happened I was using an Acer Laptop -- I suspect that the problem lies within the Windows 10 OS and its failure to correctly point to the drives from one Laptop to another.

However, if you are saying that you have no more options available for me then I thank you for your assistance and I will surf the web to find a solution. These files are very important to me as it relates to health treatment for a family member suffering from Alzheimer's so I have to find a way to retrieve it even if I have to try a Data Recovery Toolkit. Again, if you have no further suggestions I thank you for your assistance.

tzxlyd, Mar 9, 2016
  2. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

1. Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all - Similar Threads - Was moving files

2. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  3. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  4. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  5. Moving files from external drive to card files lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from external drive to card files lost: I was moving two folders from my external drive to a card for permanent storage. The first folder transferred properly; the second only shows one file out of 35 or 40 was successfully moved. The remainder have vanished; they are not on the card and the external drive isn't...
  6. External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  7. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...
  8. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  9. Move files to an external hard drive

Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  10. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....