Windows 10: WD 1TB HDD failure today after update.

Discus and support WD 1TB HDD failure today after update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Was in the middle of creating an image on my data drive after todays update and at first, it threw write errors during the verification portion. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by meebers, Aug 23, 2016.

1. meebers Win User

WD 1TB HDD failure today after update.

Was in the middle of creating an image on my data drive after todays update and at first, it threw write errors during the verification portion. The next try, more write errors almost immediately upon first scan. Went to disk management and it was no longer there, no partition nothing. Pulled it out tried on another computer and it seems that it will no longer power up. Just need conformation, I am screwed, no way to get any data at all without it at least powering up.?? The drive is 9 months old, still under warranty, worried about the data on the drive. What does WD do with dead HDD's? Maybe I will "adjust it" with my 2 pound hammer and loose the $ rather than risk data breach. *Eek

:)

meebers, Aug 23, 2016
  2. SniperX2 Win User

Windows 10 is beginning to kill multiple number of brand new WD HDDs on my PC recently, which had no such problems at all before.

Windows 10 is beginning to kill multiple number of brand new WD HDDs on my PC recently, which had no such problems at all before.

Hi,

I'm suffering from the same problem with punkpatio now.

I've been using Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro after upgrade well without problem.

But, about the time when the Windows 10 1 year anniversary upgrade was applied,

I'm having great troubles with my PC.

1) WD Blue 1TB HDD (internal) suddenly produced multiple bad sectors without any malware infection.

The WD Blue 1TB HDD was used only for data storage and my booting partition is Plextor M6Pro 256 GB SSD.

2) Even when I backed up every data on WD Blue 1TB to a brand new WD Black 1TB HDD (internal), same issue had occurred within 1 week. Windows 10 does not recognize G: (WD Black 1TB) sometimes and the HDD test sometimes report 'too many bad sectors'.

3) The number of small icons for loaded programs after booting located on right bottom of the desktop screen reduced from 8 to 4.

4) I tried recovery with diskimage which I prepared today after clean installation of Windows 10 and every possible update for various drivers. After recovery using diskimage recovery, the number of small icons task bar(?) restored to 8 and the G: drive
    is well recognized for a while. But after I run HDD SCAN and WD DataLifeGuard Diagnostics for my G: (WD Black 1TB internal HDD) multiple times to see if there is any bad sector and error in my HDD, G: drive is sometimes not recognized and the number of small
    icons loaded decreases to 4. And also the PC vaccine program (Ahnlab's V3 365 Clinic) is not properly loaded after PC boot up.

I think it is not a matter of individual HDD but rather it would be a software problem.

And because I had not installed any complex 3rd party programs, and my PC went well for several months after upgrade to Windows 10, I wonder it would have been related with recent update for Windows 10.

I think I'm wasting my time and hope Microsoft will have a deep look at this issue.

WD DataLifeGuard Diagnostics sometimes judges the WD HDDs have too many bad sectors and sometimes later OK without any obvious reason.

When I looked upon the default driver for Data Storage devices, the date of default driver was 2006-xx-xx, which I think is too old??

I hope Microsoft and WD would resolve this issue perfectly, because I'm thinking I should get away from Microsoft Windows 10 and WD HDDs.

SniperX2, Aug 23, 2016
  3. SniperX2 Win User
    Windows 10 is killing my Western Digital hard drives

Hi,

I'm suffering from the same problem with punkpatio now.

I've been using Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro after upgrade well without problem.

But, about the time when the Windows 10 1 year anniversary upgrade was applied,

I'm having great troubles with my PC.

1) WD Blue 1TB HDD (internal) suddenly produced multiple bad sectors without any malware infection.

The WD Blue 1TB HDD was used only for data storage and my booting partition is Plextor M6Pro 256 GB SSD.

2) Even when I backed up every data on WD Blue 1TB to a brand new WD Black 1TB HDD (internal), same issue had occurred within 1 week. Windows 10 does not recognize G: (WD Black 1TB) sometimes and the HDD test sometimes report 'too many bad sectors'.

3) The number of small icons for loaded programs after booting located on right bottom of the desktop screen reduced from 8 to 4.

