Windows 10: Watchdog - Event Id 142 and 13

Discus and support Watchdog - Event Id 142 and 13 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Need a little help ... System runs fine and I prefer not to ignore these 2 errors. However, I can't find what is causing event id 142 and 13 and I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eagle51, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Eagle51 Win User

Watchdog - Event Id 142 and 13

Need a little help ... System runs fine and I prefer not to ignore these 2 errors. However, I can't
    find what is causing event id 142 and 13 and I'm outta of ideas.

Event Id - 142(173) Kernal-Power (critical)
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused
    because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.

Event Id - 13(none) HAL (error)
    Watchdog event triggered

Windows 10 x64 Home Creator - Clean Install and Updated - 1703 (build 15063.13)
    HP DV6 - AMD A6-3400M with HD Graphics 6520G
    Temps - OK
    MemTest - OK
    HDD SMART - OK
    Drivers - Updated (IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers - Tried both AMD and Standard drivers)
    Adapter Power Management - Allow to turned off / on unchecked
    Chkdsk - OK
    SFC - OK
    Safe Mode - No change
    Clean Boot - No change
    Clean Shut Down - No change (even tried different shutdown commands as admin)
    Fast Startup - Off
    Hybernate - Off
    Sleep - Off
    Power Profile - Balanced and High Power no change
    Turn HDD Off - No

BSOD - No
    Dumps - None
    Wer - None

:)

Eagle51, Apr 7, 2017
  2. #1Pupper Win User

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Exactly one week ago, my laptop froze hard. Everything on it stopped responding and I had to restart it.

Now, it did not freeze, but shut itself down as if it had suddenly run out of power (it had not and was still plugged in).

Both times, checking the event viewer revealed these messages:

Event ID: 13

Source: HAL

Task Category: None

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Quickly followed by:

Event ID: 41

Source: Kernel-Power

Task Category: (63)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

And:

Event ID: 142

Source: Kernel-Power

Task Category: (173)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset."

Based on what I read already, the watchdog timer is supposed to turn the computer off if it fails to respond for long enough (such as by getting stuck in an infinite loop). I want to know why it's doing this, though...

I'm kind of hoping that it's just some sort of heating issue that will go away if I clean it, but the temperature monitors are saying the temperature is fine. It also doesn't seem to have any malware that I know of. I also checked the RAM and the hard drive
    and those were fine too.

I'm feeling like it might be a hardware issue, but how can I diagnose that?

Edited to add: Just to be clear, there was no blue screen or error message either time. The first time it just froze completely and the second it shut itself down out of the blue while I was using the internet.

#1Pupper, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Kernel Power Event ID 42 & 142

For about a week ago I opened up my laptop (I got him already over a year ago and no one ever cleaned up since i bought it).

I disassembled it and cleaned the processor fan without restock it with thermal compound and put everything back to its place. Three or four days everything fine, then i got a sudden shutdown which left me worried.

I thought it was overheating, bought a thermal compound put it on and closed it up again.

It kept shuting down and left me without ideas. I checked event viewer and it gave me 2 critical errors when it goes down. Started looking form some help on forums but nothing helped me through. Downloaded HWmonitor to check processors
    temperature and normal its always between 50 and 60 celcius degrees, but when it comes to gaming it goes up to max 73 that i can remember. Changed my power plan, didnt worked and tomorrow i´ll use a friends ram to check if its ram fault. Also today i put my
    laptopt as factory new so it´s not a software fail,

So here i´m making my own question so someone can analyze my prob.

toshiba satellite c850d-19d

Intel core i5-3230M

4 Gb RAM

amd radeon hd 7500/7600 series

ERRORS

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 18-Aug-16 11:31:25 PM

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-0PV92GQ

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>4</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-18T22:31:25.766356400Z" />

<EventRecordID>813</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-0PV92GQ</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 18-Aug-16 11:31:25 PM

Event ID: 142

Task Category: (173)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-0PV92GQ

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>142</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>173</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-18T22:31:25.787851900Z" />

<EventRecordID>814</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-0PV92GQ</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ResetReasonMask">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

André Baptista, Apr 7, 2017
Thema:

Watchdog - Event Id 142 and 13

1. Watchdog - Event Id 142 and 13 - Similar Threads - Watchdog Event 142

2. Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142: I was using windows 11 and my restarted unexpectedly. No warnings, no errors, nothing at all. I saw some error in the event viewer and I had no idea. There was a windows update earlier and I assumed that it was causing the restart. I tried to fix it by reading a lot online...
  3. Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142: I was using windows 11 and my restarted unexpectedly. No warnings, no errors, nothing at all. I saw some error in the event viewer and I had no idea. There was a windows update earlier and I assumed that it was causing the restart. I tried to fix it by reading a lot online...
  4. Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005

Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005: Hello,It's a couple of months I have this problem I think it startet around half of may after a windows update.It's not very frequent but it all starte while playing Escape from Tarkov.Basically my pc froze and I had to force restart by pressing the power button.After I...
  5. Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005: Hello,It's a couple of months I have this problem I think it startet around half of may after a windows update.It's not very frequent but it all starte while playing Escape from Tarkov.Basically my pc froze and I had to force restart by pressing the power button.After I...
  6. Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. VSS Event ID 8193 and 13

in Windows 10 Support
    VSS Event ID 8193 and 13: Two errors side by side VSS EVENT ID 8193 Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress. . Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 11/14/2020 9:13:55 PM Event ID: 8193 Task Category:...
  8. VSS event id 13

VSS event id 13: Hello everyone, I am an user of Windows 10 and a couple months back my computer started randomly shutting down... I noticed that it happens randomly but periodically. It happens 3x times a week on average and Its really annoying. I managed to find the error which could be...
  9. Event ID 41 & 142

Event ID 41 & 142: Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittant and random power offs - unexpected shutdowns. The system does not automatically restart and no blue screens occur before the event. I can see no correlation to when this happens - when watching media, browsing...
  10. Windows 10 VSS Event ID 13

Windows 10 VSS Event ID 13: Hi, I recently got this error, and haven't found a similar question asked. If anyone knows if this is serious or how to fix I would love to hear it, of course. VSS Event ID 13 Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kernel power event id 142 toshoba

2. event 13 hal

3. event id 13 hal windows 10

4. windows 10 hardware watchdog triggered a system reset,
  5. windows 10 id 142 kernel power,
  6. 331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4 eventid 142,
  7. event id 142 can be ignored?,
  8. system log hal 13 system watchdog timer triggered a reset,
  9. eventID 142 task 173