Windows 10: weird MS Edge browser attemted hack ?

Discus and support weird MS Edge browser attemted hack ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Someone used Edge to attempt to login as user 'meisterB' in one of my financial accounts, as when I opened Edge and went to that website, the username... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by coderjoe, Jul 2, 2017.

1. coderjoe Win User

weird MS Edge browser attemted hack ?

Someone used Edge to attempt to login as user 'meisterB' in one of my financial accounts, as when I opened Edge and went to that website, the username meisterB was filled in as if remembered. I never use Edge, never, except this time. It worries me. This happened while I have had Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium up to date and running. Wtf?

I did a clean install of Windows 10 about two months ago, and I use Firefox 99.9999999% of the time. I just do not get how the above happened, what might be going on, seem very suspicious.

I have installed several open source software programs, could one of them be behind this, even with my anti-malware allegedly providing real time protection? Should I uninstall some of the open source software to protect myself? I also installed a free version of DxO optics Pro 9, that is not opensource. I have never had issues with opensource software in the past (7-zip, Libreoffice, Abiword, Clementine, Greenshot screenshot grabber, etc)

Any thoughts, suggested actions? Or do I just let go of this?

:)

coderjoe, Jul 2, 2017

2. microsoft edge has been hacked

My MS edge has been hacked

Daniel_Snowdon, Jul 2, 2017
  3. sec4pc Win User
    Can't change default apps in Windows 10

Did not work for me. I have a Client PC. All he wants is Chrome as default browser and OUTLOOK 2013 as default mailapp and every reboot it reverts to edge and ms Mail (or whatever its called now). Been dealing with this on a couple computers for a
    while and the reg hacks suggested are for older ver of win10 so worried about trying those.

sec4pc, Jul 2, 2017
  4. coderjoe Win User

Here is a list of my current opensource software, which I have never had issues with for years:
    • VideoLan VLC media player
    • Sumatra PDF viewer
    • Tea text editor
    • Musescore 2
    • 7-zip
    • Abiword
    • ASIO4All
    • Free RAR Extract Frog
    • Gedit text editor
    • Tea text editor
    • Libreoffice
    • GIMP image editor
    • ImageMagick

Here is a list of new opensource software I installed recently:
    • Clementine music player
    • Greenshot screenshot grabber
    • Irfanview image viewer
    • Lightspark (replacement for flashplayer)
    • pnotes sticky notes

Here is a list of closed source software I installed recently:
    • Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (to discover Windows product key)
    • DxO Optics Pro 9 free image editor

coderjoe, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Run CCleaner and remove everything in EDGE. Then download MalwareBytes 3.0 and run a Full scan. You can use the free trial version.

Josey Wales, Jul 2, 2017
  6. coderjoe Win User
    I will do that. I do have Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium, always running for live real time protection. I have used CCleaner before not on my 10 system currently so I am going to get and run ccleaner now! Thanks!

coderjoe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. weird MS Edge browser attemted hack ? - Similar Threads - weird Edge browser

2. MS Edge Chromium Browser.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Edge Chromium Browser.: Hello Is it possible for the new Edge Chromium browser to automatically open and already have pages that were open in the past . In MS Edge ,it was possible where in user closes Edge opens it and it has pages already/still has the pages open in the past. Regards, Rakesh...
  3. How to delete MS Edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to delete MS Edge browser: Running current win10 2004 build 19041.450 as of yesterday and all seemed well until today. Have always used Firefox as browser prior to update 2004 download . Today update installed MS Edge ,but i kept my default browser as Firefox. Went to uninstall KB4559309 Edge update...
  4. McAffee warning on MS Edge browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    McAffee warning on MS Edge browser: I do not have McAfee software installed but I've started to get a warning message on my browser telling me my subscription has expired (today's date) and to visit...
  5. MS Edge: Basic Browser Settings.

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Basic Browser Settings.: The latest changes to the basic settings in MS Edge are just a joke. How did anyone think that what has been implemented could be acceptable in any way? Frankly, I am starting to wonder what 99% of the so-called enhancements are worth. Most of them are just a distraction. Or,...
  6. Why MS Edge Browser not so Popular?

in Browsers and Email
    Why MS Edge Browser not so Popular?: Despite Edge being one of the secure browsers out there (close to Chrome's security sandboxed environment), why are not so many people using it? Not just from a security standpoint, but its much faster as well. I can think of one simple reason, maybe the lack of extensions?...
  7. Ms Edge Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Ms Edge Browser.: I am running windows 10 preview 14393.5. I have the following questions. 1. In ms edge the cast to device is greyed out, is this normal? 2. Will cast to device work with 1st generation google cast device? Henry 57648
  8. Miniscule display size in MS Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Miniscule display size in MS Edge Browser: Yesterday mid-day my Edge browser screen-font-size suddenly went from "normal" to miniscule (see attached image). At the time I was reading info on a sports web-site. Just prior to that my touch-pad (ASUS laptop) suddenly reverted to having the touch-pad feature "TAP" as...
  9. ms new edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    ms new edge browser: anyone know when ms plans to allow plugins to work with edge ? is kinda a useless browser without them 19320
  10. MS Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge Browser: Just upgraded to new Windows 10 along with the new Edge browser. It has been a terrible experience! How do I move my "favorites" to the left side of my browser? I have tried all the various things posted and Googled on how to move it and to no avail, no success. In addition,...