Windows 10: Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports.

Discus and support Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, if you are running 1511 now, I'd be struggling to imagine why you would receive 1607, when the current build is the next one- the Creator's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hbenthow, Jun 1, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports.

It might be because I have the "defer feature upgrades" option in Windows Update checked.

EDIT: Something weird just happened. I double-clicked a photo on my desktop (which should have opened it in Windows' built-in Photos app, and got the message "The app didn't start". I then tried to open the Photos app manually by searching for it and opening it, but it just opens for a split second then closes. Could this be because of the update that's downloading, or is it from something else?

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

Well, defer feature upgrades simplistically should stop an upgrade for a considerable period - which it has- and I have it set myself to delay the CU. But I read somewhere that after so many months you'd be prompted or some such... can you post a screenshot of what is downloading - presumably Settings, Windows Update?

No idea why Photos isn't working. Should be completely unrelated to a download.

If you do successfully upgrade to 1607, and there isn't a problem with an older BIOS, your Photos problem may well be resolved.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  3. hbenthow Win User
    Here it is:

Attachment 138092

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I would make sure you have a disk image of your current system before the upgrade actually starts.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + large enough external disk (e.g. up to 2x what is to be backed up)
    Option Backup, Windows Backup

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    I created a full Macrium system image backup about three hours ago.

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Spectrum Win User
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your computer is attempting to upgrade to 1607 but is rolling back at some point during the upgrade. If this is the case, please watch it while it attempts an upgrade and write down the result and extend codes.

We will also want to see the upgrade logs, Microsoft has created a great document on troubleshooting Windows 10 upgrade errors that specifies where the log files are located. Please post them here, along with where they were located.

Spectrum, Jun 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Assuming this may be a repeat of what you initially posted- an update failing- please post a screenshot of your Disk Management:
    Windows key + X, click Disk Management

Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  9. hbenthow Win User
    I don't think that that is happening. Where did you get the impression that it was rolling back?
    I might have to look into that more later. Right now, the instructions in that document are confusing me (and I don't want to risk messing up the current update process by attempting to do what's in them). Is there some dedicated directory that I can search for the logs?

Attachment 138094

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    That looks clean - legacy BIOS, plenty of room on C:

One thing to check- make sure you have, say, at least 700Mb of unallocated space on your system drive. (It looks as if you may have already).

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  11. hbenthow Win User
    How would I find out?

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Easy way - a decent partition manager. (See bottom right)
    Attachment 138095

You may be able to find out using Disk Management by attempting to extend a partition (but not actually doing it). I'm not so familiar with that.

Then there are command line options.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  13. hbenthow Win User

I can't do that right now. I'd have to install a program, and I don't want to risk it with the update downloading.

I checked, and Disk Management doesn't show an option to extend the partitions. Just an option to shrink them.

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  15. hbenthow Win User
    What would you recommend as my immediate course of action, then?

By the way, I don't know if this information is accurate, but I found this by right-clicking the system drive in Disk Management:

Attachment 138096

I have AOMEI downloading. What exactly should I do after installing it (both in order to find out whether I need to expand the unallocated space, and to do so if I indeed do need to)?

hbenthow, Jun 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports. - Similar Threads - Weird behavior restart

2. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  3. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  4. Weird PowerShell behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  5. Weird PowerShell behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  6. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.: Hello all. I had a crash last night that I am fairly cirtain was BSOD but I didn't actually see the blue screen at all. The pc locked up and I just saw the pixilated inprint of the last thing on the screen. I understand this could be either drivers, bad ram or a bad gpu but I...
  7. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.: Hello all. I had a crash last night that I am fairly cirtain was BSOD but I didn't actually see the blue screen at all. The pc locked up and I just saw the pixilated inprint of the last thing on the screen. I understand this could be either drivers, bad ram or a bad gpu but I...
  8. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Weird mouse behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird mouse behavior: [ATTACH]Hello! I am experiencing some weird things with my mouse. Its kinda hard to explain so I have made a gif. Hope it will be clear by showing it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-mouse-behavior/254eb263-a502-4443-b4a0-85f873752e91
  10. Weird screen behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen behavior: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/cxcris [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fvnrx2/weird_screen_behavior/