Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

Discus and support Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

1. rivre Win User

I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts.

When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to drive, or large groups of files, then it soon starts acting very sluggish, especially when opening new windows or anything that accesses files.

After I've copied large files, if I open my computer, it takes like 30 seconds for the C drive to appear with the proper "space left" bar underneath - the green "working" bar at the top of the window slowly moves along as it's looking at the drive. It instantaneous when I first boot my PC and stays that way unless I'm working with large files. Same for right-clicking files - if I right-click a file to do something with it, it takes a while for Windows to look at it and give me the right-click menu. Again, it's fine until I start handling large files.

Also, only the C drive does this. Any other attached drives pop right up when I open my computer, though right-clicking still takes just as long even on other drives.

The only way to correct it is to reboot, and then it's fine for days, unless I start handling large files again.

What could be causing this? I have 16GB of memory. I do use Fastcopy for all my copying. Could that be causing the issue? Is it a memory issue?

:)

2. tjane Win User

Sluggish handling on games

i have weird question, please help, please read,

i try NFS:Carbon on PS3 it has perfect handling, very quick and responsive, but the frame rates is really bad (i think its 35-40 on crowded, 50-60 when alone) so i decide to play on PC since it would be steady 60 fps..
    when i play NFS:Carbon on PC (with keyboard), i play drift mode, the game runs fine, handling was perfect, very quick and easy drifting with only single turn without brake..
    so i decide to plug joystick, and restart the game..
    then i play drift mode again, handling became very sluggish and slow, feels so goddamn hard to drift..
    so i decide to unplug joystick since handling feels much better with keyboard, but handling still sluggish like playing with joystick...

recently i try on other racing game with joystick, on GRID 2 same thing happen...what is going on man?!

3. thecokeguy Win User
    Sluggish desktop when all windows are minimized

I have this very weird problem using Windows 10. If I minimize all my windows, the desktop is very sluggish, selecting icons takes a second or two. But when I restore a window and handle my desktop right beside it, it's extremely responsive. It's completely stable behavior, all minimized = sluggish, just one restored = very responsive.

Any one else having this issue? Any ideas to what could be causing it?

4. Marivel Man Win User

Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Thema:

1. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files - Similar Threads - Weird behavior sluggish

2. Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives: [img] Why can't I copy the 5.7GB ISO file to either of these three USB Flash Drives? Please see attachment. Thanks. 116077
  3. Network driver does not work after win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Network driver does not work after win 10 update: Dont ask me to browse the community to find out how to fix it, this is not my responsibility! You microsoft so called "update" my windows and mess it up 4 times in 2 weeks. I needed to spend half working day to wait for the update and recover to previous build every time....
  4. How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?: Let me be clear, I'm asking about the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I am not asking about how to change the Quick Access page. I am not asking about how to remove items or add items or customize items in the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I'm asking how to remove it. I can remove all the...
  5. BLACK SCREEN & INFINITE REPAIR LOOP AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPDATE- ACCESS DENIED SAFE MODE

BLACK SCREEN & INFINITE REPAIR LOOP AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPDATE- ACCESS DENIED SAFE MODE: HI im 2 days into this now-- have been trying soo many solutions online-- & nothing is working this is the 3rd time that after a mandatory reboot-- i have been lift with the black screen. The 1st one required 200$+ at the computer repair shop. The 2nd i was able to...
  6. Screen Flicker on Boot After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen Flicker on Boot After Windows Update: Hi, I updated to KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228) yesterday and now when my pc boots the brand name comes up, then the screen flashes of and on and the brand name is back up again and normal boot resumes. Anyone else see this occurrence or have any ideas? 116073
  7. files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    files: I don't know how to do anything with the file can you explain how to use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/files/abbd734c-8b45-468b-8019-b5b89a600f2c
  8. Windows 10 freezing after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezing after update: My computer keeps freezing after the update that came out in April. My computer updated back in April when it came out and the freezing started so I rolled back to the last update and I no longer had the problem but now the update was force pushed out a couple days ago and...
  9. Qualcomm QCA 9565 Bluetooth 4.5 getting Error 43 after 2 seconds on start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Qualcomm QCA 9565 Bluetooth 4.5 getting Error 43 after 2 seconds on start: Recently, my Bluetooth Driver keeps on giving me an error with this: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) I have a Dell Inspiron PC (the ones made in 2016 Christmas) and it's really interfering with my Headset that has Bluetooth....
  10. Windows 10 does not recognize my second hard drive after the last update.

Windows 10 does not recognize my second hard drive after the last update.: I let an update go through yesterday and thought it was all done. I was working today and didn't see my "E" drive. I went to restart and noticed that shutdown included restart. I figured that would clear it up but it didn't. I can't access my storage files. Any help is...