4) I tried recovery with diskimage which I prepared today after clean installation of Windows 10 and every possible update for various drivers. After recovery using diskimage recovery, the number of small icons task bar(?) restored to 8 and the G: drive
    is well recognized for a while. But after I run HDD SCAN and WD DataLifeGuard Diagnostics for my G: (WD Black 1TB internal HDD) multiple times to see if there is any bad sector and error in my HDD, G: drive is sometimes not recognized and the number of small
    icons loaded decreases to 4. And also the PC vaccine program (Ahnlab's V3 365 Clinic) is not properly loaded after PC boot up.

I think it is not a matter of individual HDD but rather it would be a software problem.

And because I had not installed any complex 3rd party programs, and my PC went well for several months after upgrade to Windows 10, I wonder it would have been related with recent update for Windows 10.

I think I'm wasting my time and hope Microsoft will have a deep look at this issue.

WD DataLifeGuard Diagnostics sometimes judges the WD HDDs have too many bad sectors and sometimes later OK without any obvious reason.

When I looked upon the default driver for Data Storage devices, the date of default driver was 2006-xx-xx, which I think is too old??

I hope Microsoft and WD would resolve this issue perfectly, because I'm thinking I should get away from Microsoft Windows 10 and WD HDDs.

SniperX2, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

The AU update was causing people not to see drives/partitions anymore but if it won't spin up ,it sounds like you have a physical failure, still under warranty though , only you can decide how valuable what's on it is. Not sure how WD would spin it up if you can't without alot of trouble , so they likely just destroy it.

Kbird, Aug 23, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    Depending on what's wrong with the drive it would probably be refurbished.

Winuser, Aug 23, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Well that surprises me , as it aint worth $30 , but then again who knows where it would be recycled too , so yeah a hammer or a Drill maybe a good option , if there is sensitive data.

Kbird, Aug 23, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    *Ditto Agreed.

simrick, Aug 23, 2016
  8. meebers Win User

Last night, I put the HDD in a zip lock bag and placed it in the refrigerator (37F). This morning plugged it into the power supply cable and I heard it "click" and the motor started up. Quickly copied all the files to another HDD and I am currently running the WD diagnostic's. During the extended test, the program aborted. There is an option to write all "1's" to it and will do that then send it away.

meebers, Aug 23, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    that trrick has worked for me several times too , good news ... i usually put it in the Freezer though.

Kbird, Aug 23, 2016
  10. DooGie Win User
    Just don't tell them you froze it *Thumbs

DooGie, Aug 23, 2016
  11. meebers Win User
    Without knowing for sure, I assume they have temp sensitive "tape" somewhere on the inside probably more for heat than cold??

meebers, Aug 23, 2016
  12. DooGie Win User
    Fingers crossed for you. I hope they will replace it foc under warranty.

DooGie, Aug 23, 2016
  13. Berton Win User

Let's see, it's coming out of Winter in parts of Australia so maybe you had been visiting there? Or maybe Antarctica?

Berton, Aug 23, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Good deal! That's worked once or twice for me as well.
    *Roflmao2

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WD 1TB HDD failure today after update. - Similar Threads - 1TB HDD failure

2. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  3. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  4. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WD Elements 1TB External USB HDD support exFAT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD Elements 1TB External USB HDD support exFAT: Hi there I am wondering if formatting my WD Elements External Hard Drive to exFAT requires the hardrive to be relatvely new (it is quite old) or would need some sort of compatibility label to be used with exFAT. It is currently NTFS and I am not sure if formatting it to...
  6. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  7. WD failure

in Windows 10 Customization
    WD failure: Received notice of response from Frederik Long regarding two threads but cannot find thread regarding failure to recognize Administrator and deletion of files in hard drive. Files continue to disappear .....
  8. 1TB HDD not Migrated

in Windows 10 Customization
    1TB HDD not Migrated: Why am I seeing this error? New 1TB HDD, and why is Windows not letting me use the HDD. Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST4000DM&Prod_000-1F2168\4&1f5e0e69&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id:...
  9. WD blue 1tb not showing on windows

WD blue 1tb not showing on windows: hello im having a problem with my hard drive when i restart it takes a long time to load on bios and it says smart capable but command failed but i can see it on bios, on windows the hard drive is not showing i tried to disabled smart but thatt wont help pls help me 83996
  10. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device xx was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.