Windows 10: Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning

Discus and support Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; September 15th, 2016, some windows updates were applied to several of my PCs. I believe it is this one: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by redbeard914, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning

September 15th, 2016, some windows updates were applied to several of my PCs. I believe it is this one: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866), causing the problem.

I use the "Favorites Bar" for a series of high use Web Links. After the update, every time I use one of the web links, I get a security warning.

Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning [​IMG]

I checked and .URL is an assigned file type, assigned to "Internet Browser". Changing the web browser does not fix the issue.

I found a tutorial for fixing a similar error for .LNK files, but that fix does not work.

Disable "Open File - Security Warning" Message

Any ideas?

:)

redbeard914, Sep 18, 2016

2. "Links" Button on task bar in Windows 10

Your favorites in internet explorer has the folder Favorites bar or links. That is the tool bar you are putting on task bar.

Go to your C\Users\YOUR NAME\Favorites\Favorites Bar, which is Links.

I actually make a tool bar on my task bar for favorites and not the Links or favorites bar because when you save web pages to favorites it is not in the links folder unless you manually choose it. By using the Favorites as a tool bar, you get the whole folder.

Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning [​IMG]

seahawks65, Sep 18, 2016
  3. "Links" Button on task bar in Windows 10

And while using internet explorer, turn on MENU BAR. then while on a web page and you want to save it click on the favorites tab and save as favorite. it will go into the favorite folder, unless you select to save it into the LINKS or FAV BAR location.

seahawks65, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Try3 Win User

Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3199375 is a hotfix for Windows 7 & 8. It provides a link to a new cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1511. There is no information about Windows 10 version 1607 [the anniversary update] and no new cumulative update has been issued for this version.

Denis

5. It says that the 1607 update will fix this, but that update was applied and the problem still occurs.

redbeard914, Oct 25, 2016
  6. Try3 Win User
    Redbeard,

There is no mention of version 1607. There is no fix for version 1607. The Cumulative update mentioned is only for version 1511.

Denis

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning

1. Web Links in favorites bar now generating security warning - Similar Threads - Web Links favorites

2. Favorites Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites Bar: As of today, 11/20/2020, the area for my favorites has shrunk to where I can't read info which I need. The area of favorites is now shorter and narrower. The area does not allow me to scroll horizontal, so my info is unavailable....
  3. Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites: When I first used the new Edge (Chrome??) I imported my bookmarks and bookmarks tool bar from Firerfox and got lost in the terminology of Edge. I am sure I don't understand the difference between 'Favorites', 'Favorites Bar' and 'Other Favorites'. Each seems to contain the...
  4. Whiteboard for web generates error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whiteboard for web generates error: Dear all I have a recurring Teams meeting setup in the past. Now if I access the meeting link and want to open Whiteboard for web within Teams I get this error; An error occurred while processing your request We could not find the content requested I suppose that means...
  5. My husbands favorite bar has my favorite bar on it now. What happened?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My husbands favorite bar has my favorite bar on it now. What happened?: Two mornings ago, I went on my computer and my husbands favorites bar was across the top. Mine was gone. Now mine are back, but my husbands computer favorites are mine. Help....
  6. favorites bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    favorites bar: how to sort titles in favorites and favorites bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/favorites-bar/55fbe4e0-e111-44a2-9301-9900913851c0
  7. favorite Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    favorite Bar: how do I delete items listed on my favorite bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/favorite-bar/30425629-414b-4cb0-be0a-427573c39f78
  8. Favorites bar

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites bar: Hi folks. My Favorites bar has gone. Not talking about Bookmarks but Favorites. I'm using Google Chrome and the bar was there last night but has now disappeared. Any thoughts? In the meantime I've tried to recall as many favorites as possible and put them into Bookmarks but...
  9. Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar: I am presently using IE 11 and thinking about switching to another browser. I am looking for a browser that has the above titles shown on the home page in the same way as IE 11. Are there any available? 71224
  10. Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.: I installed a browser extension that allows me to save the url of the page I am viewing as a shortcut file on my computer in two clicks. It's very handy - or so I thought. Whenever I double-click the resulting shortcut on my computer, I get the following warning: [img]...