Windows 10: Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports.

Discus and support Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Win 10 takes care of routine defrag. Shouldn't be necessary, really. The defragmentation didn't take long. Afterward, I started up AOMEI and (as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hbenthow, Jun 1, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports.

The defragmentation didn't take long. Afterward, I started up AOMEI and (as the AOMEI website recommended) selected my Windows partition, went to "Advanced", then selected "Check Partition", then ran it with the option "Check partition for errors by using chkdsk.exe" selected. (This is to make sure that there are no problems with the drive or its file system, prior to using AOMEI to alter partitions.)

It ran a quick scan of the partition, and unfortunately found some errors.
    Here are the results:
    Attachment 138456

It says that I can fix them using AOMEI, but I'm wondering whether that's thorough enough. Do you think that I should try to fix it with AOMEI, or would it be better to run a full chkdsk C: /f / /r /x command through Command Prompt? Or should I do the former, then the latter to be sure of getting any leftover errors?

Also, do you happen to know what this particular error is a symptom of? How serious could this be?

EDIT: I decided to go ahead and let AOMEI try to fix it. After selecting that option, the computer restarted and went through a CHKDSK session, at the end of which it said that it had finished checking for a and fixing errors. Once I booted back into Windows after CHKDSK finished, I checked the disc with AOMEI yet again. This time, it showed almost the same message as before, but this time with different files listed as having errors. So I again selected the option to let AOMEI try to fix it. The computer again restarted and went through a CHKDSK session, again claiming that it had finished checking for and fixing errors. I again booted into Windows and started up AOMEI. I again used it to check the partition. This time, it gave me this ominous-sounding message:

Attachment 138457

Take special notice of the part that says, "The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair."

I opened up an elevated command prompt and ran chkdsk /scan, with the following result:

This is very troubling. AOMEI's message implied that the way to fix the errors that it found was to run chkdsk /scan. However, when I did so, it neither found nor corrected the errors, meaning that they are still there.

Then, I decided to check the disc with AOMEI once again, and got this message:

It appears that the errors are multiplying!

I then decided to go to "This PC - Windows (C: ) - Right Click - Properties - Tools - Error Checking" in order to run a scan directly from Windows itself. I got the following result:

Attachment 138464

I clicked "Show Details", and was brought to the Event Viewer, which showed this information about the scan:

Apparently, it can't find the errors either (much less provide a solution for them).

What should I do? Is there anything that I can do? Is my system too corrupted to fix?

hbenthow, Jun 6, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

If I'm correct, you have one disk in, with one partition that you access, C: - please correct me if I'm wrong.

The last scan was ok
    Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

What problem do you see now?

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  3. hbenthow Win User
    I have two internal hard drives. My main system drive and a drive designated F, which I use to store documents, videos, etc. I've only been checking the system drive for errors (as F is not necessary for Windows to run - it's just a storage drive). When running scans through AOMEI, I only check the one C partition of my system drive. (I checked the other two partitions of the system drive with AOMEI once each, and it found no errors on them. It only finds errors on the C partition.)
    The problem is that CHKDSK didn't find any issues on its own. It's only when I run AOMEI and use its "Check partition for errors by using chkdsk.exe" option that the errors present themselves. (And those are like a game of Whack-a-Mole - fixing some of them by going through the restart CHKDSK session that's automatically triggered by selecting to allow AOMEI to fix the errors just allows more to pop up, and AOMEI even once said that there's something wrong with my MFT, as you can see in one of the error messages in my previous post.)

In fact, I paused writing this message to run another scan with AOMEI, and got this result:
    Attachment 138465

As you can see, AOMEI's CHKDSK scan found the errors that CHKDSK when run on its own missed. (the errors listed right after "Stage 2".

CHKDSK (when run straight from Windows, rather than through AOMEI) doesn't seem to find or fix any errors, and running both sfc /scannow and dism /Online /NoRestart /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth didn't find any either. Only running a scan through AOMEI finds them.

And not only didn't CHKDSK find those index entry errors that AOMEI did, but a while back, when AOMEI had given me the error message "The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.", I ran chkdsk /scan through an elevated command prompt, and it likewise neither found nor corrected any issues.

One thing to note is that the last standalone (ie, non-AOMEI) CHKDSK session that I ran (which found no problems) was just the cursory type that can be run with Windows running. It wasn't a full one that requires a restart. But AOMEI had previously triggered two full restart CHKDSK sessions in attempts to fix the errors that it found. Neither one caused AOMEI to stop finding errors in subsequent scans (although exactly which errors were present changed every time). You can look at the AOMEI error reports in my previous post for more details regarding that.

