Windows 10: Weird Windows Snap Overlay

Discus and support Weird Windows Snap Overlay in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my laptop has done this weird thing ever since I got it. Whenever I drag a window, this pops up: [img] It did it when I was using it before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shulk, Apr 10, 2016.

1. shulk Win User

Weird Windows Snap Overlay

So my laptop has done this weird thing ever since I got it. Whenever I drag a window, this pops up:

Weird Windows Snap Overlay [​IMG]

It did it when I was using it before and after I reinstalled windows, and I haven't seen it on any other computer, Windows 10 or no. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

:)

shulk, Apr 10, 2016
  2. djpackman Win User

Desktop Window Manager for Windows 10

I used to have a Desktop Manager that came with my Dell XPS15.

When I would click and drag a window, an overlay window would appear and prompt me to snap the dragged windows to a side, top, bottom, or corner. It was intelligent enough to figure out if I wanted to snap to a corner, or even to size a small window to
    1/16 of the screen (I have a large monitor). The overlay window had a translucent background and the preview size of the snapped window was gray.

I had to restore the computer and lost the window manager. Sorry for the poor description - does anyone know what this component is and how I can get it? The "Dell Display Manager" that you can download is not nearly as dynamic.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Dan

djpackman, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Snap not working

I just retried Snap on my Toshiba laptop. Snap seems to now work, with the following notations. Note there are many web pages and videos that show how Snap should work.

Drag a window as far as it will go and quickly let go.

Dragging to the top maximizes the window. Nothing happens to the other windows. You may find this quicker than double clicking the title bar to do this.

Dragging to a side snaps the window to the edge and other windows become thumbnails. You can also snap using the Window key and an arrow key. If I move the snapped window, all thumbnail windows go back to how they were before. If I click a thumbnail,
    it opens to fill the screen next to the snapped window. If I minimize a snapped window, the windows underneath are no longer thumbnails. I can snap one of these windows to a corner.

Dragged to a corner, a window is snapped to fill that corner of the screen. If another window was already dragged to that corner, the new window simply overlays it. If you minimize the new window, the former window is still there. You can do this for
    up to 4 windows snapped in the 4 corners next to each other. You can resize snapped windows. If you expand then minimize a snapped window, the snap is gone for it and you can move it to another corner. Play with it.

You can open another app from the task bar and snap that into a corner.

Nothing happens dragging straight down.

Netmouser13, Apr 10, 2016
  4. zztemp Win User

I'm guessing this is just an illustration on how you can sort/place your windows ?
    Are your in tablet-mode perhaps?

zztemp, Apr 10, 2016
  5. shulk Win User
    Idk, I have two computers with Windows 10 on them and never seen this before. And nope, not in tablet mode

shulk, Apr 10, 2016
  6. AndreyT Win User
    Would you please meaningfully explain what exactly you are reffering to? What is "this" that "pops up"?

Are you talking about the Evernote window with some musings on Government, Islam and Christianity addressed to some guy named "Doug"? If this Evernote window pops up every time you drag a window, ten you definitely have some sort of malware on your computer.

If you are referring to the gray "layout" overlay in the upper left corner of the screen, then this might be some kind of "GUI enhancement" window manager utility installed by your laptop vendor. Check your startups or your Task Manager for running processes, and you'll figure out what's doing this.

AndreyT, Apr 10, 2016
  7. shulk Win User
    Hahaha sorry, I was referring to the gray layout overlay. I checked my startup folder and it only has programs I enabled. Same with task manager, nothing I don't recognize, and/or didn't install myself.

Like I said, I preformed a totally clean installation of windows and this thing was here from the get go.

shulk, Apr 11, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

If I'm not mistaken, those 'tips' will go away after a few times using a feature, but,
    you could try turning off "Show me Windows tips" in 'Notifications and Actions'

Edwin, Apr 11, 2016
  9. So I made an account here JUST to post on this thread with the hopes that some poor sucker out there sees this and what I am about to say helps them...

This was driving me f*cking crazy. I just spent like 3 hours trying to figure this out. I found a couple promising posts that mentioned it was a setting in Dell PremierColor, but I dont have that installed.

However, I just figured out what it was on my machine... MSI TrueColor!!! If you have this, go to Tools, and click on Desktop Parition. You can turn this completely useless and annoying "feature" off by unchecking the box.

Wow... holy crap... that was an ordeal.

Anyway, I hope I helped someone.

Plavalaguna, Apr 30, 2016
  10. Oh man! You sure did help! I've been super annoyed with this "feature" and your solution saved me!! Thanks!!!

Ziptholomew, Oct 5, 2016
  11. mkinasz Win User
    Wow.... I can't believe how much that was driving me nuts. Happened on your post and it saved the day.
    Thanks!!!!!!!
    *Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile

mkinasz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird Windows Snap Overlay - Similar Threads - Weird Snap Overlay

2. How do i remove this weird unwanted performance overlay?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i remove this weird unwanted performance overlay?: Hello,This is my first question on here, but let's get straight to the point.I was playing some minecraft no, this is not a minecraft question and pressed some buttons I don't know wich ones, tho.And now I have this weird performance overlay that only appears in some...
  3. How do i remove this weird unwanted performance overlay?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i remove this weird unwanted performance overlay?: Hello,This is my first question on here, but let's get straight to the point.I was playing some minecraft no, this is not a minecraft question and pressed some buttons I don't know wich ones, tho.And now I have this weird performance overlay that only appears in some...
  4. Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse'': Hello there, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snap-your-windows-885a9b1e-a983-a3b1-16cd-c531795e6241#WindowsVersion=Windows_10Snap with a mouse feature in windows 10 is not working. Does anyone know how to fix it? -multitasking snap in in system settings are...
  5. Windows 10 Search Bar appearing with a weird grey overlay on the results.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search Bar appearing with a weird grey overlay on the results.: Hi. For some reason, my Windows 10 when using a search box on the start menu would keep on showing this weird grey square that covers up the results screen. This occurs whenever I simply press the windows key and type whatever. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all- as it...
  6. Windows 10 Search Bar appearing with a weird grey overlay on the results.

Windows 10 Search Bar appearing with a weird grey overlay on the results.: Hi. For some reason, my Windows 10 when using a search box on the start menu would keep on showing this weird grey square that covers up the results screen. This occurs whenever I simply press the windows key and type whatever. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all- as it...
  7. Windows 10 Search Bar appearing with a weird grey overlay on the results.

in Cortana
  8. Weird overlay on applications

Weird overlay on applications: Whenever I open some specific applications, weird lines appear over them. I am attaching a screenshot for reference. Whenever I move my mouse pointer over these lines, they disappear but they reappear after a few seconds. Any ideas how to fix this?...
  9. window snapping acts weird

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    window snapping acts weird: [ATTACH] Hey guys, i got a problem: The windows snapping tool doesn't work on my pc: Every time i want to snap a window to the side it snaps, but the window is slightly larger than my screen. See the following screenshots for further explanation (pay attention to the...
  10. [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour: Hi ! I've been having some trouble with Windows 10 lately. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS version 18362.778. Proc : Intel COR i5-9400f Several times per day, seemingly at random, an global invisible overlay appears and prevents me on clicking on anything...