Windows 10: Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 How to Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10

How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10

How to Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10

When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, the desktop background will not be dimmed by default.

This tutorial will show you how to adjust the ALT+TAB desktop background dimming percentage you want for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: ALT+TAB desktop background dimming percentage levels

Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MultitaskingView\AltTabViewHost

BackgroundDimmingLayer_percent DWORD

(delete) = Default (fully transparent)
    50 (decimal) = Semi dimming (semi transparent)
    100 (decimal) = Full dimming (full opaque)

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (semi dimming), or step 4 (full dimming) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Alt+Tab_desktop_background_dimming.reg

Download

3. To Use Fully Transparent ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Semi_transparent_Alt+Tab_desktop_background_dimming.reg

Download

4. To Use Semi Transparent ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming

Full_opaque_Alt+Tab_desktop_background_dimming.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

9. You may also wish to adjust the ALT+TAB grid background transparency.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MultitaskingView\AltTabViewHost

*note If you do not have a MultitaskingView key (not there by default), then right click on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type MultitaskingView, and press Enter.

If you do not have a AltTabViewHost key (not there by default), then right click on the MultitaskingView key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type AltTabViewHost, and press Enter.

4. In the right pane of the AltTabViewHost key, double click/tap on the BackgroundDimmingLayer_percent DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a BackgroundDimmingLayer_percent DWORD (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the AltTabViewHost key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type BackgroundDimmingLayer_percent, and press Enter.

To restore the default ALT+TAB desktop background dimming percentage level, you would just need to delete the BackgroundDimmingLayer_percent DWORD.

5. Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 to 100 for the dimming percentage level you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

0 = No dimming

100 = Full dimming

6. Press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to see how you like this percentage level, and adjust until you have the percentage you want.

7. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

8. You may also wish to adjust the ALT+TAB grid background transparency.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 23, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

Desperate. Disabled sensor monitoring and screen still dark

Hi, if you've upgraded to the current Creator's build, you will have a new feature for screen dimming at night.
    This may be a factor:
    Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

This might also be of interest:
    Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Also see e.g.:
    Updated to windows 10, screen now very dim and I can't adjust it - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. mrhuggles Win User
    alt + tab not working

i always just use the windows key to get back to the desktop [pops up the start dealy, doesn't need anything to alt+tab to]

mrhuggles, Oct 26, 2019
  4. cjb4 Win User

Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10

Am I missing something. In 10 Alt+Tab no longer switches between the desktop and open applications. You need to perform an extra step to get to the desktop

5. alt + tab not working

*Confused Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 :confused: I can alt tab back even if i don't have another program to switch too.

spearman914, Oct 26, 2019
  6. alt + tab not working

Alt+Tab only works if there is something in the background to switch to. If there is nothing to switch to (the game that has focus is the only thing running), the command isn't executed.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop Background Dimming Percent in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust ALT+TAB Desktop

2. Background Windows dimming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background Windows dimming: With a 2nd monitor hooked up and working with multiple windows browser windows, apps, or separate programs, whenever I click on one window, the other ones dim to the point I can barely see it. I need all of them to stay at the same brightness. It also does this with or...
  3. background windows dimmed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    background windows dimmed.: I have the same question as this but I do not use an HP computer mine is an Asus. "Ok so here's the thing, there is this windows 10 feature that allows you to "focus" on one window at a time, and dims the background windows. An example would be, I have 3 windows open and none...
  4. Background Windows Dim

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background Windows Dim: Hello all!Ok so here's the thing, there is this windows 10 feature that allows you to "focus" on one window at a time, and dims the background windows. An example would be, I have 3 windows open and none of them are full screen. I click on one window, and the rest of the...
  5. Alt Tab shows desktop background when tabbing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt Tab shows desktop background when tabbing: After the windows 10 update, whenever I alt tab is shows my desktop background instead of the focused app. Instead of it being like this: [IMG] I want it to be like this: [ATTACH] Anyone know how to change this?...
  6. alt tab into desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    alt tab into desktop?: How do i alt tab into desktop like in windows 7? I don't like w + d. 77463
  7. alt tab (windows 10) to the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    alt tab (windows 10) to the desktop: So, just upgraded to windows 10 two days ago. Hasn’t had much time to play around with it. I have searched about all I can and can’t find a direct answer just keep finding different way to do it (which i already know). Is there a option that i have enabled to make it that my...
  8. Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, any windows in the background of ALT+TAB will show by default....
  9. Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10: How to: Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 How to Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, the grid background will be about 85%...
  10. Alt-Tab To Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt-Tab To Desktop: Is it possible to add desktop back to the alt-tab menu? 52798