Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

Discus and support Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rivre, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

1. rivre Win User

I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts.

When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to drive, or large groups of files, then it soon starts acting very sluggish, especially when opening new windows or anything that accesses files.

After I've copied large files, if I open my computer, it takes like 30 seconds for the C drive to appear with the proper "space left" bar underneath - the green "working" bar at the top of the window slowly moves along as it's looking at the drive. It instantaneous when I first boot my PC and stays that way unless I'm working with large files. Same for right-clicking files - if I right-click a file to do something with it, it takes a while for Windows to look at it and give me the right-click menu. Again, it's fine until I start handling large files.

Also, only the C drive does this. Any other attached drives pop right up when I open my computer, though right-clicking still takes just as long even on other drives.

The only way to correct it is to reboot, and then it's fine for days, unless I start handling large files again.

What could be causing this? I have 16GB of memory. I do use Fastcopy for all my copying. Could that be causing the issue? Is it a memory issue?

:)

2. tjane Win User

Sluggish handling on games

i have weird question, please help, please read,

i try NFS:Carbon on PS3 it has perfect handling, very quick and responsive, but the frame rates is really bad (i think its 35-40 on crowded, 50-60 when alone) so i decide to play on PC since it would be steady 60 fps..
    when i play NFS:Carbon on PC (with keyboard), i play drift mode, the game runs fine, handling was perfect, very quick and easy drifting with only single turn without brake..
    so i decide to plug joystick, and restart the game..
    then i play drift mode again, handling became very sluggish and slow, feels so goddamn hard to drift..
    so i decide to unplug joystick since handling feels much better with keyboard, but handling still sluggish like playing with joystick...

recently i try on other racing game with joystick, on GRID 2 same thing happen...what is going on man?!

3. thecokeguy Win User
    Sluggish desktop when all windows are minimized

I have this very weird problem using Windows 10. If I minimize all my windows, the desktop is very sluggish, selecting icons takes a second or two. But when I restore a window and handle my desktop right beside it, it's extremely responsive. It's completely stable behavior, all minimized = sluggish, just one restored = very responsive.

Any one else having this issue? Any ideas to what could be causing it?

4. Marivel Man Win User

Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Thema:

1. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files - Similar Threads - Weird behavior sluggish

2. If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...: The edition I'm using is Windows 10 Pro, and under the Activation, it says: Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. I would like to choose Reset my PC from the Recovery option, keep my files and reinstall Windows, but will I have to enter the...
  3. Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting): I use a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop with i7 Processor and 8GB RAM. When I bought the laptop, it was normal after boot. Then after time passed by, my performance of my laptop started degrading (i.e) The computer was damn slow for nearly a minute after boot and returns to normal...
  4. How to recover a replaced notepad file? (Important file:( )

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recover a replaced notepad file? (Important file:( ): TL;DR I opened a notepad that I have, clicked save as and then saved it with the same name in the same directory(i.e replaced it). Can I recover the previous version of the note pad? full story: I reset my windows. after that, I get a problem where my notepad files that...
  5. why does my new computers screen jump from large to small without being prompted

why does my new computers screen jump from large to small without being prompted: why does my new HP computer screen jump fro large to small without being prompted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/why-does-my-new-computers-screen-jump-from-large/51cd3fb1-f41e-45fa-b057-ba8e0c8c415d
  6. loss of data after installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    loss of data after installing Windows 10: I recently installed Windows 10 on my PC which had been using Windows 7. I expected all the data and programs to migrate with the installation. The result was that all the programs made it, but all data is lost, and I am trying to get the data back from my Carbonite backup....
  7. Laptop says need administator account to remove detatils from font file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop says need administator account to remove detatils from font file.: just bought a new laptop recently, just want to edit one of my old designed fonts, and change the details on the font, ive gone to edit remove info and it says i need to use admin acount (there is only 1 account) , so i am, then it says cant edit , need permission from...
  8. problem with media files

problem with media files: I have a problem that I can't figure out what is it , But probably it's related to media files . the problem is when I try to open a video on any website using Microsoft edge I get errors , when I try to play a song using "sondcloud (beta)" Windows app once I click the song...
  9. Unregistered Exception Handler Error!! After POST Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unregistered Exception Handler Error!! After POST Screen: Hi, Today i saw "Unregistered Exception Handler Error" after booting my laptop, it was for the very first time that i observed this type of error. Recently my laptop is not booting up, just fans were running, i went to repair shop and they replaced Input/Output chip and BIOS...
  10. extra large photo icons too small

in Windows 10 Customization
    extra large photo icons too small: Hello. The "extra large" photo icons used to be quite large....now, they are barely larger than the "large" photo icon size. I have read multiple blogs/discussions about this issue, but have not seen any resolutions. Does anyone know how to make the extra large icons...