EDIT: I found something interesting.

Here's a thread on another forum about someone who encountered an issue very similar to my current one (but while using a Glarysoft product instead of an AOMEI one):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...lities.384471/

In one of the replies in that thread, one user quoted the following from a linked page:

Now, when I run CHKDSK by itself (even in read-only mode) it finds no issues on my computer. But running it through AOMEI always finds some kind of problem.

Could the particular way that AOMEI is using CHKDSK be causing false positives?

hbenthow, Jun 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I'm afraid I can't comment on Aomei and chkdsk. You might want to ask the question in Aomei's forums or of Aomei support.

Have you run chkdsk on restart?

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    Yes and no. As I mentioned two posts ago, AOMEI's way of attempting to fix the errors that it finds is to trigger a restart CHKDSK session (if you select to let AOMEI fix the errors that it found, it immediately triggers the restart). It did this twice. CHKDSK itself seemed to complete perfectly each time, giving a message saying that it was 100% finished.

Each time, after the computer restarted and completed a CHKDSK session, I again logged into Windows, checked the C partition using AOMEI, and was again presented with messages claiming that it had found problems (always different errors, though).

However, I did not run a restart CHKDSK session manually using Command Prompt.

hbenthow, Jun 7, 2017
  6. hbenthow Win User
    Update: I ran an extended Western Digital Data Lifeguard test (as my system drive is a Western Digital drive), and it too passed.

Attachment 138576

Also, I decided to try a small experiment. I opened up AOMEI and used it to check my C partition (just as before). I then saved the result (which unsurprisingly contained several error messages). Here's the result, with the errors highlighted in bold text:

I then opened and closed two Internet browsers (browsing the Internet for a few seconds in one before closing it), then ran another AOMEI disc check immediately afterward. This check was performed less than two minutes after the first check. Here are the results:

As you can see, AOMEI gave a drastically different list of errors in two separate scans run within mere minutes of each other, with only about a minute of browser use in between.

I then opened up my main browser (the one that I'm using now), and (with this browser window still open) opened up AOMEI and ran a third scan, with these results:

This time, the errors are very different from those reported by the second scan, but have some entries that are identical to some of those from the first scan. What do you make of all this?

Also, should I run a restart CHKDSK session manually using Command Prompt, then find the log file and post its results here?

If so, do you know the exact best string of letters to enter when running CHKDSK? I usually run chkdsk C: /f /r /x, but I think I saw a claim somewhere that it's not necessary to enter all three letters (f, r, and x) at once.

Are there any other ways to ascertain whether or not AOMEI's results are false positives? I've already posted at the AOMEI forum, but have yet to receive a response.

EDIT: I decided to look the the Windows Event Viewer to see if I could find the logs from the two times that AOMEI triggered a restart CHKDSK session in order to repair errors (as a result of me selecting the option to let AOMEI attempt to fix the errors it had found). Sure enough, I was able to find them. Here's the first one (with a certain part highlighted in bold text for emphasis):

And here's the second:

Is this information of any use? I noticed some of the data stated, "Cleaning up [insert number here] unused index entries from index [insert index name here] of file [insert filename here]". Might these entries have anything to do with the errors that AOMEI gives?

hbenthow, Jun 8, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Best wait for Aomei's comment. There may be some technical detail related to partition management it's sensitive to. I can't comment further, sorry.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird behavior at restart, please help analyze error reports. - Similar Threads - Weird behavior restart

2. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  3. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  4. Weird PowerShell behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  5. Weird PowerShell behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  6. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.: Hello all. I had a crash last night that I am fairly cirtain was BSOD but I didn't actually see the blue screen at all. The pc locked up and I just saw the pixilated inprint of the last thing on the screen. I understand this could be either drivers, bad ram or a bad gpu but I...
  7. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.: Hello all. I had a crash last night that I am fairly cirtain was BSOD but I didn't actually see the blue screen at all. The pc locked up and I just saw the pixilated inprint of the last thing on the screen. I understand this could be either drivers, bad ram or a bad gpu but I...
  8. Crash report on BSOD report. Please help.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Weird mouse behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird mouse behavior: [ATTACH]Hello! I am experiencing some weird things with my mouse. Its kinda hard to explain so I have made a gif. Hope it will be clear by showing it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-mouse-behavior/254eb263-a502-4443-b4a0-85f873752e91
  10. Weird screen behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen behavior: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/cxcris [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fvnrx2/weird_screen_behavior/