Windows 10: Weird Cortana Issue

Discus and support Weird Cortana Issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys. I'm on latest build of Windows 10 and seem to be having a slight issue with Cortana. Unsure what to do as i know the re-register apps line... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AntJac, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AntJac Win User

Weird Cortana Issue

Hi guys. I'm on latest build of Windows 10 and seem to be having a slight issue with Cortana. Unsure what to do as i know the re-register apps line does not work now.

Basically, normally when i click on Cortana it brings up News headlines etc. Now when i do it brings up Apps, Settings, Files and Web and Search through these things. I've clicked on Settings but can't see anything where it has changed. Every other app works fine its just Cortana Live tile showing the static Circle.

Any ideas? Many thanks

:)

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016

2. Why isn't Cortana available in Canada for windows 10?

Weird... I'm in Canada and I have Cortana...

JacobKoren, Feb 23, 2016
  3. Lumia 930 microphone not working

Hi Douglas, I did the recovery but it didn't work. still have the same issue. what is weird is that Cortana responds well. it sometimes answers the "Hey Cortana" from across the room. But it took me a lot of time to train it when I activated the "Hey Cortana
    function.

When cortana is listening, everything is ok and hears me well.

the issue is when I am is speaker mode in phone, Skype, ... even the whatsapp voice not doesn't work.

Abdallah Mina, Feb 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Weird Cortana Issue

Hi, do you mean it displays the Notebook? Could you post screenshots of what you see if you
    a. Click on the live tile
    b. Press Windows key + S

and
    c. Your start menu

Do you have any useful System Restore points?
    (Note, system restore is turned off by default in Win 10 thanks to MS but can be enabled of course).

Thanks

dalchina, Feb 23, 2016
  5. AntJac Win User
    Please see screenie attached.
    Weird Cortana Issue [​IMG]

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Your search bar shows "Search the web and windows".
    Your Cortana needs to be enabled.

If Cortana is enabled, the search bar should say " Ask me anything".

davidhk, Feb 23, 2016
  7. AntJac Win User
    Apologies but how can I enable Cortana?

Normally it shows News headlines though even when it's not on? I don't have a mic or anything on my PC

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Weird Cortana Issue

On the left side, click the Gear icon which is under the Home icon > you are on Settings > select what you want to be turned On ........................

davidhk, Feb 23, 2016
  9. AntJac Win User
    Many thanks. Everything is on except for the top switch and when i click that on i get the following message.

When i click on that it takes me to the Speech menu in Settings

Unsure where to go from there as everything seems in order. I have done a sfc and DISM run which came back fine.

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Have you clicked "Use Cortana" ?

davidhk, Feb 23, 2016
  11. AntJac Win User
    Yeah it sends me to a message in same box saying "Before I can help you you need to change Mr to a language I can speak" them there's two options settings and close

Settings sends me to Speech options in settings and only language i can choose is United States (even though I am in UK)

I've tried amending region and the from US to UK and vice versa but still no joy. It's so strange as its the only app with an issue

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    My suggestion is this..............................
    Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > Country or Region > type United States.
    Language section.................
    If you already have English (united States) installed, click it and click Set as Default.
    IF you don't have it, click Add a language and select English > select English (United State) > then set it as default.

P.S. I'm in Canada, and I did the same settings in order to get Cortana to work.
    If I select Canada as my Country or Region, and English (Canada), Cortana will not work.

davidhk, Feb 23, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Weird Cortana Issue

You can change everything to the UK, if that's what you prefer.

Unfortunately there are several settings to change to get everything consistent, plus downloads for certain things. Cortana does help to indicate what it needs.

It is a bit confusing, and certainly not just one setting. E.g.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2016
  14. AntJac Win User
    David your suggestion worked thank you ever so much and, along with amending some settings in dalxhinas post the issue is now solved. Thabk you guys have some rep

AntJac, Feb 23, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    Does not work for me.

davidhk, Feb 23, 2016
Thema:

Weird Cortana Issue

1. Weird Cortana Issue - Similar Threads - Weird Cortana Issue

2. Cortana issues

in Cortana
    Cortana issues: Why Cortana is not updated yet to understand the language. She always says i cant help with that or i cant recognise Why Why Why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-issues/e0660178-7837-4ea7-94bb-eaa08c99ac2f
  3. Issue with Cortana

in Cortana
    Issue with Cortana: My Cortana is not showing the notebook option. I have tried settings but there is no option related to notebook. Can you please help. I am also sharing a screenshot of my problem.[ATTACH]...
  4. cortana issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cortana issues: for some reason with a new windows update cortana will open when i press windows+c. i had this disabled on previous versions of windows but the setting for it seems to be removed. cortana is mentioned nowhere in windows settings and i have no way to turn it of inside cortana...
  5. Issues with Cortana

in Cortana
    Issues with Cortana: Hi there! So, I'm trying to use cortana to open programs, set reminders etc and the only that she will do is search bing. I've looked for solutions, but most require me to turn off bing, or turn off cortana suggestions. The thing is, I do not have "Cortana and search...
  6. cortana issue

in Cortana
    cortana issue: Hi I am Charan I have updated Cortana to the latest version but still it shows that "Wake word Cortana " is not available do I have a issue in windows Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-issue/70b81440-1694-4c78-a27f-6353f497e895
  7. Issue with cortana

in Cortana
    Issue with cortana: Hi Everyone, I have this issue with using Cortana, where it won't open up when I am in the START full screen. It works fine when I am in another window or when using START small screen. Looking for a way to fix this glitch, it would be great if anyone could help me to...
  8. CORTANA ISSUE

in Windows 10 Customization
    CORTANA ISSUE: [ATTACH]I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE SPEECH LANGUAGE PACK ENGLISH INDIAN BUT WHEN I INSTALL IT . THE WINDOWS SHOW THAT INSTALLATION FAILED . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-issue/36449079-17d5-40c7-ab1e-a48b41b03c8d
  9. cortana issue

in Cortana
    cortana issue: when i start cortana by saying hey cortana or just by clicking the circle ...the circle gloom's and suddenly stuck ....and whatever i say for search nothing is recognized ...no search result ...... and what ever i type in search box say...check for updates .. then the...
  10. Cortana Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Issues: I am having trouble with Cortana. It will work at first and for a while and then it will not open the web pages. It makes the sound like it is going to go to the web page but it does not. What can I do to "debug" this issue? I can still use the search by typing it in and it...