Windows 10: Web design for Real beginners - Ms Expression Web 4 or Wordpress

Discus and support Web design for Real beginners - Ms Expression Web 4 or Wordpress in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I'm a REAL BEGINNER at this stuff - not even 101 - probably 001 !!!!- and doing it just for fun currently - although I do Vinyl Record... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Web design for Real beginners - Ms Expression Web 4 or Wordpress

Hi there

I'm a REAL BEGINNER at this stuff - not even 101 - probably 001 !!!!- and doing it just for fun currently - although I do Vinyl Record cutting for people so eventually I'll want a business and shopping basket site. - Much later though after I've learned a bit more.

Should I start locally (i.e not upload until tested) with Ms web expression 4 or free bit of Wordpress.
    Note I'm a real BEGINNER at this but do know what php is and have no problem with things like servers etc.

I've got a slew of VM's running so no problem if I hose it all up and start again.

I know there's a zillion and one Google links but it's often better to get info from people who've started out with the same knowledge as me for creating this stuff --i.e ZERO !!!!

Thanks to anybody who replies

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017
  2. Vijay B Win User

Expression Web 4

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10. The issue you have posted would be better suited in MSDN Community.

Msdn forums - Expression

Vijay B, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Expression Web 4

Ok thanks

JeremyMarks6, Feb 1, 2017
  4. bra10n Win User

OT,

Jimbo, YOU cut vinyl? As in master, pressing etc...

bra10n, Feb 1, 2017
  5. z3r010 Win User
    If you are having a cart then you are better using an off the shelf solution as securing scripts against hacking attempts is a minefield and best handled by experts.

z3r010, Feb 1, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @bra10n
    I've been doing that for a LONG time -- I've got old Vinyl cutting hardware (still needs XP to run -- so on a VM) - I often do things like copying tracks for people from CD's to Vinyl / bespoke stuff etc.

Until recently the most difficult bit was in sourcing the Blanks !!!! now these seem to be much more readily available.

People also like 45's / LP's with custom labels / photos on them and sleeve design (just started doing that).

I'm semi retired from Engineering these days so between gigs I do this and mess around a bit with Stock day trading -- keeps me busy.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @z3r010

that's good advice -- however long before I get to that stage I need some practice in just having a go with web design -- then at least I can see where loopholes are and other weaknesses of running / attempting to run an online business.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017
  8. z3r010 Win User

TBH I'd go for something like Wordpress+Magento - there would be a good learning curve and more than enough stuff for you to play with without trying to reinvent the wheel, once you have seen what you can do with mature software then you could maybe look at doing something yourself.

z3r010, Feb 1, 2017
  9. Well I personally think the best way to learn Web Design / Development is to start at the foundation, HTML. Start there then incorporate CSS, then Javascript. Should start by building a strong foundation, using HTML not as visual language but rather using it yo define the structure of the page and the content, then using CSS to create the visuals. Well that is at least what we try to do. You are going to need to have a understanding of HTML even before you attempt server-side programming.

In fact head on over to Sitepoint.com, that community is dedicated to all aspects of Web Design / Development. Plus resources and books for new comers like yourself.

This could help you get started: (Old but still relevant as the basics haven't changed.)
    Learn HTML and CSS: An Absolute Beginner's Guide

logicearth, Feb 4, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Feb 4, 2017
  11. I agree with @logicearth. Another page you should visit is W3Schools.

That is if you are really serious about learning anything regarding web design. You won't get far without understanding the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Once you understand the basics, you can go for other languages, which are essentially just a more structured and intelligent way of managing content on the server side and converting your code to something that a Web Browser can parse for display.

slicendice, Feb 4, 2017
  12. bbinnard Win User
    I'd say the answer depends on how you value your time. Expression Web 4 provides a lot more flexibility with designing web pages that does WordPress, but the price you pay for this is a lot more time required to learn a lot more about HTML, CSS, different browser capabilities, HTML publishing, etc. WordPress provides less overall flexibility, but you can get a working website up a lot faster, and maintain it easier, with WordPress.

I recently decided to add a blog to my site and opted for WordPress to do that. My site (Home) is old, originally developed with FrontPage, and then every version of Expression Web, and I just didn't want to take the time to do the blog in Expression Web. I'm convinced I made the right decision.

Also, as was stated above, if you are going to do monetary transactions on your site you really should use a 3rd party site development tool to ensure privacy and hacking resistance.

bbinnard, Feb 4, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

A few years ago, actually several years ago, with the advent of the 64-bit version of Microsoft Office, I couldn't keep the older FrontPage at the same time so I went looking and settled on Expression Web. At the time it seemed WordPress was aimed more at writing Blogs, didn't need that. When I started with FrontPage 'purists' were using Notepad to write HTML pages.

If you go with WordPress be sure to get the latest, some security issues have arisen lately.
    WordPress 4.7.2 Security Release

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
  14. Gareth New Member
    I am also a beginner and I still don't know much so I need your advice. So about a few days ago I did a website redesign, check it out: http://under-the-open-sky.com

Gareth, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Web design for Real beginners - Ms Expression Web 4 or Wordpress - Similar Threads - Web design Real

2. Expression Web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expression Web: My ISP recently upgraded my system with a new cable modem and 2GB eero router. Now when I try tp publish via FTP I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1 xx my local PC's IP only 149.76.203.106 500 which is my ISP address according to an Internet query of...
  3. Expression Web

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expression Web: My ISP recently upgraded my system with a new cable modem and 2GB eero router. Now when I try tp publish via FTP I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1 xx my local PC's IP only 149.76.203.106 500 which is my ISP address according to an Internet query of...
  4. Expression Web 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expression Web 4: Hi I have a very small amount of experience with Expression 4. I have built a few very basic websites.Opening up Expression Web 4 after not touching my site for several years I have just created a new page for my business. All seems ok I managed to publish to the FTP...
  5. Expression Web 4

Expression Web 4: Hi I have a very small amount of experience with Expression 4. I have built a few very basic websites.Opening up Expression Web 4 after not touching my site for several years I have just created a new page for my business. All seems ok I managed to publish to the FTP...
  6. line spacing in Microsoft Expression Web 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    line spacing in Microsoft Expression Web 4: I have searched everywhere for a box in Expression Web 4 regarding - LINE SPACING'. I simply want to change from 1. to 1,5 or 2.0 between lines of text on a web page. There seems to be nothing thgere on what I thought was a basic function of any text editor. All answers so...
  7. line spacing in Microsoft Expression Web 4

line spacing in Microsoft Expression Web 4: I have searched everywhere for a box in Expression Web 4 regarding - LINE SPACING'. I simply want to change from 1. to 1,5 or 2.0 between lines of text on a web page. There seems to be nothing thgere on what I thought was a basic function of any text editor. All answers so...
  8. Expression Web 4 won't launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Expression Web 4 won't launch: I was using Expressions Web 4 yesterday, today when I try to launch it the splash screen comes up, then drops away but the program never launches. I un-installed it and then re-installed it. Same issue. If I try to "run as administrator" the program comes up. But it is a...
  9. web expression 4 just downloaded??

web expression 4 just downloaded??: where is web expression 4 stored on the left sidebar list of programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-expression-4-just-downloaded/743c734f-3415-4dc6-ad7f-b3340650e7a1
  10. expression web

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    expression web: I have had a web site "dogandcat.ca" for many years. Originally frontpage it was transferred to expression web in 2015. All is well on all pages but one - tab "Christmas". This contains the Christmas letters (.pdf) we have sent out over the years - added to yearly. The (links...