Windows 10: We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

Discus and support We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I was doing a clean install of windows 10 using a USB and I deleted all the partitions including the system reserve one. The only drive left now is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by darkside, Jan 12, 2018.

1. darkside Win User

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

So I was doing a clean install of windows 10 using a USB and I deleted all the partitions including the system reserve one. The only drive left now is "Drive 0 Partition 1". It is set as primary.

The problem is everything I click to continue the installation, I get the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

I followed instructions from sites such as this, Fix: We couldnt create a new partition or locate an existing one - Appuals.com and I still got the same error.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help.

:)

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  2. CraigLong Win User
    CraigLong, Jan 12, 2018
  3. CraigLong Win User

Oh I can't believe it. You're welcome. The video was so straight forward and pretty easy to follow. Someone else said it helped them also. I hope the installation lasts.

CraigLong, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Have you tried deleting all the paritions and leaving the disk blank then windows should do it all

Samuria, Jan 12, 2018
  5. darkside Win User
    darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Try again, but don't use the last step "convert gpt". This should leave the drive with no partition info at all - neither as a gpt or mbr drive. The install should then be free to choose whatever is appropriate for this machine.

7. darkside Win User
    darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Are you using a USB3 stick? If you are then try a USB2. See
    error Solved - Windows 10 Forums

SoFine409, Jan 12, 2018
  9. darkside Win User
    It's USB 2 and no other devices or SD cards are plugged in.

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  10. darkside Win User
    So far, I've only seen 2 options that seem plausible.

The first is that it is possible that my laptop doesn't support OS installation via usb, therefore I'll create a bootable DVD tomorrow.

The second option that I read in a comment section somewhere was to create a Linux live CD, create a bootable partition on my hard drive with windows on it and try to install it from there.

I saw something else about using GRUB to fool the bios into thinking the USB was a DVD (don't quite remember that one).

I'll try these tomorrow. If they all fail then it's time for a new laptop

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  11. What motherboard, hard drive, and AHCI/RAID configuration are you using?

When you are at the "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." screen:
    1. Press SHIFT-F10 to open a command prompt.
    2. Run "copy \Windows\Panther\*.* c:" to copy the log files to the USB drive. I'm not sure if C: will always be your USB drive.
    3. Open the setupact.log file in another computer and look towards the end of the file to see if there's anything that points to the error (or post the file here so we can look at it).

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jan 12, 2018
  12. darkside Win User
    I should add though that the reason I'm doing a clean install was because I was getting a looping GSOD with the error "system service exception not handled". When the laptop restarted, it did the automatic repair but when it finished "diagnosing your pc", I then got a BSOD saying "system service exception".
    I was reading online that this bug check error had something to do with graphics drivers being corrupted.

I found this strange because I haven't updated my graphics driver for a while now because everytime I do, something breaks. I've also haven't installed any new software since September 2017. However, since I've gotten holiday from school, I've been watching movies and TV series for hours and hours each day for weeks now. I wonder if that had something to do with the bug check. Regardless, I decided to do a clean install because all of my files are backed up anyways.

Also, I was on the insider build 17063.

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  13. darkside Win User

I'll do this tomorrow as I don't have another computer right now

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  14. darkside Win User
    I'll do this tomorrow as I don't have another computer right now

darkside, Jan 12, 2018
  15. darkside Win User
Thema:

1. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. - Similar Threads - couldn't create partition

2. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Windows was installed on the SSD prior to a new motherboard installation, however when it came time to boot the system, it stated windows was no where to be found. Shocking. So USB media installation was applied. Started the process and nope, errors all over, cant select any...
  3. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Windows was installed on the SSD prior to a new motherboard installation, however when it came time to boot the system, it stated windows was no where to be found. Shocking. So USB media installation was applied. Started the process and nope, errors all over, cant select any...
  4. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error: I just removed an old HDD from a laptop and put in an empty 120GB SSD wanted a full, clean install. Using the setup media I had handy on a USB, I tried to boot using the USB and install to the SSD, but I always get the error: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an...
  6. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Dear Microsoft, Recently, I was trying to install Windows on my Laptop PC. I tried to install, but this is the error I got: We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. I tried to fix it so many times, but it didn't work. It is an Acer laptop, model...
  7. we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: [ATTACH] Hello to everyone. I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the second partition of the drive 1,but as u can see below,I can't because that error. On the disk 1 partition 1 there is another installation of Windows 10. The whole disk is formatted with the NTFS fs and...
  8. Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!

Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!: I downloaded Windows 10 May 2019 update from Microsoft on May 24.. Used the Media Creation Tool to create installation media (USB drive). I used DISKPART to clean drive and put it in “uninitialized state”. Regardless of attempts to do clean install on either HD or SSD,...
  9. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one": So I'm trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a friend's laptop from a USB stick and it's giving me this error, no matter what I do. I've tried setting the partition as active, I don't have anything else plugged in, and I've unplugged and replugged the device. No dice. Help!...
  10. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error: When I try to do a clean install of Win10 Home 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron N5010 (a little over 4 years old) using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen and when I select the Drive 0 Unallocated Space I get "We couldn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we couldnt create a new partition or locate an existing one see the setup log files