Windows 10: WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting

Discus and support WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Also if the OP hasn't already registered that drive with WD, he should, because the WD Black drives have a full 5 year warranty. I've had WD replace a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by storageman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting

Also if the OP hasn't already registered that drive with WD, he should, because the WD Black drives have a full 5 year warranty. I've had WD replace a couple of them in the past.

storageman, Apr 5, 2018
  2. cwburns32 Win User

Hello all,

Purchased a WD 6TB not too long ago and it seems to be having issues. I store several video files on the HDD among a number of other files. It often will hang when trying to load a folder or file. Sometimes when watching a video it will seem to pause for 1-2 minutes and then just continue playing. Sometimes it continues to happen other times it happens several times in row before fixing itself.

I know I can simply format it and hope for the best but was wondering if there a way to test it, troubleshooting it before I go ahead and wipe. I have about 4TB of data on there currently.

Please let me know what you need from me. My build specs in my profile are updated.

Thanks!

:)

cwburns32, Apr 21, 2018
  3. Error: "The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" while trying to access the WD hard drive on Windows 10

Original title: Installing a 4TB & 6TB WD Internal HDD on Windows 10

Hi Guys

I am trying to install 2 new HDDs. One is WD Blue 4TB for all my videos & pictures and WD Black 6TB for my games. I currently have Windows installed on a WD Green 2TB drive.

The problem is that WD Blue is not showing up at all on bios & Disk Management but my WD Black 6TB is showing up on both Bios and Disk Management. I'm still having major problems with WD Black 6TB as shown in the picture below

WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting [​IMG]

The WD Black 6TB is Disk 0 but i can't initialize the HD either through MBR or GBT as i get either a "The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" on MBR or "The specified Disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum
    size required for GPT Disks" on GPT

I've tried Diskpart as well but no success

As you can probably imagine i've spent quite a bit of money on these 2 new HD's so its rather annoying that its not as easy to install HDs as what it used to be!

Thanks for any help

ChristianLarsen2803, Apr 21, 2018
  4. Mathe_9 Win User

WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting

Boot issue.

Windows 7 or 10 will not boot when my 6TB WD external USB drive is connected.

Mathe_9, Apr 21, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    • Download: Downloading File /69241/CrystalDiskInfo7_6_0.zip - CrystalDiskInfo - OSDN and run to check if there's any yellow warning sign.
      and also look at the temp if it exceeds 40 degree C.
    • Is this 6TB disk external or internal ? If External then there's an interface circuit inside the enclosure controlling disk I/O between it and the PC. If the interface is not well designed, the I/O speed can be varied from time to time. Transfer speed is much slower with USB interface than with Sata port.
    • Check the power scheme. The default is set for 20 minutes, if there's no activity, the disk will spin down to save power. Set it to Never.
    • After a while using the disk, the disk will be fragmented, files will scatter. You'd need to run Disk defragment to consolidate files on the Disk.

topgundcp, Apr 22, 2018
  6. Do people actually read the OP's problem before responding with canned answers?

He says the video will pause/hang for one or two minutes, then resume. The drive is not idle, so there's no reason to think that the power scheme is spinning down the drive. Scratch suggestion #3.

The OP bought the drive "not too long ago" and has a few video files. Fragmentation is unlikely (and wouldn't result in 1-2 minutes of "hang" time. Scratch suggestion #4.

margrave55, Apr 22, 2018
  7. swarfega Win User
    On a side note, do you do regular backups. It can be a bit more problematic with larger drives as to finding the right solution.

swarfega, Apr 22, 2018
  8. cwburns32 Win User

It's an internal HDD. Will do these when I get home later today but as the gentleman below mentioned. This happens when drive is active, I suppose the slow loading of a particular folder or the driver itself happens more when it is coming out of an idle state though?

Drive is <12 months old.
    Thank you for clarifying and saving me the time on the other 2 suggestions.

I have a backup of all the data on this drive on an external HDD. Wiping is not an issue just something I'd rather avoid unless I absolutely have to.

cwburns32, Apr 22, 2018
  9. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, Apr 22, 2018
  10. mblack Win User
    just check power management - computer might be turning it off

mblack, Apr 22, 2018
  11. Mooly Win User
    Although this may not be applicable in this instance, there are drives available that major on recording and playing back media... these drives are typically lower performing in absolute terms and may have slower spin speeds. The big difference is that they prioritise steady data flow above all else, even putting such things as error correction at a lower priority.

One example is the Seagate "Video 3.5"

Mooly, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

1. WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting - Similar Threads - Black 6TB HDD

2. Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black: I've done this so infrequently that I keep forgetting how to to do it. I have multiple hard drives on my computer. I want to replace a WD 2 TB Black with a WD 4 TB Black, copying all content from the WD 2 TB to the new WD 4 TB Black. The Windows 10 OS is not on this drive. I...
  3. New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.: Hello, I just finished upgrading my computer. I have a 4TB WD Black Hard drive and a WD SN750 SSD installed, first time using two drives, and first time using a SSD. I installed new copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and it shows as C: drive, and I intended to use the 4TB Hard...
  4. Wd 3t hdd???

Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  5. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  6. Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?: Hello. This may be a dumb question but... I have a 1TB SSD and 5TB hard drive in my desktop pc. I want to back up everything. All my data, all my files, etc. I plan on running the backup nightly or at least a couple times per week. I'm looking at the WD black hard drive, but...
  7. WD HDD Not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD HDD Not responding: Hey, Am facing a big problem with my hard disk, for the past days it has been working well until yesterday when I wanted to transfer some movies from another computer to mine, it copied the movies and stopped in the middle and got stuck. Now since yesterday 02/07/2020 every...
  8. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  9. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  10. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...