Windows 10: WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems...

Discus and support WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, So, I'm new to the forums and appreciate any direction/help that I can get. I searched but did not see another thread that would be better... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jonesy11, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Jonesy11 Win User

WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems...

Hi all,

So, I'm new to the forums and appreciate any direction/help that I can get. I searched but did not see another thread that would be better to post this in...

I use a WD My Passport Ultra (1TB) to store live music mp3s on. For many months everything was working just fine: I download the zip file to the external, unzip it using winzip 20 to the folder location desired on the external, and enjoy the music.

A couple of weeks ago the external started to barely load when viewing in explorer.exe (working on it..., not responding). Now, I've noticed that extracting files is taking a LONG time and when I plug in the external my mousepad functionality subsides (can't scroll and it is unresponsive for a few seconds at random times).

I've performed many troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue including WD troubleshooter, chkdsk, etc. and the external passes all tests...

Does anyone have any help they can offer up to help me resolve this?

:)

Jonesy11, Apr 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 does not recognize western digital My passport Ultra external hard drive

To fix the problem. I close all the virus protection including Window defender and internet. Removed the WD Passport Ultra program already install. Connect WD Passport to my computer and install the WD Passport program. Re initiate the virus protection.

All working good now

Gilles E. Boutin, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 updates and WD Passport software

Almost every time there is an update in Windows 10 it causes some kind of issue with my WD Passport software. The November update totally corrupted my WD Passport and I had to get a new one (which thankfully was under warranty). Thew last couple of updates
    have caused my WD icons to disappear. They used to be on my desktop, but I discovered through correspondence with WD that Windows now only allows WD icons to be pinned to the Taskbar or to Start. There was an update
    a few days ago and again my WD Smartware icon disappeared and I had to repin it.

I'm hoping that when it disappears from the Taskbar that it is still backing up my files (as I have it set to back up continuously.)

What is going on with Windows & WD?!

KathyMcCaffery, Apr 24, 2016
  4. WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems...

Try running the 'sfc /scannow' command.You possibly have a corrupt Explorer.exe.

AnonVendetta, Apr 24, 2016
  5. Jonesy11 Win User
    Hi Vendetta,

I just tried running the WD diagnostics programs again and it has failed them all. So, I believe that the problem lies in the external. It's very strange, but thankfully under warranty. I won't be able to save the data, but so it goes.

I appreciate the suggestion, however. I have ran that command prior to this post with no issues found.

Thanks!

Jonesy11, Apr 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, a couple of very simple ideas:
    1. does your My Passport Ultra work ok on a different PC? If so, you can clearly discount that.
    2. does a different disk work on your PC on the same port?

Ways to test your USB 3 speed (might help you to verify what you're seeing):
    How to test the speed of your USB drives

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems...

1. WD Passport causing Explorer.exe problems... - Similar Threads - Passport causing Explorer

2. WD passport can't be accessed in explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD passport can't be accessed in explorer Windows 11: I have a WD passport HDD that has files on it. I plugged it into my new computer running Windows 11. I can see the passport in device manager and it shows in disk management, but it doesn't show in explorer. I need to access some files on the drive....
  3. WD passport can't be accessed in explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD passport can't be accessed in explorer Windows 11: I have a WD passport HDD that has files on it. I plugged it into my new computer running Windows 11. I can see the passport in device manager and it shows in disk management, but it doesn't show in explorer. I need to access some files on the drive....
  4. WD Passport not visible in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD Passport not visible in Windows 11: I recently replaced my Dell laptop with a HP laptop with Windows 11. The Dell was running Windows 8 or 10. I cannot find WD Passport listed in file explorer. What happened to it? I cannot access any of my files stored on it through applications or stand alone....
  5. WD passport Not recognize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD passport Not recognize: i have hp pavilion dv5 notebook pc, & it d foes not recognize my WD passport, it shows the driver, & it says that it's working ok, go to my computer & it shows disk F, disk G disk C, but it does not shoe a letter for my WD passport,...
  6. WD passport Not recognize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD passport Not recognize: i have hp pavilion dv5 notebook pc, & it d foes not recognize my WD passport, it shows the driver, & it says that it's working ok, go to my computer & it shows disk F, disk G disk C, but it does not shoe a letter for my WD passport,...
  7. WD My Passport

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport: Hi. I have just purchased a Microsoft Laptop which unfortunately won't read my WD My Passport. does anyone have a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport/b3cf90e5-c78b-4104-a67e-e25c5faea50a
  8. wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.

wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.: So I know the drive isnt faulty, its just user error on the software side. What happened was I was using an ISO burning tool to burn password recovery software FOR FUTURE USE, MY PASSWORDS ARE FINE to an external flash drive. What i didnt know was that i was stupid and did...
  9. WD My Passport Ultra There but not there

WD My Passport Ultra There but not there: I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra and it was working fine. I accessed a picture from it to send out in in an email and afterwards shut down my laptop. HP Envy, Win 10 bla bla bla Later that day I booted up my laptop and the passport didn't show up in the file manager. It...
  10. wd passport

wd passport: I reloaded my windows 10 after a crash . But the WD password does not seems to find my files to be downloaded back to the PC . Even the WD program disappeared from the drive . What I have to do to get my files back ?...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wd my passport slow on chkdsk windows