Windows 10: Went to bed with Windows 10, Woke up with Windows 7

Discus and support Went to bed with Windows 10, Woke up with Windows 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; About a week ago I installed the free windows 10 upgrade on one of my home PC's, everything went good and installed perfectly. I woke up this morning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Redfire, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Redfire Win User

Went to bed with Windows 10, Woke up with Windows 7

About a week ago I installed the free windows 10 upgrade on one of my home PC's, everything went good and installed perfectly. I woke up this morning and the computer had reverted back to Windows 7 by it's self sometime during the night. It reverted back to a very old version I had installed, now it has the windows 7600 build not genuine version in the lower right hand corner. All of my documents and programs are gone.... I checked to see if I could restore to an earlier version and the only one listed was from 5:17 am where it had updated this morning.

Is there any way to change this back to 10 without a complete new install?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Chris

:)

Redfire, Oct 14, 2015

2. Black screen

I started the process of installing Windows 10 late or early this morning then went to bed, I woke up and all I get is a black screen, anyone know what to do?

Zoltak1980, Oct 14, 2015
  3. CodyXS Win User
    Cortana error code 8004100b support needed

This was exactly the case with mine. Went to bed woke up and she worked again

CodyXS, Oct 14, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have more than 1 operating system installed on different partitions/hard drives?

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Redfire Win User
    I do have multiple drives in the computer, it's possible that one of them had a prior windows install. I had not even thought of that possibility; I will unhook those drives and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Redfire, Oct 14, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like something caused the boot order for the hard drives to change in bios, then.

If you install and make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue disc/USB and boot the computer from that, there is an option under the Restore menu to fix startup problems. The first step of that utility will sniff out all installed operating systems (well, Windows at least, not sure about Linux). I'm sure there are probably other programs, even built in command-line programs in Windows, that will do the same thing, but Macrium Reflect Free is the way that I know and I have my rescue USB already made, so that is what I know how to use.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  7. Redfire Win User
    Thanks for the advice, I will try that tonight when I get home.

Redfire, Oct 14, 2015
  8. Redfire Win User

This was the issue, I went into the bios and changed the boot order back to the correct drive. Thanks for your help.

Redfire, Oct 14, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    No problem, glad to be of help and it was a simple fix!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Went to bed with Windows 10, Woke up with Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Went bed Woke

2. Windows 10 Setup Not Woking

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Setup Not Woking: my laptop is stuck on the startup screen where it says the time and battery icon, whenever I try to login, it doesn’t let me put in a password, stays there for about 2-5 seconds, then sends me back to the previous screen.before this happened, my laptop was going to bsod and...
  3. Windows 10 Setup Not Woking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Setup Not Woking: my laptop is stuck on the startup screen where it says the time and battery icon, whenever I try to login, it doesn’t let me put in a password, stays there for about 2-5 seconds, then sends me back to the previous screen.before this happened, my laptop was going to bsod and...
  4. Windows 10 Setup Not Woking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Update Woke Me Up At Midnight. Argh!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update Woke Me Up At Midnight. Argh!: 20H2 I keep a laptop on a shelf right next to my bed, just inches from my face. At exactly midnight last night I was woken by a bright blue light in my face. Apparently I forgot to shut down my laptop at bedtime. Perhaps I only put it to sleep, instead of completely shutting...
  6. Went to bed and now my computer is losing it's mind

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Went to bed and now my computer is losing it's mind: I can only assume this is from a recent security update, KB2267602 (the most recent one I can see, being from 6am 12/1. But I'm having mostly bad image error issues out of nowhere after my computer randomly updated throughout the night. I'm not able to visibly uninstall it,...
  7. Decided to update windows 10 before I went to sleep and when I woke up it’s now on this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Decided to update windows 10 before I went to sleep and when I woke up it’s now on this...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kurruchi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hri7lg/decided_to_update_windows_10_before_i_went_to/
  8. Windows 10 automatically went back to Windows 7???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 automatically went back to Windows 7???: I was away from my desktop for 90 minutes and when I came back, it is running Windows 7 instead of Windows 10??? What is going on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-automatically-went-back-to-windows-7/5fc7d419-c87d-4684-ac32-1375fb38bf50
  9. woke up to no boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    woke up to no boot: thursday night I put my pc in sleep mode fri morn I come back and find the bios screen displaying. I tried rebooting, and no go. It didn't identify the right hard disk. So I repaired the boot with macrium reflect recovery disk. I booted to windows, and after five minutes,...
  10. Windows 10 went back to Windows 7.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 went back to Windows 7.: Is that by design and can you get windows 10 back if it isn't by design. System restore won't restore it to 10. 60703