Windows 10: WD HDD Colour codes - confused -- any help

Discus and support WD HDD Colour codes - confused -- any help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Looking at WD HDD's these days I feel one needs to be a member of The Rainbow Coalition to make any sense of them. Anybody know what the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

WD HDD Colour codes - confused -- any help

Hi there
    Looking at WD HDD's these days I feel one needs to be a member of The Rainbow Coalition to make any sense of them.

Anybody know what the difference is between BLACK, GREEN, RED, BLUE, PURPLE etc HDD's from WD.
    I'm sure some are for servers / enterprise quality, other consumer stuff but I haven't a clue on what the various designations are.

Any help or decent UNDERSTANDABLE links please.

Thanks

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016

2. WD USB HDD failing in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

This is just a general info post for anyone else having problems with WD USB HDDs in Windows 10 Storage Spaces. I had problems with my WD Elements USB HDDs failing in SS. Over the past several months, WD first replaced and then upgraded all my WD USB HDDs
    to WD My Books USB HDDs. For some reason, the WD USB HDDs work perfectly fine in SS for a period of time, and then one day they don't. SS will automatically mark the drive as bad and reallocate the data to other drives in the pool (if you have enough unused
    storage space). WD is aware of the problem with their USB drives in SS, but they have not been able to find the cause/solution. In the end, I had to remove ALL my WD USB HDDs from my SS pool because of these failures.

Early warning signs of impending WD USB HDD failure in SS included computer lock up on rebooting with the WD drives attached to the SS pool, and also random reboot/crashes while SS was running on the computer. Eventually, on my system, SS just reports that
    the WD has failed and tell you to remove it. Once I took my WD USB HDDs out of the SS pool, I no longer had these other problems.

Mind you, all these WD USB HDDs work fine as standalone drives and all passed the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics testing both before, and after, their failures in SS. In the end, I had to remove all my WD USB HDDs from the SS pool of drives and use them as offline
    backup only. I replaced all my WD USB HDDs in my SS pool with other brands. I have never had these SS problems with any other brand USB HDD. Until/If WD is able to find the cause/solution to why their WD drives, and ONLY their WD drives are failing in SS,
    then I would strongly recommend you get some other brand drives for your SS pool.

If you have similar problems with your WD USB HDDs in SS, PM me for the name of the WD Tech Level II support that I worked with over several months. Although they were not able to find the cause/solution to my problem, reporting similar failures to the same
    Level II tech rep might save everyone time and trouble, and hopefully they will be able to find out what is causing these problems with their WD USB HDDs in SS.

This post is not intended to flame WD. They were good enough to replace, and then even upgrade, all my WD USB HDDs that failed in SS - even though the drives all passed the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics testing both before and after the SS failures. However,
    the bottom line is that they have a problem with their WD USB HDDs running in SS pools and they have not yet been able to find the cause/solution to the problem.

GeorgeTaus, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

This is George, the original poster on this thread. I don't know what MS will say, but I can tell you that I have spent months dealing with WD and their USB HDDs failing in Storage Spaces. I don't know why, but my problems all came back to the WD drives
    in my Storage Spaces pool. Eventually, every one of my WD drives was finally detected as bad by Storage Spaces and then automatically the data was reallocated to other drives, then SS would tell me to remove the WD drive. WD tech support Level 1 was not very
    helpful, and they completely avoided any responsibility for problems with their WD drives in SS.

However, I keep pressing the issue and got passed up to a WD Level II tech support. They remote desktop controlled my system and were able to verify that of my 16 USB HDDs in the SS pool, only the WD drives were marked as failed. They replaced my WD Elements
    USB HDDs with WD My Book USB HDDs, which is an upgrade model. The new WD My Book replacements worked for a short period of time in SS, but also failed in SS after only weeks. I know for a fact that WD Level II tech support is aware of the problems I have had
    and reported with their WD USB HDDs in my SS pool. They said they cannot reproduce the problem in their SS setup at WD.

Although WD Tech Level II support was outstanding in their customer service and working with me to resolve the issue with their drives in SS, in the end, they still don't know why their drives are marked as failing and automatically removed from the SS pool.
    Mind you, all my WD USB HDDs work perfectly fine as standalone drives and all passed the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics tests both before and after their failures in the SS pool.

Unfortunately, I have had to replace ALL my WD drives in my SS pool and replace them with other brands. I have resorted to using my WD USB HDDs as offline backup only. Until/If WD ever figures out why their drives are failing in SS, I will not buy WD anymore
    for my SS pool. NONE of my other brand drives (Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba, etc) have ever had any problems in SS.

To your original question, my problems with the computer not booting and/or crashing after running, all stopped when I removed the WD USB HDDs from my pool. SS does not like these WD drives and WD knows of the problem. PM me if you want the name of the contact
    I worked with in WD Tech Level II support. Maybe talking to the same tech rep with your problems will save you time and frustration that I have going through for months. At least he knows the problem is there and WD still has not found a cause/solution. But
    like I said, my final solution was just to replace all the WD HDDs with other brands. Good luck.

GeorgeTaus, Apr 22, 2016
  4. DooGie Win User
Thema:

WD HDD Colour codes - confused -- any help

1. WD HDD Colour codes - confused -- any help - Similar Threads - HDD Colour codes

2. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  3. Windows colour pallete getting confused on launch of apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows colour pallete getting confused on launch of apps: So here's the issue, reboot computer and colour pallete displays correctly. Launch and app and the pallete gets confused. Not a driver issue a windows issue after reading all the fob offs on previous complaints. What's the issue?...
  4. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  5. WD HDD Not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD HDD Not responding: Hey, Am facing a big problem with my hard disk, for the past days it has been working well until yesterday when I wanted to transfer some movies from another computer to mine, it copied the movies and stopped in the middle and got stuck. Now since yesterday 02/07/2020 every...
  6. Confusing partitions on HDD

Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  7. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  8. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  9. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  10. Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD)

Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD): So tech people.I am confused.You see first of all in most settings in my UEFI my SSD is recognized except one in Storeage Configuration if I remember correctly.Anywho ive done some settings here and there and when i boot it asks me if i want it to be from HDD or SSD. I Boot...