Windows 10: We tried using Windows 10 for real work

Discus and support We tried using Windows 10 for real work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the HORRORS Better, worse, prettier or uglier? Read more at The Register: We tried using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Indianatone, Jul 7, 2015.

1. We tried using Windows 10 for real work

Indianatone, Jul 7, 2015

2. LG scanner mouse wont scan since Windows 10 anniversary update

just tried to use my lg scanner mouse, not working , i have seen above requests, how long before microsoft issue fix for this problem, now december, we were led to believe windows 10 was the real deal, and yet a simple thing like this dosent work !!!.

greyhound1racing, Jul 7, 2015
  3. Number Pad on Keyboard not working since last update of Windows 10

The number pad on my keyboard stopped working after the last Windows 10 update. I use it all the time and it is really frustrating that it has been disabled. I've tried another keyboard on my desktop at work, and the problem continues. Also, my desktop
    at home is experiencing the same difficulty.

Has anyone figured out a work-around. It is a real pain to have to use the numbers above the letters .. makes me feel like we're back to before we had keyboards and were using typewriters!!!

MartyLewis69, Jul 7, 2015
  4. ixian Win User

We tried using Windows 10 for real work

Once you get past the de rigor Register snark - which they have turned up to 11 - a lot of their complaints seem pretty valid to me, frankly. There's a lot to like about Windows 10 but "chaotic design" is actually a charitable way of putting the current state of the UI.

ixian, Jul 7, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    The funny thing is, nowhere in the article does he mention anything related to "trying to use it for work".

He clearly seems knowledgeable about a lot of things... but he sounds suspiciously like a certain user who has recently written almost word for word criticisms on the board.

His complaints are basically... "it's buggy", well yeah, it's still pre-release software. And please spare me the "It should be more stable at this stage" arguments because that's based on old software development methodologies.

His other complaints are "it's confusing". Yes, and it will continue to be confusing, because it's an OS in transition. Just the way it's going to be until the transition is complete.

And finally his last complaint is "I hate Universal apps", so don't use them, or don't upgrade.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  6. ixian Win User
    To be fair - not that I am trying to defend the Register, of all blogs - "work" is an amorphous concept these days....if your work is writing snarky articles for tech blogs and tweeting about it then he kind of did cover his work in it *Smile

I'm a software developer (not for Microsoft), and spent years in Agile development though recently have moved on to other lean approaches that don't inevitably degrade in to "we'll release it and figure it out as we go along" which is what almost every Agile project ever becomes (Agile is one of those methodologies that sounds perfect and developers love the concept of but ultimately turns in to a game of "you're doing it wrong" when it doesn't work).

So I do get where they are up to, at the same he's not wrong in noticing there is an awful lot of design that is scattered and like it or not Microsoft is going to make their first big impression on the 29th, which is 3 weeks away.

Here's hoping the build coming this week pulls a lot of it together *Smile

ixian, Jul 7, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Agile is not a silver bullet by any means, but it is a totally different way of developing.

In years gone by, Microsoft would have all features planned out and set in stone before the first beta was released. They modified this somewhat in the Vista/7 era to do iterations of mini waterfalls, which were largely still big design up front.

In this release, they're making the customers stakeholders in Agile terminology. They do a sprint, or a few, then give it to us and say "What do you think"? and if there is a bad reaction, they may back things out, or change them. We're seeing design as it evolves rather than when it's too late to make any changes... and some people can't wrap their head around that, and insist on treating it like legacy development processes.

To those people, you should have an alpha, beta, gamma (RC) and final version.. the beta should be buggy, but feature complete, and the gamma should be essentially finished with maybe some small bugs. That's just not how it works anymore.

Some people have a bad taste in their mouth about Agile, largely because those practicing it don't really do it right. Or rather, don't do it in a way that can be successful (right and wrong are very subjective). We'll see if this process creates a better product.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  8. groze Win User

When should it be stable, never?

groze, Jul 7, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Where exactly do you get that from? If it was stable, it would be released.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  10. unifex Win User
    Interesting that the article discusses the GUI and entertainment, but never mentions any actual work experience *Biggrin. At the same time, the GUI complaints are quite valid.

My biggest complaint is not even that though - after a clean install of 10162, the OS required a Microsoft account to proceed with Insider builds, but once I gave the email and password, it automatically attempted to replace my local login with the login using the Microsoft account, which I absolutely refuse to do - there is no way I'm going to login into my home PC with any kind of internet-related account!

unifex, Jul 7, 2015
  11. ixian Win User
    You and I could probably have an interesting conversation on Agile, but that's a different topic.

