Windows 10: WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports

Discus and support WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all I recently sold my stationary, but decided to keep my internal hard drives and turn them into externals so that I would be able to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ulverbeast, Nov 7, 2016.

1. WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports

Hello all

I recently sold my stationary, but decided to keep my internal hard drives and turn them into externals so that I would be able to use them with my laptop for backup and long-term storage.

I ended up buying two Raidsonic Icy Box IB-373: IB-373U3

My hard drives are 2TB and 4TB, both Western Digital Caviar Green.

Now, when I plug the 4TB drive into either of the two enclosures, it works perfectly fine in my USB 2 port, but when I plug it into my USB 3 ports it is extremely slow, and often times out, when I try to copy anything to it. It usually transfers a few MB's and then stalls, and then transfers again, until at some point it times out. I can easily watch videos that I have on it though.

I have tested my USB 3 ports using another USB 3 enabled external drive and it worked perfectly fine and achieved expectable speeds, so I know my ports and my laptop are not at fault.

My question is whether this could be a problem with my hard drives? It seems unlikely that both the enclosures would be faulty, but it could be. Sadly I cannot test my 2TB drive before I have backed everything up on it, but I will be doing so shortly and then testing it. Until then, any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

Edit: the other external I tested with was a 2.5" kingston SSD in an external enclosure that followed when I bought it.

I just remembered now that the first time I plugged my 4TB external into one of the USB 3 ports it worked fine, although at USB 2 speeds. I have not been able to replicate this since.

:)

Ulverbeast, Nov 7, 2016
  2. johnd2117 Win User

WD drive not recognised by Win10

I have a WD Caviar Blue 500Gb sata drive mounted in a Digitus USB external enclosure. This drive has been working fine until I installed Windows 10. Now I get a message that the drive failed to enumerate, (Code 35). Can anybody help please?

I have tested the drive on a laptop with Win 8.1 on it and the drive works perfectly, so it has to be a Win 10 anomaly.

Regards John

johnd2117, Nov 7, 2016
  3. SiPeKi Win User
    Attempting to restore system image to new HDD, getting error message, and bios error

Kalpana,

Thank you for the reply.

Found this thread relating to WD Green Drives and AHCI setting:

WD Caviar Green: POST hangs detecting AHCI drive, can't boot up

Looks like WD Green drives does not support AHCI and need the legacy setting of IDE.

Here is a webpage explain AHCI:

WD Caviar Green: POST hangs detecting AHCI drive, can't boot up

Must be a cost issue with not supporting AHCI on the WD green drive. Which is odd as AHCI is the green option.

Regards,

Simon

SiPeKi, Nov 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports

I don't have a solution, but I can tell you I have the same problem with an external enclosure. I think it has something to do with the UASP support.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2016
  5. I have now fixed the 2TB drive and tested it, and the result is the exact same. Times out on the USB3 ports when transferring files, but otherwise works fine. No problems in USB2 ports.

So if I get the money back for these and buy 2 without UASP support, they should work just fine?
    I have been googling around but I can't find anyone with a similar problem. A lot of people with drives not showing up, but none where only copying/cutting are affected.

Ulverbeast, Nov 9, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Can't say for sure, but I can tell you that my older USB enclosures (including USB3) enclosures that do not have UASP support work just fine.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2016
  7. Just tried updating my chipset and booting up the computer with the external plugged in and turned on, still no dice. I will try swapping them in for some USB3 non-UASP externals, hopefully that'll solve the issue.

Thanks!

Ulverbeast, Nov 9, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

When the drive is plugged into a USB 3.0 port do you see a ''USB attached SCSI (UAS) mass storage device entry in "Storage Controllers, Device Manager ?

According to the manufacturer:

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 9, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Somebody has recently tracked down issues with the IcyDock 4-drive enclosures to similar sounding UASP problems. Check out this thread: Lost access to drive - - Windows 10 Forums. You may also find it worthwhile to contact the OP, because he's been researching UASP stuff recently.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 9, 2016
  10. Yes, when it is plugged in I see this entry.
    I just tested the drive on another computer and it works fine with high speeds there, so it definitely seems to be an issue with my computer, maybe the drivers.

Ulverbeast, Nov 10, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Quite possibly. Can you check if these are different compared to the machine that works OK with the drives ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 10, 2016
  12. I would love to, but as I understand it USB 3 and UASP are both supposed to be natively supported by Windows 10. I can try plugging in the drives to both computers and see in Device Manager whether there is a difference in drivers/versions that they run off, but other than that I am stumped as to how to research this further. Any ideas?

Ulverbeast, Nov 12, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

On my machines I run MS driver 10.01.14393 2006 UASPSTOR.SYS which works fine.
    My idea was that maybe on the trouble machine an OEM driver was running.
    I doubt it's the WD Green Intellipark feature that's causing trouble. It never has on any of my own WD HDD'S
    Still, I stumbled upon this:

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=...d=0#msg2278208

and this:

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Important note:

Other then that, no, no ideas so far.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports - Similar Threads - Caviar Green external

2. External HDD enclosure works with the USB 2.0 port but not in USB 3.0. I have no idea why.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD enclosure works with the USB 2.0 port but not in USB 3.0. I have no idea why.: With the USB 2.0 port, I can access the HDD. If I connect the enclosure to the USB 3.0 port, the Device Manager and Disk Management doesn't see anything. Other devices such as two USB sticks work with the USB 3.0 port, so the port itself isn't broken. submitted by...
  3. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  4. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  5. USB port not functioning

USB port not functioning: Hello there, this morning my laptop's USB port was working just fine. But for some reason, the USB port on the right is not working. Is there a fix to it? What causes this to happen?...
  6. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  7. Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot

Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot: Long story short. I have an older pc that had a m.2 to sata connector. I accidentally broke the adapter and have moved the m.2 ssd to a m.2 USB 3.0 external enclosure to try and boot from that and am not having success. Is this possible? If so how? Don't want to lose my data...
  8. Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot: Long story short. I have an older pc that had a m.2 to sata connector. I accidentally broke the adapter and have moved the m.2 ssd to a m.2 USB 3.0 external enclosure to try and boot from that and am not having success. Is this possible? If so how? Don't want to lose my data...
  9. External ORICO USB 3.0 enclosure (2189U3) working on USB 2.0 and 3.1 ports but not in any...

External ORICO USB 3.0 enclosure (2189U3) working on USB 2.0 and 3.1 ports but not in any...: As the title suggest I have an external enclosure ORICO USB 3.0 (model no. 2189U3) housing an OCZ ARC-100 SSD that will not work if plugged in any USB 3.0 port on my desktop Ryzen 2700X on my GIGABYTE AORUS X470 GAMING 7 WIFI motherboard. Things that I identified so far...
  10. WD MyPassport 1TB only works through USB 2 ports, USB 3 not recognised

WD MyPassport 1TB only works through USB 2 ports, USB 3 not recognised: Hi, to cut the story short, mypassport external drive suddenly stopped being recognised on USB 3 ports (it lights up and spins, but no drive shows up) whereas the USB 2 port is working fine albeit slow obviously. The SMART data show 700 hours of being powered on and...