Windows 10: Weird Windows Update issue - appears to be stuck

Discus and support Weird Windows Update issue - appears to be stuck in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello At least 2 of my PCs / laptops are stuck in Windows Update, with a Defender update download never completing and other updates waiting in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by swayzak, Sep 13, 2016.

1. swayzak Win User

Weird Windows Update issue - appears to be stuck

Hello

At least 2 of my PCs / laptops are stuck in Windows Update, with a Defender update download never completing and other updates waiting in the queue (see attached screenshot).

Can anyone advise please ?

Thanks

:)

swayzak, Sep 13, 2016
  2. John Ado Win User

KB3189866 appears to be 'stuck'.

Hi Mary,

Let's investigate this for you. We suggest you do the following:

• Start your computer in safe mode. Check if the Start menu is visible. Steps are

here
    • Let's perform a SFC scan to look for any missing or corrupted system files. Steps are

here

If it won't work, looks like we have to uninstall the update and reinstall it via

Microsoft Update Catalog
    . To uninstall the update, follow these steps:

• Type View installed updates in the Search
      box, then click OK.
    • Look for KB3189866 and right-click it.
    • Click Uninstall.

Let us know the outcome.

Best.

John Ado, Sep 13, 2016
  3. KB3189866 appears to be 'stuck'.

Thanks to all.

I restored to before the update which went well. Then I updated again and the update installed perfectly.

Thank you all for the help.

Mary

MaryBurnell, Sep 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Try booting to Safe Mode and renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\Catroot2 folders
    (Use search in C:\Windows\ to find Catroot2)

(You will lose your update history).

Then restart.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  5. swayzak Win User
    Thanks - what do I rename them to ?

swayzak, Sep 13, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Your free choice.. I used
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution - old
    for example. Later I can go back and delete them. Something easy to find helps in that.

Noted (I think) if you now look at the lock screen in settings, you can choose more apps to appear there. (That may have been there before.. but I just noticed it today post update).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird Windows Update issue - appears to be stuck - Similar Threads - Weird Update issue

2. WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...: Could somebody please explain why this weird graphics occasionally happens, it appears occasionally for few seconds and then gone, and then returns later but irregularly. I have read that it might be graphics card driver issue, but I do ask if it might be Windows 11 related...
  3. WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...: Could somebody please explain why this weird graphics occasionally happens, it appears occasionally for few seconds and then gone, and then returns later but irregularly. I have read that it might be graphics card driver issue, but I do ask if it might be Windows 11 related...
  4. Weird appearance on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird appearance on windows 11: I was playing video games one day and i started spamming multiple keys on my keyboard and then my screen went black. It when back and now, everything feels weird. The appearance on my apps and browser and different. Most of my apps have now no colors and theres some weird...
  5. Weird appearance on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird appearance on windows 11: I was playing video games one day and i started spamming multiple keys on my keyboard and then my screen went black. It when back and now, everything feels weird. The appearance on my apps and browser and different. Most of my apps have now no colors and theres some weird...
  6. Windows update stuck issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update stuck issue: Windows is stuck on downloading 100%. Tried restarting but no luck.My current version is 20H2.Could you tell me the steps to follow to update please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-stuck-issue/4a1a85de-3755-4053-b81a-731dabc85bb6
  7. Windows Update appears to be stuck on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update appears to be stuck on my laptop.: There is one update that shows "Installing - 0%" and one that shows "Downloading - 10%". It has been stuck in this state for about 4 hours. I tried the troubleshooter will not start with error code 0x800706BB. Anyone have a clue where to go from here?...
  8. Weird language appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird language appearing.: Hey there, thanks for checking this out btw but i have sort of a bugg, some programs that i use are half english and half a diffren language i dont even know if its a language see pictures below I have never had this problem, is it maybe because i changed my font? Thanks...
  9. Weird issue with firefox - "stuck" boxes of text

in Browsers and Email
    Weird issue with firefox - "stuck" boxes of text: I'm not sure where this should go but I'm guessing it's a browser issue. Since last week, I've had an issue with Firefox where randomly a text box from a portion of a tab will get stuck somewhere on the screen, and that text box will then be visible on all other tabs. Even...
  10. weird file appeared after update to ver1809

in Windows 10 Support
    weird file appeared after update to ver1809: Hi, I don't know if this is a problem for sure but I noticed that my C: drive suddenly lost 10 gb of free space. Looking at C: directory I noticed a folder titled 100 that used 9.91 gb that I didn't remember being their before; its subfolder 880 and 880 s subfolder has WINSxS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. du.centennial windows 10

2. remove du.centennial

3. what is du.centennial

4. what is du.centennial windows file,
  5. weird windows update,
  6. du.centennial windows 10 remove