Windows 10: Way to find out what activated my cmd window?

Discus and support Way to find out what activated my cmd window? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had just logged on to the Internet today and was getting ready to start "surfing" and my CMD window came up and closed before I could read what was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Probe, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Probe Win User

Way to find out what activated my cmd window?

I had just logged on to the Internet today and was getting ready to start "surfing" and my CMD window came up and closed before I could read what was activating it. Any way to see a log history of CMD windows? I want to know what it was. I don't like this.... could be innocent but maybe not.

:)

Probe, Jul 19, 2016
  2. KindOfCat Win User

Can't Open File Explorer on Windows 10

This suggestion didn't work. File Explorer appears to activate on my system, but it activates in a minimized state. No matter what I do, I cannot find a way to expand the File Explorer program. Now I don't have any way to access my files. I need to access
    my files, or find out if it is even possible to role back my operating system to Windows 8.1. Can you help restore access to my files?

If you can't help my access my File Explorer to have access to my files, can you provide instructions on how I can roll back to Windows 8.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 2?

KindOfCat, Jul 19, 2016
  3. juggie. Win User
    cmd menu

i'm doing a research on the cmd menu to find out what is the meaning of the settings

juggie., Jul 19, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

When you saw this, Did you log onto your computer or did you open a Browser? If you opened a browser, then you may have addons or extensions that are starting. It could be malware.
    What Browser are you using? Check your addons, plugins, and extensions for unknown programs: How to check and configure your browser plugins - TechRepublic

spunk, Jul 20, 2016
  5. Spiritos Win User
    Spiritos, Jul 20, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Doskey will show the history of commands entered in the current cmd window. But it won't tell you anything of when or why that window was opened. Windows does not maintain any log of when cmd windows are opened. Event viewer may reveal the cause indirectly but that is a long shot. Typically cmd windows come and go without leaving any traces.

LMiller7, Jul 20, 2016
  7. Probe Win User
    I cant remember if I was bringing CyberFox up or not when this happened. I did take a photo shot of my Admin Event Viewer on the day it happened. I guess not really telling a whole lot. A "CMD history" addition to Windows would be nice, so when this happens we could go back and see what it was.

Probe, Jul 21, 2016
  8. Spiritos Win User

I could never make much sense of event viewer myself but then again- I never really needed it nor was I curious about it. As @LMiller7 ruled out the Doskey option I have no idea how to investigate further, other than indeed checking logs and digging into it.

You could however also "tackle" this from another angle. I suppose your main concern is an infection. If you run a couple of Antivirus /Malware scans or use Hijackthis you can rule out that scenario.

Spiritos, Jul 21, 2016
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    I doubt that looking in the event logs will tell you much. It would require a detailed analysis of many entries and there likely is nothing relevant there anyway.

It is true that a log of cmd window openings could be useful. But how useful is questionable.

Microsoft receives huge numbers of feature requests. Many, for various reasons, could not be reasonably implemented. Many others would be of little general value. But there are still large numbers of features that would be of genuine value and could be reasonably implemented. But the sheer number of them is a problem. Implement even a small fraction of them and Windows would become a monstrosity that nobody would want to use. As a result Microsoft must carefully consider the value of a proposed feature against the costs, and this is far more than just time and money. Many useful features just don't make the cut. Maybe they will appear in a later version, or not.

If you are concerned about malware be aware that modern malware is very good at hiding it's tracks. It is fully capable of deleting log entries that might reveal it's presence, of preventing them from entering the log in the first place, or even falsifying it's contents. Considering the other things that malware does this isn't particularly difficult. Malware authors are experts on Windows internal workings, knowing far more than is in the official documentation.

LMiller7, Jul 21, 2016
  10. This was something you shouldnt even bother about.. In order to check what it was .. go to task scheduler and check what was the scheduled task at that time.

manish9009, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Way to find out what activated my cmd window? - Similar Threads - find activated cmd

2. Is there a way to find out and fix what is causing Windows to keep displaying particular...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there a way to find out and fix what is causing Windows to keep displaying particular...: I started seeing this error message since yesterday when I downloaded and installed drivers using the Snappy Driver Installer Origin tool. I initially thought Windows might fix itself on restart after SDIO finishes installing all the drivers. But after rebooting, I still see...
  3. Is there a way to find out and fix what is causing Windows to keep displaying particular...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to find out and fix what is causing Windows to keep displaying particular...: I started seeing this error message since yesterday when I downloaded and installed drivers using the Snappy Driver Installer Origin tool. I initially thought Windows might fix itself on restart after SDIO finishes installing all the drivers. But after rebooting, I still see...
  4. Is there a way to find out and fix what is causing Windows to keep displaying particular...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?: Hello, I put a new user profile on my computer for the kids to play on and I was trying to secure things so they couldn't mess my computer up and I did something to screw it up myself. I can still use the computer but a lot of my windows programs wont work. It comes back with...
  6. Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?: Hello, I put a new user profile on my computer for the kids to play on and I was trying to secure things so they couldn't mess my computer up and I did something to screw it up myself. I can still use the computer but a lot of my windows programs wont work. It comes back with...
  7. Is there a way to find out what program is blocking my windows update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to find out what program is blocking my windows update?: A chunk of time ago I installed a program to block windows updates. As of now, I need to enable them, however cannot remember what program I used. During the attempts to update windows code 0x80070020 pops up so I assume the software is aware that it's blocked, is there a way...
  8. Any way to find out what the updates are about?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to find out what the updates are about?: I'd like to know what the updates are for. Is there any way to find out? You'd think the notification feature in Windows 10 would tell you what the last update did or at least that your computer was restarted, but nothing there. submitted by /u/ConcentricGroove [link]...
  9. Is there a way I can find out what my secret question/answer is?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is there a way I can find out what my secret question/answer is?: I was looking through this today and noticed the section for answering a secret question Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials On one of my Windows 10 computers, I use a local administrator account. I don't recall answering a...
  10. Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?: Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation? I have done testing with insider programs. I also tested this with my windows 7 oem install, I rolled the oem back to windows 7. I also used a windows 7 retail version to also upgrade to windows 10. This way I...