Windows 10: way to modify the Start Menu programs?

Discus and support way to modify the Start Menu programs? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; in Win7 & Win 8.1.1 (with Start8) I can do Start|All Programs|right-click and select "open all users." Then i can create groups of apps. I like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kjlkjadfasdfasd, Nov 5, 2014.

1. way to modify the Start Menu programs?

in Win7 & Win 8.1.1 (with Start8) I can do Start|All Programs|right-click and select "open all users." Then i can create groups of apps. I like to create UTILS groups that has lots of things, some i rarely use & might not recall the name of, a MULTIMEDIA that has a few apps (but leaves out a bunch I don't use), etc. So I get just what I want, not what MS wants me to have.

It doesn't appear Win10 has this crucial (to me) bit of functionality. I wouldn't be using Win 8.1.1 if it weren't for Start8, because I don't like the all apps (or searching for apps whose names I might not know offhand).

Am I just missing it?

:)

kjlkjadfasdfasd, Nov 5, 2014
  2. Kris Ver Win User

How to completely modify the start menu

Hi Kyle,

You might be needing modifications in the registry to completely remove applications from the quick access menu. In this case,
    it is more appropriate to be asked in IT Pro TechNet Forums where
    you can get the best answer and the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who can respond to your query appropriately. They can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Should you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Kris Ver, Nov 5, 2014
  3. How to completely modify the start menu

Hello all,

Firstly, I have found the two locations for start menu items;

SYSTEM_WIDE: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

USER_ACCOUNT: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

For the purposes of management I want to reduce the number of items in my start menu to a much smaller number, but there are still a number of items I don't know how to complete;

- How to remove applications from the start menu which I habitually use keyboard to utilize;

Calculator <Win> + <R> : calc

Notepad <Win> + <R> : notepad

~ I don't WANT the calculator in my start menu, because I absolutely 100% know that it is available, and don't need a gui to use it.

- How to straight out remove items from the PC which I don't plan on using;

Camera for instance has no place on my office PCs, nor do I want to facilitate taking pictures in my office to post online.

~This is actually a security vulnerability.

Cortana

~I do not need an icon for this, I can just start typing in the start menu... why is this even here? --don't answer that, I don't need to know.

Feedback hub

~My workers don't need to provide feedback to Microsoft, that is my responsibility as their administrator, as is 'Get Help.'

Maps has no reason to be on my company PCs

Messaging has no reason to be on my company PCs

Microsoft Store has no reason to be on my company PCs

Mixed Reality Viewer has no reason to be on my company PCs

Movies and TV has no reason to be on my company PCs

etc.

In any case I am looking for a way to remove unnecessary applications from a quick access menu.

Kyle Manel, Nov 5, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

way to modify the Start Menu programs?

You can install Start8 onto Win10 and it works fine, from what others have posted in other threads.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 5, 2014
  5. yeah, that's disappointing that I would still need a third-party app to make it work the way I want it to. It's like Sinofsky is still in charge.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    It's a clunky solution but hey.. at least it still works.
    Be thankful for small things.

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Nov 5, 2014
  7. ThrashZone, Nov 5, 2014
  8. way to modify the Start Menu programs?

I do like the right tick on the Windows 10 Start Flag.
    It brings up a lot of things I use to keep on the desktop.

Layback Bear, Nov 5, 2014
  9. Greeting from the holly Jerusalem
    The windows 10 start is nice and combining both windows 7 and 8.1.1

aksalaymeh, Nov 5, 2014
  10. Mystere Win User
    No, it's not there... however, it's relatively easy to add the folders you want. If you absolutely have to do it through the menu itself, then there's this workaround.

1. Open Start Menu
    2. Navigate to an existing Subfolder, such as Accessories
    3. Right Click on icon for a non-Metro application like Calculator
    4. Choose Open File Location

This brings you directly into the All Programs Start Menu folder, and you can navigate here and add whatever folders you want.

You can do the same with System Tools and choose Command Prompt and right click and open file location to get your personal user start menu folder subfolders..

You'll end up in those subfolders, but at least you don't have to go looking for them.

Mystere, Nov 5, 2014
  11. machare Win User
    I run the "Classic Start Menu", that way I can find everything!

machare, Nov 5, 2014
  12. thanks, Mystere, that works!

a bit kludgey, since it required two reboots to show both folders properly -- first didn't show at all until a reboot, second one showed as named 'unknown' until a second reboot, but at least it's a workaround. I hope MS will restore this easy functionality before they release Windows 10. I'd hate to end up sticking with a 3rd-party Start Menu for the second straight OS. I think Windows 8.x has a lot of good in it (faster boots, better security, etc.), but only after adding a Start Menu, disabling the Charms, & essentially doing away with all Metro stuff.

13. Mystere Win User

You probably don't have to reboot. You can use the old "Explorer Reload Trick".

Make sure you start a command prompt first.

Then, hold down Ctrl-Shift and right click on All Programs in the start menu, you get a new option "Exit Explorer" This shuts down your shell. Then, in your Command Prompt type "Explorer" and it will start up again.

If you don't open the command prompt, you won't have a way to open a new explorer. You can try using Task Manager if you can get to it.. but if you're using remote desktop or an enhanced Hyper-V session, that can be tricky.

Mystere, Nov 6, 2014
  14. Kari Win User
  15. Rickkins Win User
    I'm still using Classic Shell, as I don't even wanna see any metro nonsense whatsoever while I'm on the computer. That is my bottom line. By including it in the start menu I walk away with the sense that ms is trying to slip it in thru the back door, trying some sleight of hand.

But, we won't be fooled again....*Dinesh (no no)....

Rickkins, Nov 7, 2014
Thema:

1. way to modify the Start Menu programs? - Similar Threads - modify Start Menu

2. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  3. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  4. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  5. Organizing Programs in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Organizing Programs in the Start Menu: I have installed a number of online games which now appear separately in the programs list in the start menu as well as tiles. I've consolidated the tiles into a single games folder. How do I do the same thing with the programs in the programs list?...
  6. Is there any way to remove the black background on programs in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to remove the black background on programs in the start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/packetpinger [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j2hdr0/is_there_any_way_to_remove_the_black_background/
  7. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  8. Unknown program in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown program in Start Menu: what is it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-program-in-start-menu/8ddcf8fd-d7a1-4a0a-9010-869fa651c347
  9. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  10. Installed program not in the start menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed program not in the start menu.: With a clean install of Win 10 1703 I installed MSI Afterburner from the administrator account but the shortcuts weren't placed in the standard accounts start menu. I'm not sure if this is Windows issue or MSI Afterburner as I haven't received a reply from Guru3d forums...