I don't disagree with the Windows approach - but I don't think that is the problem that article is really pointing out, or that I have seen myself. The design right now is less of an evolution then 10-20 different evolutions', happening at the same time and not related to one other, seemingly. It makes a a jarring experience sometimes.

ixian, Jul 7, 2015
  12. The earlier previews also did that if you logged in online (e.g. to give feedback).

lehnerus2000, Jul 7, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Actually for many it's stable right now(build 10162). And when the RTM comes out this week it's going to be very stable. Keep in mind that no OS has zero bugs/issues so it's always a work in progress.

And all of this is subject to how each person is using the OS and how they install it on their PC.
    Your millage may vary!

BunnyJ, Jul 7, 2015
  14. ixian Win User
    Why? When, after you log in, you will then proceed to log in to any manner of internet related accounts, including quite possibly that one?

You can log in with it without an internet connection. You can also set up alternate login schemes other than your password that are tied strictly to the local machine, such as a pin (which is what they recommend, actually) or a biometric device. The latter are getting to be more common now that fingerprint readers don't completely suck on devices not made by Apple. For example the one with my Lenovo works quite well.

So if your concern is "I don't like the idea of sending my account credentials, encrypted or not, over the internet every time I log in" then lucky day, you don't need to. Though, as I mentioned, chances are in order to really do anything these days you are probably doing that with a dozen or more accounts already once logged in anyway.

ixian, Jul 7, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think the writer of that article should be prosecuted under the "Trades description act".

The title was using W10 for Real Work -- how to set it up etc is just IRRELEVANT. As far as people USING W10 for work would be concerned is that on say a Monday Morning they just logon to their machines and start work. Now the experience of THOSE users would be important. What were they doing, what worked and what didn't for example.

The fact that I.T services or whatever spent 180 hours without sleep (or however long it took) to get those machines up and running is of NO CONSEQUENCE as far as the purpose of that article which is to give USERS experiences of using W10 for work.

Some of these so called journalistic articles are really total rubbish -- also bear in mind that W10 is still in TEST mode and shouldn't (Ms's advice not mine) be used yet in full productive work.

BTW you can switch between Ms and Local accounts at will. Just get your next insider build via an ms account. You can keep using Local accounts just fine. You can switch at any time between the two. Or at least you can on build 10162 so you don't need an Ms account at all if you don't want insider builds which I'm sure an Office LAN wont want. It will control updates centrally.

Note also that LAN networking currently seems to have problems with SHARES when you use an Ms account. Other computers in the network just don't get seen.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 7, 2015
Thema:

1. We tried using Windows 10 for real work - Similar Threads - tried using real

2. Real-Time protection is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Real-Time protection is not working: I have disabled windows real-time protection then when i tried to turn it on again it was disabled and it tell me that i have another anti virus but i don't...
  3. Real-Time protection is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Real-Time protection is not working: I have disabled windows real-time protection then when i tried to turn it on again it was disabled and it tell me that i have another anti virus but i don't...
  4. Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?: I have heard many rumors indicating that Microsoft is working on Windows 12. Here's some proof:This is a leak from the Ignite event of 2022. This has become very popular.There are several expectations for it by seeing how Windows 11 is such a failure!I also run Windows 11...
  5. Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?: I have heard many rumors indicating that Microsoft is working on Windows 12. Here's some proof:This is a leak from the Ignite event of 2022. This has become very popular.There are several expectations for it by seeing how Windows 11 is such a failure!I also run Windows 11...
  6. Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?

7. Is it real that Microsoft is working on Windows 12?

8. We are trying to undo changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We are trying to undo changes: I was updating my hp laptop and it was taking a while I decided to leave it and check on it the next morning. When I checked on it the next morning about 9 hours later it was still only at 65% done so I pressed the windows + shift + n and it went to the screen saying we are...
  9. Is there any real help with getting Flight Simulator X working on Windows 10, I have tried...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there any real help with getting Flight Simulator X working on Windows 10, I have tried...: My FS will not allow the Product Key to be recognized. It allows system to run as demo only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-real-help-with-getting-flight/c39c0445-01e8-41a9-bc5b-7cd9f4373cfa"
  10. cannot use real VNC viewer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot use real VNC viewer: It happened after the windows 10 update, currently I cannot use real VNC viewer. I used Device manager to add network adapter but with no effect. Microsoft KM-TEST loopback adapter....