Windows 10: "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

Discus and support "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm in a bit of a panic. I can't open 90% of my JPG photos. I have changed my default program to Photos, and downloaded a Reg Fix that seems to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RomanF, Jun 8, 2016.

1. RomanF Win User

"We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

I'm in a bit of a panic. I can't open 90% of my JPG photos. I have changed my default program to Photos, and downloaded a Reg Fix that seems to have helped others with the same issue. Still no change. When I go into the properties of a photo that cannot be displayed, all the values are there (Size of file, time taken)

I have uploaded the photos from my Nexus 6P a while back. Please help

Let me know if I can provide you with any other info!

:)

RomanF, Jun 8, 2016

2. Pictures

Many of my photos cant open, JPG files, it says "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates of Photo Viewer"

callum_20011, Jun 8, 2016
  3. LucyCatLF Win User
    Installed Windows 10 - now cannot access photos

Since installing Windows 10 a few days ago on our PC we can no longer access our photos (JPGs). They are still there - we can see the thumbnails. However if we try to open one we get a screen that says "This app can't open. Check the Windows store for
    more info about Photos. Go to the store" - when we then click 'close' we get an error message: the file path of the photo in question plus "The application cannot be started. Try reinstalling the application to fix the problem." If we try to access the store
    via the start menu, the store option is 'blued-out' and inaccessible.

LucyCatLF, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

I use Faststone Image viewer to view my photos. If you want to try it and see if it will allow you to view your photos. Request Rejected

Winuser, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    I don't know why the link say's Request Rejected. The link does work.

Winuser, Jun 9, 2016
  6. XnView opens just about any image file.

What was the Reg fix?
    Could you open the files before?
    What happens when you try to open the images? The App crashes? There's an error msg?

If you post one of the images that won't open, that might help figure out what's going on.

Slartybart, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Try changing the default app for .jpg to Windows Photo Viewer.

You can right click on a .jpg and select Open with then select Chose another app .... Find and select Windows Photo Viewer.

Or, open Control Panel then Default Programs. Click on Set your default programs. Scroll down to Windows Photo Viewer, select it then click on Set this program as Default.

Or open Control Panel, click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Scroll down to .jpg. Select it then click on Change program.... Scroll down and select Windows Photo Viewer.

If any of them work, you can then try changing it back to Photos if you want.

Ztruker, Jun 9, 2016
  8. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

Photos is useless, go back to WPV as above.

nigelmercier, Jun 9, 2016
  9. Rocky Win User
    I'm not the OP but I followed the directions in post # 5 and I could not find Windows Photo Viewer, all I see is

1. Photos
    2. Paint
    3. Photoshop

I have had no problems using the app just called photos, so what would I gain by using Windows photo Viewer and how would I get it?

Rocky, Jun 9, 2016
  10. See if this helps:
    Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Jun 9, 2016
  11. Rocky Win User
    Thanks. Done and taken care of.

Rocky, Jun 9, 2016
  12. RomanF Win User
    When I try to open with Photos, it says "IMG_xxxxxxx.jpg We can't open this file."
    When I try to open with Windows photo viewer it says "Windows photos viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to windows photo viewer"

Help pls.

RomanF, Jun 15, 2016
  13. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

See if XnView opens the file. It opens just about any image file.
    If you post one of the images that won't open, that might help figure out what's going on.

Slartybart, Jun 15, 2016
  14. aggitated Win User
    Hi, I wanted to first express my appreciation for your detailed explanation, and thanks to that I was able to locate the application files. Unfortunately, I was unable to select Windows Photo Viewer as my default app. I tried both ways you suggested, the first being halted by the fact that Windows Photo Viewer was not an available application (I even searched on the Windows Store, to no avail). The second method I was able to find it's associated folders, but when I opened it the only application available was my wireless printer's control panel. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, as I can still open my previously saved pictures, but I am unable to open any files I attempt to save via scan. Is there any other methods you can suggest?

aggitated, Jul 23, 2017
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10 - Similar Threads - can't open file

2. CAN'T OPEN JPG FILES IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CAN'T OPEN JPG FILES IN WINDOWS 10: I'm trying to open JPG files using the default photo viewer and it won't work. There's a pop-app message saying "file system error - 2147219196". I was able to open these files in the past in my computer and was also able to open it in my phone sent it via email. would...
  3. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file": I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one. The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some...
  4. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file": I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one. The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some...
  5. Windows 10 'We can't open this file' on most .jpg files

Windows 10 'We can't open this file' on most .jpg files: I have a number of .jpg files that I cannot open in either Photos or File Viewer Plus. These files were all scanned and saved. There are several identical files that will open, however most of them will not. I have attempted a repair/reset of Photos, as well as a couple of...
  6. Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files: I have a friend who installed the latest Windows 10 update last week, but after installation she was missing all her data. I discovered that her profile had become corrupt with the user profile set to a backup status, and each time she logged in she was using a temporary...
  7. Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file

Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file: Hello, I am hoping that someone might have experienced this issue and have a resolve for it. In Windows 10 I use the Microsoft photos to view and edit pictures, today I got this message " We can't open this file" it is jpg file …I've been using it for a couple of years now...
  8. can't open jpg file

can't open jpg file: I am not able to open a jpeg/jpg file in win 10 system which I have bought earlier while I was doing the same with the win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-jpg-file/e6289ee6-ced8-44c6-807c-cddbb70db2ec"
  9. can't open jpg files

in Windows 10 Support
    can't open jpg files: Hello i have sometimes the next problem :some of my hundrends pictures i have taken with mobile phone will not open with default windows 10 photo viewer or any third party program.All these pictures are opened correctly in the past and suddenly won't open.Appears the message...
  10. Can't open .jpg file in any of photo viewing programs

Can't open .jpg file in any of photo viewing programs: Hi! I have a Windows 10, I tried to open some .jpg photos, but I couldn't because there is always a message like this: [img] [img] I tried to change the Default Program, to convert the files, but nothing helped... If somebody recognizes the problem, please help...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I get a message - we cannot open this file - It is a jpg file.

2. jpg we cant open this file

3. when i try to open with windows photo viewer it says windows photos viewer cant open this picture because either photo viewer doesnt support this file format or you dont have the latest updates to windows photo viewer

4. we cannot open this file pic,
  5. it appears that we dont support this format,
  6. windows 10 doesnt support format for android jpeg photo in email,
  7. JPG Cant openthis file,
  8. photos in windows 10 cant open jpg,
  9. we cant open this file,
  10. Windows 10 photos cant open .Jpg,
  11. .jpg we dont support this file format,
  12. windows says it doesnt support JPEG,
  13. cant open Jpg files in Windows 10,
  14. lapotop says doesnt support file for pictures,
  15. cant open jpg files windows 10