Windows 10: Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing

Discus and support Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have two identical 32gb Sandisk USB 3 thumb drives, each divided into two partitions with the second on each bitlocked, and the same problem with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by henryg_1, Jul 28, 2018.

1. henryg_1 Win User

Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing

I have two identical 32gb Sandisk USB 3 thumb drives, each divided into two partitions with the second on each bitlocked, and the same problem with each. In summary the unlock passord dialogue is not appearing on my Desktop PC so I cannot unlock the drive/partition.

It happens annoying irregularity, and once it has happened the unlock dialogue never appears again even after reboots. BUT I can succcessfully unlock the same thumb drive partition on my laptop. And it can happen to either drive - the only solution I have found so far being to reformat the partition, bitlock and wait for it to fail again.

Once the unlock dialogue fails to start, DIsk Management on my Desktop PC shows the partition to be Unknown (BitLocker Encrypted) Healthy (Logical Drive), and not surprisingly I cannot add a drive letter. On my laptop once unlocked it shows as FAT32.

I have also found that if I dismiss the unlock dialogue without unlocking the drive, that causes the same problem every time, not irregularly.

Can anyone help please as it is driving me CRAZY

Henry

[ Moved from: Windows 10 / Devices & drivers ]

:)

henryg_1, Jul 28, 2018

2. BitLocker key cannot unlock the disk. Neither can i reinstall cause the drive is blocked

Hi Havard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
    • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application not found”, then I would suggest you
    to refer the article provided in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Jul 28, 2018
  4. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing - Similar Threads - Weird Bitlocker Problem

2. Unlock Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unlock Bitlocker: I am trying to clone my computer to IDrive so I can wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 11. Hopefully that will clear up some issues I am having with my computer. It can't backup because files are bitlocked.I didn't know I had bitlocker but apparently I do. I went through...
  3. Unlock Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlock Bitlocker: I am trying to clone my computer to IDrive so I can wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 11. Hopefully that will clear up some issues I am having with my computer. It can't backup because files are bitlocked.I didn't know I had bitlocker but apparently I do. I went through...
  4. Bitlocker Forever 'Unlocking'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Forever 'Unlocking': Hi Guys,I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with a Bitlocker encrypted system drive. Recently Windows 10 displayed a notification coloured red instead of the usual blue indicating some kind of storage related error I didn't note the exact text unfortunately. Shortly after when trying...
  5. Unlocking Bitlocker

Unlocking Bitlocker: Hi all I found this article on here , is this still the most update and easiest method to unlock bitlocker? I only want to partition a drive so that that data and apps are separate. If I do partition should I locked both drives after or is bitlocker only for the system drive?...
  6. bitlocker unlock

bitlocker unlock: my laptop is asking to unlock the drive using bitlocker recoery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-unlock/52f11a10-ba88-4fed-b829-bf4cf22b6746
  7. Bitlocker unlock

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker unlock: Who [IMG]to unlock drive c and lock drive c. Unlock bitloker plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-unlock/7a7981f8-ea23-4c86-88be-230c9e2838d2
  8. Bitlock unlock?

Bitlock unlock?: I'm just wondering what this is for on Bitlocker (unlock)? How do you use it? [img] 155432
  9. Bitlock unlock?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlock unlock?: I'm just wondering what this is for on Bitlocker (unlock)? How do you use it? [img] 155432
  10. Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird Bitlocker Problem - unlock dialogue not appearing: I have two identical 32gb Sandisk USB 3 thumb drives, each divided into two partitions with the second on each bitlocked, and the same problem with each. In summary the unlock passord dialogue is not appearing on my Desktop PC so I cannot unlock the drive/partition. It...