Windows 10: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of content, such as photos, music, and video on different kinds of media, such as drives, CDs, DVDs, cameras, and phones. For example, you can use AutoPlay to select an app that will automatically open photos on a removable drive when you plug it into your PC. With AutoPlay, you don't have to open the same app or reselect preferences every time you plug in a certain device.

Once you have AutoPlay set how you want, you may want to backup your settings to be able to quickly restore your settings as needed to any account on any Windows 10 PC.

This tutorial will show you how to backup your AutoPlay settings and restore as needed to any account on any Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: AutoPlay settings in Windows 10

Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup AutoPlay Settings using a BAT file
    1. switch user to the user account you want to backup its AutoPlay settings.

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Backup_AutoPlay_settings.bat

Download

*note Contents of .bat file for reference:

Code:
    3. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

4. Unblock the .bat file.

5. Run the .bat file.

6. A AutoPlay Settings Backup folder has now been created on your desktop that contains the EventHandlersDefaultSelection.reg and UserChosenExecuteHandlers.reg files as your AutoPlay settings backup. You can move this folder to where you want to keep it saved at.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore AutoPlay Settings
    1. switch user to the user account you want to restore a backup of AutoPlay settings to.

2. Open the AutoPlay Settings Backup folder created from Option One. (see screenshot below)

3. Double click/tap on the EventHandlersDefaultSelection.reg file to merge it.

4. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. Double click/tap on the UserChosenExecuteHandlers.reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 29, 2018

2. autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Program doesn't exist for Autoplay

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to set the Autoplay settings and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control Panel.
    • Go to Control Panel and locate AutoPlay.
    • In AutoPlay settings make sure that you check Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    • Next click the Reset all defaults button. Your Autoplay settings should be reset to default.

Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 autoplay-problems-windows-10.png

• Insert USB or DVD to see if Autoplay is working.

You can also try downloading Windows Media Player 10

Download Windows Media Player 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 27, 2019
  4. AVJohnnie Win User

Autoplay promt not showing in windows 10

This suggestion did not work - the Autoplay setting is already correct (and already set as suggested). Autoplay worked perfectly in Window 8.1/Pro (64Bit/w Media Center) before the Windows 10 Pro/64Bit upgrade was applied. I'm not interested in hearing
    about doing a clean install of Windows 10 either - especially when the problem did not exist prior to installing the Windows 10 upgrade. I have reimaged (image restored) the system back to Windows 8.1 twice, then allowed it to upgrade again to Windows 10-Pro/64
    - Same result ... Autoplay for removable media & devices is killed by doing the Windows 10 upgrade...

Next suggestion please...

AVJohnnie, Oct 27, 2019
  5. PhilOwers Win User
    Windows 10 Autoplay

Have you checked the specific Autoplay settings for CDs an DVDs including the program\file associations for the different kinds of media they can hold? Windows has to know what to do with different file types, e.g. MP3s, MP4s JPGs etc.

Type 'Autoplay' into the Search Box on the Windows Task Bar and launch the Control Panel Autoplay Settings screen to check the settings thoroughly.

I also have a problem with autoplay in win 10. The DVD starts up then stops, however if I go into file explorer and then click on THIS PC the DVD starts up again and I get a message asking me what to do with the DVD.

I have tried

Follow these steps to stop and start the Plug and Play service.

• Press Windows key + R top open
      Run command

• Type services.msc and hit
      Enter

• Search for Plug and Play service. Check if it shows
      running next to it as the status.

• If yes, right click on the service and click on
      stop

• Now, again right click on it and click on
      start.

Also make sure that the AutoPlay option is
    enabled
    on your computer. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control panel.

• Double click on AutoPlay option.

• Check on the box, Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    and to no avail.

This laptop has a clean Win 10 installed but another laptop had an upgrade to win 10 and that works OK

Any Ideas

Thank

In the autoplay option from the control panel the AUTOPLAY option is enabled and all others in the list to use the default option.

Any other ideas please as I may have to clean build and start again

Thanks Phil

PhilOwers, Oct 27, 2019
  6. PhilOwers Win User
    Windows 10 Autoplay

Have you checked the specific Autoplay settings for CDs an DVDs including the program\file associations for the different kinds of media they can hold? Windows has to know what to do with different file types, e.g. MP3s, MP4s JPGs etc.

Type 'Autoplay' into the Search Box on the Windows Task Bar and launch the Control Panel Autoplay Settings screen to check the settings thoroughly.

I also have a problem with autoplay in win 10. The DVD starts up then stops, however if I go into file explorer and then click on THIS PC the DVD starts up again and I get a message asking me what to do with the DVD.

I have tried

Follow these steps to stop and start the Plug and Play service.

• Press Windows key + R top open
      Run command

• Type services.msc and hit
      Enter

• Search for Plug and Play service. Check if it shows
      running next to it as the status.

• If yes, right click on the service and click on
      stop

• Now, again right click on it and click on
      start.

Also make sure that the AutoPlay option is
    enabled
    on your computer. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control panel.

• Double click on AutoPlay option.

• Check on the box, Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    and to no avail.

This laptop has a clean Win 10 installed but another laptop had an upgrade to win 10 and that works OK

Any Ideas

Thanks

PhilOwers, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore AutoPlay

2. How to restore Autoplay ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to restore Autoplay ?: Autoplay used to work well for permanently connected drives, whose power could be turned ON and OFF for the one connected by SATA and for the other the USB connection could be toggled. Now they do not Autoplay. I have checked the configurations of Control Panel, Settings,...
  3. Autoplay settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Autoplay settings: long story short l recently restored my laptop, certain settings have reverted which is no biggie, but l burn the occasional disk and for the life of me l cannot remember where the settings for DVD/CD autoplay were as l want to stop windows from automatically trying to use...
  4. Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows: How to: Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows How to Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design. If you like, you can backup your font...
  5. Backup and Restore Maps app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Maps app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Maps app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Maps app Settings in Windows 10 The Windows Maps app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice...
  6. Backup and Restore Photos app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Photos app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Photos app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Photos app Settings in Windows 10 The Microsoft Photos app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This app lets you view and edit your photos and...
  7. Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 The MSN News app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This app lets you see the top stories of the day and breaking news...
  8. Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10 The MSN Weather app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. The app lets you get the latest weather conditions, and...
  9. Backup and Restore Security and Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Security and Maintenance Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Security and Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Security and Maintenance Settings for Messages in Windows 10 By default, Windows will automatically check for security and maintenance problems and send you a message...
  10. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of the content of your folders to how you like. This tutorial will show you how...