Windows 10: Weather and News App Crash when first launched

Discus and support Weather and News App Crash when first launched in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I always have to open these apps twice because they crash when I first try to open them. I've tried running wsreset but it keeps happening. any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbeasto, Nov 9, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

Weather and News App Crash when first launched

I always have to open these apps twice because they crash when I first try to open them.

I've tried running wsreset but it keeps happening.

any ideas?

Thanks

:)

elbeasto, Nov 9, 2015

2. News and Weather Apps crashing randomly when started

Hello.

In Windows 10, with the latest updates, Metro apps : Weather and News are crashing randomly. In fact, when you click on the tile to open News or Weather from the Start menu or Taskbar, the app runs for a second then just closes. When you launch the app a
    second time, it's ok.

After doing some troubleshooting, it appears that sometimes, the News and Weather apps' processes are not terminated when the apps are being closed by the user.

By design, a metro app cannot be launched twice at the same time. As the "old" process is not killed, the Metro app tries to create a new process with the same name, and the application crash. Then the two processes are automatically killed,
    allowing the app to open normally.

I've reinstalled Windows twice, but the same issue occurs again and again.

Is there a way to report this bug to Microsoft ? Do you have the same issue ?

Thanks.

Sorry for my bad english...

Raleur barbu, Nov 9, 2015
  3. Ali-SM Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update - News and Weather App crash instantly after launch

Hi Gemzon Mar,

Thank you for your reply, my problem is not with Windows Store, it's working fine

My problem is News and Weather Apps i can't open them it crash after launch,

But i also did your solution but didn't help either

Ali-SM, Nov 9, 2015
  4. Weather and News App Crash when first launched

Hello,

I have the same problem too. In my case it's when I wake the computer from sleep, the first launch of Weather or News crash the app.

I've reinstalled Windows 3 times because of this issue. Windows 10 makes me think everytime there is Something wrong with MY PC or my software, but it's not the case.

So don't worry and just wait. Maybe Microsoft will release a patch, one day...

Reinstallator, Nov 9, 2015
  5. elbeasto Win User
    Yes, I think it's another Win 10 thing that we just have to live with.

elbeasto, Nov 9, 2015
  6. Geneo Win User
    Why should we have to live with it!

Geneo, Nov 11, 2015
  7. Hello,

After a little further investigation, it appears that sometimes, the processes "Microsoft.Msn.News.exe" and "Microsoft.Msn.Weather.exe" are not terminated when the Metro Apps "News" and "Weather" are closed by the user.

As a consequence, when the apps are re-opened, I think that the "old" process must be terminated by Windows, but they're not terminated gently, causing an APPCRASH.

You can download a tool like System Explorer to see what happens with the processes. Ending manually "Microsoft.Msn.News.exe" and "Microsoft.Msn.Weather.exe" after the apps are closed if the processes remain in Task manager, causes the application not to crash next time.

Reinstallator, Nov 11, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Well folks mine works just fine......no crash....on either one. Just tried them to re-check.

OldMike65, Nov 11, 2015
  9. dheck1961 Win User
    Seems to be happening with the Money app, too. First run closes, second stays up. Seeing this on two different machines and it seems to have just started recently for me...maybe in the last week or so

dheck1961, Nov 11, 2015
  10. jerrypc1 Win User
    Just started happening with me also within the last 2 weeks with me it's weather and news first time crash second time stays on all the other tiles are okay.

jerrypc1, Nov 11, 2015
  11. elbeasto Win User
    Seems to be random for me, sometimes they don't crash, sometimes they do...

elbeasto, Nov 11, 2015
  12. I've came across a homemade "fix"...

Simply create a batch file with the following content and save it with the name you want (example : CloseApps.bat).

taskkill /f /im Microsoft.Msn.News.exe
    taskkill /f /im Microsoft.Msn.Weather.exe

Then, create a Scheduled task, to be executed when the Event ID 131 is registered (in my case, the issue occurs only after I wake my computer from sleep and Event ID 131 is the Windows Event registered everytime my PC wakes up). You should specify to run the Batch file you've just created.

Voil , problem solved (for now)...

Reinstallator, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Weather and News App Crash when first launched - Similar Threads - Weather News App

2. apps/ games crashing when launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    apps/ games crashing when launching: i have a lenovo ideapad 3. wehnever i laucnh chrome or edge it crashes. there is no malware in my computer. any idea how to fix this? computer details: Lenovo ideapad 3, windows 11 core I3 10th gen, 8gb ram...
  3. apps/ games crashing when launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    apps/ games crashing when launching: i have a lenovo ideapad 3. wehnever i laucnh chrome or edge it crashes. there is no malware in my computer. any idea how to fix this? computer details: Lenovo ideapad 3, windows 11 core I3 10th gen, 8gb ram...
  4. Taskbar News And Weather

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar News And Weather: Why is the News and Weather available only when the taskbar is at the bottom? I prefer my taskbar being at the top of the screen but it isn't available when set there....
  5. Weather and news bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weather and news bar: How to change this stupid °F to °C in new weather and news bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weather-and-news-bar/3b465c5a-058e-4e25-99d1-a44d345e47b2
  6. News and interests "Weather" app megathread.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    News and interests "Weather" app megathread.: Love it or hate it the News and Interests app is here and you have to deal with it. And as annoying as the app may be for some of you it's not as annoying as 100 posts ranting about it and thus, this megathread was born. How do I disable it? Right click -> News and...
  7. News and Weather Function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    News and Weather Function: How do I get the news and weather function on my PC. I have kept checking for updates, and going into taskbar settings and could not figure out how to. submitted by /u/uno_arjuno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nc853f/news_and_weather_function/
  8. Weather App Crashes

Weather App Crashes: When I go to the maps in the MS Weather App I can not slide the map to show a different locations. Every time the app will crash. I thought it might be happening because my computer is running the Insider Fast Builds. I found out that it crashes on all my devices except for...
  9. Weather App Crashes

Weather App Crashes: When I go to the maps in the MS Weather App I can not slide the map to show a different locations. Every time the app will crash. I thought it might be happening because my computer is running the Insider Fast Builds. I found out that it crashes on all my devices except for...
  10. Being prompted to get the News App when I launch the weather App?

Being prompted to get the News App when I launch the weather App?: Just launched the weather app and got this. [img] Do we now get adds here too? To be honest, it may be a side effect or using Power Shell to uninstall the News App, Not Shure? 113424