Windows 10: WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open

Discus and support WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good afternoon guys my name is Tamara. I'm a Mac girl so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I just purchased a 24" all in one desktop from Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tamaramarrero, Sep 21, 2016.

1. WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open

Good afternoon guys my name is Tamara. I'm a Mac girl so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I just purchased a 24" all in one desktop from Dell with Windows 10 for video/picture editing. Anyways, when I connected my WD My Book (that has worked flawlessly on my MacBook, and it has a bunch of videos and pictures stored) it doesn't open automatically and when I looked under File Explorer its not listed on the left side either. However when I opened Device Manager it was listed under "Disk Drives" and "WD Drive Management devices." Do you guys have any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open [​IMG]

:)

tamaramarrero, Sep 21, 2016
  2. DonWG_217 Win User

Windows file explorer

Hi, The only place the drive shows up is under other devices in device manager. It doesn't show up under disk drives. I tried it on another laptop and it works fine. It is a Seagate 2tb drive.

Thanks for the help!

DonWG_217, Sep 21, 2016
  3. WikiPR Win User
    Windows 10 giving "Can't create the pool" and "check drive connections" errors when creating two-way mirror storage spaces

Thanks, it worked flawlessly. I have both a WD-320GB and a WD-2TB, added the 320 and then the 1tb. I tried disconnecting the drives, disabling the in device manager....nothing worked!

WikiPR, Sep 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open

Hi Tamara and welcome to Tenforums.
    I think this has to do with formatting incompatibilities. The common format that both Windows and MAC can read is FAT32.
    Probably should look at trying out the free version of HFS for Windows, to allow it to read and write to a drive formatted for a MAC with HFS File System.
    HFS+ for Windows by Paragon Software| Paragon Software

Hope that helps.

simrick, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Also keep in mind that a lot of those third party programs that allow you to read other file formats that are not supported by Windows are pretty limited in what they allow. If you have the Macbook still, you can just share them off of there. Otherwise you are going to find that you will end up pulling the files back onto the Macbook onto another USB drive and then back to Windows.

I would suggest getting one of the Fantom drives, since they are a lot more reliable than the Western Digital My Books, which have had the drives go bad on them. Fantom offers one series with both USB 3.0 and eSATA. You can get them all the way up to a 8TB.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    They may be stuck having to pay $20 for the upgraded version, which would be worth it in the long run. I always tell people to keep their drives at FAT32, so that regardless what OS they connect it to, they do not run into these kind of headaches.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Hey guys thanks for the help so far, so I downloaded this and I didn't exactly know how to use it but when I went to disk management I can't seem to find the WD external this is what I got. So am I stuck putting all the files on the WD My Book back on my Mac and then somewhat formatting it to work on Windows and then putting the files back on it? or what is my fix I guess.

tamaramarrero, Sep 22, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

simrick, Sep 22, 2016
  9. tamaramarrero, Sep 23, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Excellent news. Cheers and thanks for the rep! *Smile

simrick, Sep 23, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    Just for future reference, I got 2 WDC MyCloud NAS drives [2TB each] and plugged them into my Router [via an 8-port Switch] and can access them from Windows, Mac OS X El Capitan MacBook Pro and various versions of Linux [have a Desktop and a Notebook with Linux Mint 17]. I never had much luck finding a good NTFS add-in for the Mac.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WD My Book 2TB Shows Up In Device Manager But Doesn't Open - Similar Threads - Book 2TB Shows

2. Realtek doesn't show up in device manager, no audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek doesn't show up in device manager, no audio: This has been a consistent problem for months now. The past six months these drivers have uninstalled themselves four times, and each time fixes that work in the past don't work now.I have an MSI GS63 Stealth, and Realtek has completely disappeared from device manager.Upon...
  3. Realtek doesn't show up in device manager, no audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek doesn't show up in device manager, no audio: This has been a consistent problem for months now. The past six months these drivers have uninstalled themselves four times, and each time fixes that work in the past don't work now.I have an MSI GS63 Stealth, and Realtek has completely disappeared from device manager.Upon...
  4. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?: my computer notify when I plug in wd mybook driver but it not show up in files explorer . not show up in disk management but show up in devices manager .in device manager update driver is ok . Open detail is ok open property is ok but when open volome it notify " can not...
  5. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?: my computer notify when I plug in wd mybook driver but it not show up in files explorer . not show up in disk management but show up in devices manager .in device manager update driver is ok . Open detail is ok open property is ok but when open volome it notify " can not...
  6. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WD Blue M.2 drive showing up in bios and device manager but not disk management

WD Blue M.2 drive showing up in bios and device manager but not disk management: I really have no idea whats wrong with it, i tried so many different ways to fix it but none have worked so far. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-blue-m2-drive-showing-up-in-bios-and-device/c2c4d1e1-dfbe-4e05-80bc-af1c4d9f8bc1
  8. My built-in camera doesn't show up in device manager

My built-in camera doesn't show up in device manager: I have an Asus G751JT laptop. After I reinstalled windows 10 on it, the built-in camera has completely stopped working or being detected. Nothing shows up in device manager, I don't even have an imaging devices section in it. There are no unknown devices. The only strange...
  9. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...
  10. Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore

Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore: I have a WD 3tb My Book using WD Unlocker for the drive. I use this drive unlocked as I am the only one using the drive and no password required. There are 2 problems I'm having. The first is that when I start Win 10 Pro, 64bit, I get an error message telling me that "The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. work group pc

2. how to reinstall bluetooth driver microsoft.com

3. wd mybook drivers windows 10 doesnt show up in file mnanager