Windows 10: Weird motherboard beeping/memory issue. Help?

Discus and support Weird motherboard beeping/memory issue. Help? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm kind of at my wit's end right now. *Sad I had this issue when I first built my PC a few years back but ultimately had it "resolved" until last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by malrats, Jan 19, 2016.

1. malrats Win User

Weird motherboard beeping/memory issue. Help?

I'm kind of at my wit's end right now. *Sad

I had this issue when I first built my PC a few years back but ultimately had it "resolved" until last night

The motherboard is very, very weird about how I put the sticks of RAM in and I guess even the order I put them in. If it didn't like the way I put them in (4x4gb) then it wouldn't POST and instead beep rapidly, reboot, beep rapidly, and repeat the cycle endlessly.

I've got two different brands and speeds (1600 and 1333, I guess) and I keep the pairs together in slots 1/2 and 3/4. Suddenly last night I kept getting BSODs like crazy, then finally I was getting one when trying to boot, then Windows 10 said it needed a startup repair. Then somehow it just started working again, but I did a memtest86 pass and I got a ton of errors on test 4.

So today I took the sticks out and have been trying to get them in to the point where it POSTs and then running memtest86 each time. 0 errors on each test. And now I can't get all 4 sticks back in. In fact, I can't even seem to get two back in. I just had 2 in slots 3/4 and got it to POST and was running the memtest, and while typing this just now it actually just shut down, restarted, and did the crazy beeping and now won't POST again

Any ideas?

I ordered a 16gb RAM kit last night that comes in tomorrow, assuming based on the errors that it was bad memory needing replacing

The motherboard is a Gigabyte G87X-UDH3. Based on what I can find, the rapid beeping with this motherboard is an issue with the memory.

:)

malrats, Jan 19, 2016
  2. KiperR Win User

Out of Options to fix Random Blue Screens?

Computer started up about 5 times perfectly fine since the last update, however this time it gave a long beep before the POST beep.

After doing research as to why that beep had stopped after I removed the bad RAM stick, Gigabyte's site confirmed that this beep to mean a memory problem.

Could this be a motherboard issue, like is there something wrong with the slot or the motherboard that is causing these ram sticks to do this?

KiperR, Jan 19, 2016
  3. MardAZ Win User
    Windows 10 Update Bricked my Dell Today-Jan 14 2018

The issue at this point is to revive the PC to be able to do ANYTHING. It appears that the Microsoft patch put the Dell motherboard into a state in which it will not do anything other than run the fan or give a proper beep code if the memory is removed.
    That is it. Until the MoBo is revived, there is NOTHING that can be done to fix the problem.

MardAZ, Jan 19, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Are yo installing the DIMMs in the order specified in your motherboard's manual?

Pairs are supposed to go in slots 1 and 2, or 3 and 4. However, the slots are numbered (from the rear of the board) 1, 3, 2, 4.

Does clearing the CMOS help?

Good luck.

bobkn, Jan 19, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Same brand, same speed, different batch is bad enough and that's why they sell them in pair. Before ordering the 16GB RAM, did you also check for compatibility with your MB documentation ?

topgundcp, Jan 19, 2016
  6. malrats Win User
    Popped in the new sticks that came in today in slots 2 and 4, along with the sticks I left in there from last night in slots 1 and 3, and it POSTed on the first attempt. Memtest is running now.

*Fingers crossed*

malrats, Jan 19, 2016
  7. malrats Win User
    No good. Despite passing the test, it'll POST but then automatically restart. It works fine with just the new memory in.

Would this be because of the timing differences? 9-9-9-24 and 11-11-11-28

malrats, Jan 20, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I haven't mixed RAM in a long time. I dimly recall manually setting the timings in the BIOS.

The simplest thing to do is to not mix RAM.

bobkn, Jan 20, 2016
  9. malrats Win User
    I'd assume I'd have to manually set the timing of both to match the slower of the two?

Although honestly, if I have 16GB working without issue, do I really even need an extra 8GB? Having 24GB SOUNDS nice, but I don't know that I'd even see a benefit. I'm mostly a gamer.

malrats, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird motherboard beeping/memory issue. Help? - Similar Threads - Weird motherboard beeping

2. Random motherboard beeps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random motherboard beeps?: Hello, i use a MSI A320m-A PRO MAX motherboard and i randomly got 3 2 beep bursts? 6 beeps in total would anyone be willing to help me? thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-motherboard-beeps/0c027bf7-5f7e-49a9-8afa-b27cab00721f
  3. Random motherboard beeps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random motherboard beeps?: Hello, i use a MSI A320m-A PRO MAX motherboard and i randomly got 3 2 beep bursts? 6 beeps in total would anyone be willing to help me? thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-motherboard-beeps/0c027bf7-5f7e-49a9-8afa-b27cab00721f
  4. Computer random crashes and motherboard beeping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer random crashes and motherboard beeping: Prior to this my computer was running while i was gaming then i turned off my outlet by accident From here my motherboard started beepingI left unplugged for a couple days then booted and it started working againI would then get random crashes ranging from couple minutes or 8...
  5. Weird beeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird beeping: Hey people, so, I was playing payday 2 and listening to some youtube videos and after the video ended I pressed the windows key to exit the game and switch videos, but for some reason my pc made a weird beep when I pressed the key, anyone know why? And weirdly enough I...
  6. Motherboard Gigabtye beep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard Gigabtye beep: Hi when using windows 10 randomly my motherboard beeps one short just does it random is there a cmos battery low ??. 154443
  7. Help! weird boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Help! weird boot issues: Since my computer was running 7 i upgraded to 10 today. However, I've been having weird boot issues. To simplify things, if I shut down my computer, wait about 5 mins, and turn it back on, everything is fine. However, if I restart the computer I have to do this for driver...
  8. Weird computer softlock and beeping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird computer softlock and beeping: OK, so this may take a while to read, sorry! I'm on a HP Pavilion 360 degree Convertible with Intel Core i3, plugged in, in tablet mode (and flipped), and connected via USB to a Logitech M171 Wireless Mouse, if that helps. The computer had just booted up from an update,...
  9. ASUS motherboard and 3 short beeps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASUS motherboard and 3 short beeps: Anyone knows what does it mean? I read about 1 long + 3 short, but I have continuous 3 short beeps. Thought it's RAM, but tried other memory and nothing changes. Changing the slots does nothing as well. Thought, for a moment, that it's problem with GPU, but tried without it...
  10. 1 Long beep + 3 short beep Asus motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    1 Long beep + 3 short beep Asus motherboard: Hi guys, I have an Asus Z97A Motherboard/GTX 1080/24GB DDR3Gskill/ 500 GB SSD + 1to HDD and recently when i boot my PC i hear 1 long beep then quickly after 3 short beep.. I've searched in Asus website about the meaning of these beep and it's written that it's a Video...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i hear strange beep from my motherboard