Windows 10: Web timeouts with DNS service enabled

Discus and support Web timeouts with DNS service enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I have the DNS service set as Auto then in Firefox and Edge I often (but not always) get errors saying "Server at xxxxx is taking too long to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gnome, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Gnome Win User

Web timeouts with DNS service enabled

If I have the DNS service set as Auto then in Firefox and Edge I often (but not always) get errors saying "Server at xxxxx is taking too long to respond". The internet does always seem slower though. But if I disable the DNS service then everything seems fine.

Unfortunately I want to enable DNS so that I can use a Homegroup for sharing a printer (unless there is an alternative way of doing this). I've tried flushing the DNS cache in Firefox and via ipconfig but it doesn't seem to help. I have two user accounts (both Admin) on the PC and they both have this issue so it's a machine based problem rather than user account.

Anybody else having issues like this, or any good ideas?

I've got Win10 Home 64bit (OEM install), Kaspersky 2016 (16.0.0.614), Killer Ethernet.

Thanks.

:)

Gnome, Aug 21, 2015
  2. ilyas001 Win User

can't use nslookup

hello guys

i try to learn ethical hacking but each time i try the "set type=x' in the nslookup tools i get this

> set type=mx

> google.fr

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

> google.fr

Address: 192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

i can't find any solution to this thanks

ilyas001, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Bunkei Win User
    DNS does not resolve for download.microsoft.com

I turned off Windows Firewall and ran the following commands here are the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping download.microsoft.com

Ping request could not find host download.microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup download.microsoft.com

Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: download.microsoft.com

Address: 0.0.0.0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup download.microsoft.com 208.67.222.222

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Address: 208.67.222.222

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Bunkei, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Gnome Win User

Well, I haven't fixed the problem but have found out that I don't need to!

DNS is required for Network Discovery so that other PCs can join the Homegroup. But once joined, they can install the printer and print to it without requiring DNS to be enabled on the host PC (my Win 10 desktop). So I turned on DNS, joined the Homegroup on the other PC, and then turned it off again. Then on the other PC (Win 7 32 bit) I installed the printer on the Homegroup screen and it all works fine!

Gnome, Aug 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Web timeouts with DNS service enabled - Similar Threads - Web timeouts DNS

2. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  3. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  4. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Accessing the internet on your Windows computer is a complex process, and the DNS […] This article How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. web services

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    web services: Hi, I try to send an email via printer. When I try ,a message says, "The printer could not connect to Web Services. The server might be busy or temporarily unavailable. Try again later." Just how long has the system been down, and how long before they fix it?? Any and...
  7. SQL Server service timeout error

SQL Server service timeout error: Hello, When using SQL Server 2014, in the SQL Configuration Manager, the SQL Server service is stopped. I tried to start it, but I get a timeout error: 'The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion.' Please let me know if you can solve this issue....
  8. DNS Client Service Issue

DNS Client Service Issue: Hello. After getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in many websites, I tried to fix this by restarting the DNS client service. The problem is that there are no clickable buttons in the services window, and using cmd gives an error saying that the cammand was invalid and to...
  9. DNS Client Service will not start

DNS Client Service will not start: If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was disabled and I wanted to change it to Automatic but cannot from the Services utility. So I changed the Start value to 2 in...
  10. How to enable "use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration"

How to enable "use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration": Dear, My company have lot of PC in many location, we want apply 1 setting in Windows, By default it is not enabled / not tick [img] In the Group Policy window please navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> DNS Client and open...