Windows 10: Weird problem, Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter not working on one PC

Discus and support Weird problem, Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter not working on one PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a weird problem on my Windows 10 Home laptop since a few days my Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter isnt working anymore. It worked fine before and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mkdr, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mkdr Win User

Weird problem, Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter not working on one PC

I have a weird problem on my Windows 10 Home laptop since a few days my Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter isnt working anymore. It worked fine before and it is also still working fine on my desktop PC, a Windows 10 Pro.

It always shows "identifying network": https://i.imgur.com/nn7vHvU.png automatic and manual IP config dont work, both work fine on the desktop. It took me some time but I think the problem is a weird driver issue. Because on the laptop the device shows as:

https://i.imgur.com/ZKwldFJ.png

Realtek USB FE Family Controller, which seems to be wrong. The correct naming should be, was, and is still on the desktop:

https://i.imgur.com/QG9Kzuk.png

I looked onto the Realtek site and it seems there was a driver update a few weeks ago to: 10.5.1019 and it seems that Windows downloaded the driver a few days ago on my laptop and since then it got broken. The desktop has still the old driver 10.5.915.

I tried to deinstall the driver via device manager and also clicked remove the driver on my laptop and Windows installed version 10.5.915 again afterwards, but it stays broken, it stays with the weird naming "Realtek USB FE Family Controller" instead of "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller" like it is on the desktop.

I also noticed when I plug in the adapter, it is first named correctly "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller" in the device manager on my laptop but then deactivates again and activates as "Realtek USB FE Family Controller".

I also noticed the network settings totally differ on the desktop and the laptop:

Desktop (working) correct identified driver: https://i.imgur.com/EUDWsle.png

Laptop (not working) obviously not right identified/loaded driver: https://i.imgur.com/5PMkCCf.png

I guess FE stands for Fast Ethernet but the cable and switch port is GbE of course. And even if it was Fast Ethernet, that doesnt count for why it isnt working at all.

Link also shows working and as GbE on the laptop: https://i.imgur.com/kg1PZbi.png

:)

2. GEK
    GEK Win User

Store, Cortana, Microsoft Account, and Edge not connecting to internet, but all other applications do

Realtek pcie gbe family controller here Too... Same adapter same problem

3. nat_bl Win User
    the new build 14951 has the same problems  as 14942/14946

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter PCI

nat_bl, Feb 23, 2016
  4. m0rfi Win User

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem but I don't even have a net adapter. I have windows 10 in a surface pro 4. Please someone can help?

m0rfi, Apr 17, 2016
  5. mkdr Win User
    I solved the problem on my own of course because this forum is totally useless. You need to go into the device manager and activate show hidden/not connected devices. Then you will see the fast Ethernet version of the driver installed but "hidden", click on it and remove it. It's some nasty Windows bug I guess.

6. m0rfi Win User
    m0rfi, Apr 17, 2016
  7. mkdr Win User
    Delete both, also tick delete driver, then re-stick. Make sure 10.5.915 is installed afterwards and not the other one.

mkdr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird problem, Realtek USB 3.0 GbE adapter not working on one PC - Similar Threads - Weird problem Realtek

2. lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe doesn't work: Hello all! I have a laptop Xiaomi notebook pro 15,6, i-7 Win11pro, a router Redmi AX6 and a lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller. When I connect my laptop to the router by wire, the system network eth works for a couple of minutes,...
  3. lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe doesn't work: Hello all! I have a laptop Xiaomi notebook pro 15,6, i-7 Win11pro, a router Redmi AX6 and a lan usb adapter typeC, which is identified as Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller. When I connect my laptop to the router by wire, the system network eth works for a couple of minutes,...
  4. Realtek PCI GbE Ethernet adapter problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek PCI GbE Ethernet adapter problem: Product: HP ProBook 430 G5 Notebook PCOperating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Hello,Very strange issue:When connecting the CAT cable to LAN port on my ProBook it gets a link on a router port which I use several months already but after trying to identify the network for a...
  5. Realtek PCI GbE Ethernet adapter problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek PCI GbE Ethernet adapter problem: Product: HP ProBook 430 G5 Notebook PCOperating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Hello,Very strange issue:When connecting the CAT cable to LAN port on my ProBook it gets a link on a router port which I use several months already but after trying to identify the network for a...
  6. Realtek Gbe Family controller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Realtek Gbe Family controller: I am unable to connect to the internet. Tried several options but nothing works. Even the Realtek bluetooth adapter has error code of:Code 43. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-gbe-family-controller/d739afdf-ea68-48da-ad53-4a42de54662c
  7. Realtek PCIe Gbe Family controller driver problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek PCIe Gbe Family controller driver problem: Hi! I've a big problem that I had already solved but now... HERE WE GO AGAIN! I've a 1Gbit/s connection and I know that the ethernet cable and modem/routers are ok. The problem is: my LAN card can't reach the maximum speed due to its driver. In fact on linux, I reach...
  8. ETHERNET ISSUE - The Realtek PCIe GBe Family Controller Adapter is experiencing problems....

ETHERNET ISSUE - The Realtek PCIe GBe Family Controller Adapter is experiencing problems....: My problem is with the ethernet. So, I updated to windows 10 1809 back in december 2018, and suddenly after updating, Microsoft apps like Mail, Xbox, Weather, Feedback etc. didn't connect to internet even when the internet was working. I let that slide cause I didn't really...
  9. eSATA to USB 3 adapter?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eSATA to USB 3 adapter?: Sort of a hardware question: I I have an old PC with an front panel eSATA port (not power eSATA or eSATA + USB) and a couple USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports. I have no need for eSATA but have a number of USB 3.0 devices. I've been looking for an eSTAT-m to USB 3.0-f adapter or...
  10. vLan on Realtek PCIe GBE Family

vLan on Realtek PCIe GBE Family: Looking to set up vLan on my Windows 10 machine so that I can keep my server iLO connection separate from the rest of the network traffic. I open up the network connections and select properties for my Realtek connection. Then hit configure and I should be able to see a vLan...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. realtek wireless usb adapter problem causing usb ports to not work