Windows 10: Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

Discus and support Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rivre, Aug 10, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts.

When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to drive, or large groups of files, then it soon starts acting very sluggish, especially when opening new windows or anything that accesses files.

After I've copied large files, if I open my computer, it takes like 30 seconds for the C drive to appear with the proper "space left" bar underneath - the green "working" bar at the top of the window slowly moves along as it's looking at the drive. It instantaneous when I first boot my PC and stays that way unless I'm working with large files. Same for right-clicking files - if I right-click a file to do something with it, it takes a while for Windows to look at it and give me the right-click menu. Again, it's fine until I start handling large files.

Also, only the C drive does this. Any other attached drives pop right up when I open my computer, though right-clicking still takes just as long even on other drives.

The only way to correct it is to reboot, and then it's fine for days, unless I start handling large files again.

What could be causing this? I have 16GB of memory. I do use Fastcopy for all my copying. Could that be causing the issue? Is it a memory issue?

:)

rivre, Aug 10, 2018
  2. tjane Win User

Sluggish handling on games

i have weird question, please help, please read,

i try NFS:Carbon on PS3 it has perfect handling, very quick and responsive, but the frame rates is really bad (i think its 35-40 on crowded, 50-60 when alone) so i decide to play on PC since it would be steady 60 fps..
    when i play NFS:Carbon on PC (with keyboard), i play drift mode, the game runs fine, handling was perfect, very quick and easy drifting with only single turn without brake..
    so i decide to plug joystick, and restart the game..
    then i play drift mode again, handling became very sluggish and slow, feels so goddamn hard to drift..
    so i decide to unplug joystick since handling feels much better with keyboard, but handling still sluggish like playing with joystick...

recently i try on other racing game with joystick, on GRID 2 same thing happen...what is going on man?!

tjane, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Sluggish desktop when all windows are minimized

I have this very weird problem using Windows 10. If I minimize all my windows, the desktop is very sluggish, selecting icons takes a second or two. But when I restore a window and handle my desktop right beside it, it's extremely responsive. It's completely stable behavior, all minimized = sluggish, just one restored = very responsive.

Any one else having this issue? Any ideas to what could be causing it?

thecokeguy, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

1. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files - Similar Threads - Weird behavior sluggish

2. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  3. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  4. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  6. Weird PowerShell behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  7. Weird PowerShell behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  8. File Explorer really sluggish and weird

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer really sluggish and weird: About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the...
  9. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files: I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to...
  10. Weird behavior after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird behavior after update: I had a recent update of win10. After that everything is ok except when I launch applications a small window with an html file open with the buttons save and open. If I open they open in the browser but nothing happen if I save them the same because the message is till...