Windows 10: Weekly system error memory dump files

Discus and support Weekly system error memory dump files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every week (or so) I get a system error memory dump file around 800 mb in size. If I notice a drop in disk space for no reason I do a disk cleanup and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bumboola, Feb 23, 2017.

1. bumboola Win User

Weekly system error memory dump files

Every week (or so) I get a system error memory dump file around 800 mb in size. If I notice a drop in disk space for no reason I do a disk cleanup and it is there. No BSODs, no lock ups, no system lagging, in other words the computer runs perfectly.

Is something going on under the skin or is this just a normal maintenance thing that Windows 10 does?

:)

bumboola, Feb 23, 2017
  2. JWVJR Win User

System Error Memory Dump Files Won't Delete

Don't know why I didn't think of the safe mode option. That worked thank you! I had to do a Disk Cleanup on just those files about 15 times as it only deleted 4GB each time but it worked!

JWVJR, Feb 23, 2017
  3. System Error Memory Dump Files Won't Delete

Thanks for letting us know & happy to help. Good Luck

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 23, 2017
  4. Weekly system error memory dump files

Hi bumboola

Have you looked into the event viewer, likely under System heading, to see the events surrounding the dump correction. There would be a time stamp on the dump file so you should be able to locate the exact event.

Type event viewer in cortana search bar, expand windows logs, click on System. You may have to check other logs to find event.

With the event(s) I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2017
  5. bumboola Win User
    I don't see anything relating to a "dump" or something similar, I'm not even sure what time the memory dump was as I just found them when I did a cleanup. Would this show under a different name or #?

I do see that in the last week it shows 240 errors, 60% DistributedCOM #10016, 35% IOCAgent #0 and several others. This was a clean install of Windows AU so I'm not sure why I'm getting the #10016 and I'm not really sure what the #0 pertains to, I will look it up.

bumboola, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Hi.

The memory dump will be in your Windows folder on C: as a file memory.dmp. It will be date / time stamped.

I'm going to make an assumption that your system BSOD's without you knowing and then restarts. Could I suggest we change this behaviour. Then you will see the BSOD. You can take down info. To restart you will need to power down.

Press Windows Key +R, type sysdm.cpl, enter, click Advance tab, click on “Setting” in Startup and Recovery section. Remove check mark from “Automatically restart”.

To reverse follow the above and add check mark back. My opinion it should be off. Gives you the opportunity to see BSOD and take down details.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2017
  7. bumboola Win User
    I already deleted the memory dump files so nothing would show up in memory.dmp, actually even though I enabled to show hidden files the memory.dmp file doesn't show up at all in a search. I did find a minidump file which was empty.

It does not restart without my knowing, I am either actively using the computer or it is put to sleep or shut off. I did uncheck “automatically restart” for now though. I had several BSODs in a row a couple of days after I purchased the computer (early December) but it turned out that Malwarebytes was preventing me from using an external USB wifi adapter. Once I deleted mbam it worked fine and I was able to reinstall after the adapter was set up. No BSODs since then.

Thanks for your help on this.

bumboola, Feb 24, 2017
  8. Weekly system error memory dump files

No problem. When the next one occurs you will be armed to trace it down.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2017
  9. bumboola Win User
    I just wanted to add that I've gone over the event viewer again and it only shows critical errors on two occasions, several coincided with the Mbam problem described above on the same night (I saw the BSODS each and every time) and two coincided with a day that we had several power outages.

Can regular errors even cause BSODs? I'm near certain I have not had any BSODs (except for these two occasions) but I'll leave the "automatically restart" off and see what happens. Should I leave it set on "automatic memory dump" as well?

Thanks again.

bumboola, Feb 25, 2017
  10. You want the dumps, please disable the Overwrite any existing file.

Run of the mill issues do not cause BSOD's but I'm sure some do. The system stops to prevent corruption.

Should you get some dumps and BSOD's there is an excellent section within the forum that deals with BSOD's.

Of course if you get to see the BSOD screen you may even be able to take some educated stabs at cause.

Regarding power, my recommendation is to buy a UPS. You need one appropriately sized for your environment but it will save you some severe headaches and potential hard dollars fixing your computer.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Weekly system error memory dump files

1. Weekly system error memory dump files - Similar Threads - Weekly system error

2. Memory Dump File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Dump File: My laptop blue screens about once every week and it is always a really quick blue screen flash and then restart so I don't have a chance to read the error message. I can never find my dumpfile after the crash. I have reinstalled windows on my computer and set it to automatic...
  3. Memory Dump File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Dump File: My laptop blue screens about once every week and it is always a really quick blue screen flash and then restart so I don't have a chance to read the error message. I can never find my dumpfile after the crash. I have reinstalled windows on my computer and set it to automatic...
  4. Help with memory dump file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with memory dump file: I recently swaped to a Ryzen 5 5600x and a B450 MOBO. I've been getting "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" errors since. I managed to get a MEMORY.dmp file and I would like some help understanding it. Here is the link https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApiL3pED6bMyiAOa-kg1ZW7bDWTP?e=uhzwWg...
  5. Is it safe to delete System Minidump files or System memory dump files in Disk Cleanup in...

Is it safe to delete System Minidump files or System memory dump files in Disk Cleanup in...: I'm using Disk Cleanup every month to get my Windows 10 laptop running at it's best. I had an error screen 2 days ago and these files popped up on Disk Cleanup. I heard that it's safe to delete everything that's displayed on Disk Cleanup but except the Downloads folder but is...
  6. Memory dump

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Memory dump: Does anyone have an idea what this means The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80f1d427218). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  7. Debugging a hanging system with no memory dump

Debugging a hanging system with no memory dump: Hi, I'm having troubles with my Windows 10 laptop freezing when it comes out of sleep mode. I get the login screen and can move the mouse but I cannot click any buttons or type into the login box. The time also remains static and there are no entries for the time it was...
  8. Why are there "System error memory dump files" in Disk Clean-up?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why are there "System error memory dump files" in Disk Clean-up?: I am running Windows 10 Pro. My system is running perfectly. There are zero "Event viewer" errors on every restart. I have never had a BSOD and everything works perfectly.........but, on every other restart I am seeing "System error memory dump files" in the Disk Clean-up...
  9. Disc Clean-up doesn't delete System error memory dump files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disc Clean-up doesn't delete System error memory dump files: Recently I've noticed that there's a lot less of free space on my C drive so I've decided to run a regular Disc Clean-up. When I ran it as an administrator I've noticed that "System error memory dump files" takes up around 32GBs which shocked me. Since these files don't mean...
  10. Mysterious "memory dump" files appearing, but system seems okay...

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious "memory dump" files appearing, but system seems okay...: Hi guys, I typically run CCleaner every couple of days, and aside from the usual browser junk files, it doesn't come across much. However since the last bunch of Windows 10 updates (I'm currently on 1607 Build 14393.351) I'm noticing that CCleaner is coming across...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk cleanup is it okay to delete system error memory dump files yahoo