Windows 10: Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

Discus and support Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just Installed windows 10 pro on my new PC at work. And my start menu looks like this [img] The icons on the left are unclear and annoying to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by haimmaik, Aug 9, 2016.

1. haimmaik Win User

Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

I just Installed windows 10 pro on my new PC at work. And my start menu looks like this

Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours [​IMG]

The icons on the left are unclear and annoying to get used to. I've been looking on the net and saw that the majority of the screenshots of the start menu on windows 10 look like this:

Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours [​IMG]
    ]
    Where the icons that I have on the side appear at the bottom with text next to them likes settings and downloads and stuff.

How can I change my start menu (top pic) to look like the good one (bot pic)?

:)

haimmaik, Aug 9, 2016

2. Pinned items in Windows 10 start menu are not seen by Windows Search

Hey Everyone,

I've got a program pinned in my Start Menu. It is actually Real VNC Viewer. The program is portable, meaning it is not "installed", it is just copied in an Applications folder inside my home folder.

I've pinned the .exe into my Windows 10 start menu. I can see it there and I can execute it, everything seems to be fine. The weird thing is that windows search does not see the link, so I cannot execute it by typing the name of the shorcut or the app.

It gets even more weird because windows search does see the folder where the app is stored (i get that in the results) but it does not see the shortcut for the app in the start menu.

Anyone had the same problem? Anyone solved it?

Thanks!

Diego Espada, Aug 9, 2016
  3. E Brew Win User
    Error: ""Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly." on Windows 10

Every fix I've tried works for a few hours, but the next day I'm back to no Start Menu functionality (except right click), no search, no Edge

E Brew, Aug 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the 2nd picture is not a current start menu picture- and certainly not related to the anniversary edition- assuming you have the anniversary edition that is. (build 14393.51).

'All apps' has vanished from the start menu in the current build- that was in build 1511 from November 2015 until August 2nd when the new build was released. MS now lists all items the start menu finds as per your 1st picture. If you want something different, you'll need a replacement 3rd party start menu.

(I see 3 icons to the left of the list of programs in my Win 10 start menu- this is configurable in Settings, search for choose which folders..).

So your picture is of the current start menu, anniversary edition.

Suggest it's worth searching the internet for articles on what's changed in the anniversary edition.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  5. haimmaik Win User
    Thank you very much!,
    I installed win10 1511 and the start menu is fine. should I avoid updates to keep it that way?

p.s. I hope the guy that came up with the idea to force the start menu to look like windows mobile start menu get run over by a train.
    I cba to memorize what each icon on the side means, its seriously annoying as ****.

haimmaik, Aug 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, it's up to you, except you would have to block all Windows updates to do that, missing security updates.

The anniversary upgrade fixes several long reported problems, introduces one minor appearance bug.

Better option- allow updates, and use a 3rd party start menu. That in Win 10- any build- is awful in my view, especially if upgrading from Win 7 start menu structures.

I use Classic Shell and can launch that or Win 10's start menu. And as I've said, you can disable many of those icons down the side in Settings.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours - Similar Threads - Weird start menu

2. I've been waiting to chat with someone for 3 hours

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I've been waiting to chat with someone for 3 hours: Is this normal? If it is, what a sorry ship they are running. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-been-waiting-to-chat-with-someone-for-3-hours/1d142aac-d7ca-4312-9830-71b6826ec124
  3. Problem with Start menu and Search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Start menu and Search bar: From these two days, I can't open search menu and when ever I click on start menu the explorer restarts. I can't even open some apps(now in Insider build 20H2). submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments]...
  4. Very weird problem and only happens at the start menu

Very weird problem and only happens at the start menu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MoeNancy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e6el29/very_weird_problem_and_only_happens_at_the_start/
  5. weird problems with start menu and settings

weird problems with start menu and settings: Its my first post in this subreddit so be kind. I do tech support, so for me this one is weird In the last couple of days my main win10 machine has problem with the start power icon having no effect(right clicking works) and if i go to settings i can't type anything into the...
  6. Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug: When typing something to search for in the Start Menu, the search results don't show up and a graphical bug is visible instead. This happens randomly and only gets fixed after a reboot. The last time it occurred was after updating a Store app through the Microsoft Store....
  7. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems: I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do? 28297
  8. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  9. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...
  10. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330