Windows 10: Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC?

Discus and support Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ran the setup exe for the Win10 preview, and it did some thinking then told me to restart to begin the upgrade. I've decided I don't want to upgrade,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Delicieuxz, May 12, 2015.

1. Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC?

I ran the setup exe for the Win10 preview, and it did some thinking then told me to restart to begin the upgrade. I've decided I don't want to upgrade, and now I'm wondering whether restarting the PC is going to give me the option to cancel the upgrade or not. I guess people here know what happens when restarting, and can tell me.

:)

Delicieuxz, May 12, 2015
  2. TheKIHA Win User

My PC is stuck at sign-in screen

Is there a way to downgrade it to previous version of windows, cuz I had win7 before upgrading it to win10.

TheKIHA, May 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Clean Install With Free Upgrade

It seems you haft to install Win10 over 7 or 8.1 So, the best way to get a clean install is to run your Win7 install disk, and use it to install the upgrade that is provided, this will bring it up to date and is the only way to clean it up. You will not
    lose anything on HD. This should give you the cleanest HD you will ever get before installing the Win10 upgrade. DO NOT choose the new install offer as you will format HD and will have to re-install Win7, and haft to bring it all up to date before upgrading
    to Win10.

BruceSOCKERSON, May 12, 2015
  4. Charlie Win User

Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC?

Was you booting from a dvd or a USB stick? More than likely it will just boot to Windows 7. If you are booting from media like dvd or such take that out first?

Charlie, May 12, 2015
  5. I was in Windows 7, and I downloaded the updater exe from Win 10 Insider, and ran it to see what the setup process is, and after a few button clicks it did some thinking, then said the upgrade will continue the next time I restart my PC.

I assume I will be able to back out of the upgrade when I restart, but if not then I might want to look into how I can cancel any upgrade startup process before I restart my PC.

Delicieuxz, May 12, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    Well I would think it would give you the option to cancel the upgrade but then it might not. I have installed that way on 10 but can't recall if there was a cancel option.*Biggrin

Charlie, May 12, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I always Clone any OS before upgrading just in case some goes awry .

8. Charlie Win User

Charlie, May 12, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Looks like you can click I don't accept on the License page during install to exit.

Ztruker, May 13, 2015
  10. Delicieuxz ,

Assuming you used the .exe updater from Microsoft, if you go to Windows Update, you can hide the update and Windows will not install the update. I'm not sure if this will work for you. but it worked for me. But if it does then you're welcome. *Smile

Michaelvas17, May 15, 2015
  11. ^ That is what I ended up doing - although the process has made my C: free space decrease by 2 GB somehow. And I've run disk cleanup and removed all Windows installation files, as well as my user\temp folder. I have Win7 installed on a 90 GB SSD, and I had just above 7 GB of free space before, and now it's just above 5 GB of free space.

Delicieuxz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC? - Similar Threads - cancel Win10 upgrade

2. Any Way to Download Win7 Antivirus for Win10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Any Way to Download Win7 Antivirus for Win10?: I know it's outdated and crappy, i don't care. With that out of the way, any site that hosts Windows 7's pre installed antivirus that I could install for Windows 10? Thanks. 173199
  3. Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free: So, I'm selling my custom build PC of 3 years, and I just want to make sure I do this right. I originally bought a win7 pro key (not sure what kind) and installed windows 7 with that and then upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade. I want to wipe the PC now. Will the...
  4. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  5. Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?: So I'm finally making the plunge to Win10 now that Win7 is no longer officially supported. I wanted to make sure I don't lock myself out and upgrade properly. Should I disable my TPM before starting the Win10 upgrade and then just re-enable it once I get the upgrade...
  6. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  7. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  8. Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build

Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build: I have a system with an i7-3930k and Win7 retail license. I will be building a new i7-6700k system and will be reusing the SSD, HDD, graphics card and my Windows license. I ultimately want the new system to be Win10. Should I do the OS upgrade first, or build the new...
  9. Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10

Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10: Using an Asus CM8730 desktop with Win7. Purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and used Samsung Migration software to move Win7 to the SSD from the HD that came from the computer. All went well, the computer boots very fast from the SSD. After about a month of use I decided to...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716